Should we dissolve the Supreme Court if we don’t like their decision?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:06 pm
jas wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:10 pm No, what a moron. you dissolve that and you lose one of the checks and balances of our government. While I'm sure some wouldn't mind, that would accomplish nothing more than our downfall as a government.
If you dilute it, do you not also lose one of the checks and balances? Have you minded having the court tipped in your favor?
the pendulum swings in both directions. People are not liking the new way it's swinging. Doesn't mean we've lost anything. Some just don't like the outcome they're used to getting.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:26 pm
Della wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:39 pm The Supreme Court has always been political. It's only when political beliefs are so divisive that that is seen as a problem.
It's divisive because it's so lopsided.
I think it's because it's the most conservative. Historically, the supreme court has been generally liberal (it was a conservative supreme court that decided Dred Scott). For conservatives, that has always been seen as lopsided.

I think the problem with the current SCOTUS is not that they are political, but that they are actively revisiting previously decided law.
Conservatism has changed drastically over the years. The right leaning justices reveal that.

I think you're right; they are revisiting. To overcome what they lost in decades past.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dissolved? No. But SCOTUS has gone unchecked for far too long. It was established by the framers and our founding fathers that decisions should not be politically biased and was grounds for impeachment. That it’s been ignored because it’s advantageous to one political side or another has created a flaw in our system of checks and balances where SCOTUS is concerned.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:35 am Dissolved? No. But SCOTUS has gone unchecked for far too long. It was established by the framers and our founding fathers that decisions should not be politically biased and was grounds for impeachment. That it’s been ignored because it’s advantageous to one political side or another has created a flaw in our system of checks and balances where SCOTUS is concerned.
I agree that the tenure system needs to be revised. It should not be a lifetime appointment, but should reflect the long term shifts in our population's understanding of culture and society. Since the voting population elects the POTUS, the judges should be more aligned with that vote.

I'd like to see a 10 year term for each judge to serve, then step down. Start with those who have already served more than 10 years and have resignation by senority every two years until they are all under the 10 year limit. Each POTUS should be able to appoint 1 new judge per term they are elected, more if someone voluntarily leaves the court during their term. The number of judges is not fixed so this need not be a major concern.

This would give us a SC more in line with current values and prevent any one judge or one POTUS from having more influence over the court than others.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk about dissolve but I'm fine with term limits for the Justices.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We need more justices added to the Court to stop the total nonsense too many extremist conservatives bring to the table. And yes, Amy Comey Barrett lied when she said she would support established law then voted to end Roe v. Wade which WAS established law.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:04 am We need more justices added to the Court to stop the total nonsense too many extremist conservatives bring to the table. And yes, Amy Comey Barrett lied when she said she would support established law then voted to end Roe v. Wade which WAS established law.
Kavanaugh and Gorsuch lied too.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic