White Rural Trump Supporters Are a Threat to Democracy DEAL WITH IT

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:47 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:40 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:26 pm

I feel like that’s normal…

Most of the time when people ask questions, they’ve already been exposed to a single bit of information that made them question one way or another…

I wonder where his information came from. Maybe there’s something here that would surprise me. That’s ok too.
Actually, I think this book (at least from what I read) would surprise you because it does just what you are asking - lot's of voices from throughout rural America. It states that Democrats have not been engaged with rural voters since Gore and Republicans have but not delivered. I think you would agree that if a political system is not delivering on promises then sometimes the only option is to disregard the political system? This book offers paths for actually serving the rural communities (granted, phrased in a way to appeal to Democrats) but shouldn't that service appeal to rural communities in general?

Rural communities are no different from other communities in the US. When they don't feel they are being represented by one party or another, they will seek out the opposing party. When they don't feel that they are being represented by the opposing party in a two party system, they throw out the two party system in favor of another form of governance. It's not that rural America suddenly "became" Republican after Gore. It's that Democrats didn't give them anything during Bush or Obama nor prior so now it's time to throw out the entire system and go for Trump. He's not going to give them anything either and they know that but shaking things up is better than the status quo.

We're starting to see this with Black voters and Arab American voters so perhaps both the Republican and Democratic parties should take note
OR we can elicit changes whereby we move to a multi-party system. Not going to happen in my lifetime but perhaps later.
That's what I see happening, but I don't see them taking note to listen.
It's because Biden chose to run again. If he dropped out right now, I think that Democrats could run a candidate who would clearly prevail in the general election. It would be party suicide to run a candidate against an incumbent. I don't think Biden will step down and I think he could very well lose.

I don't blame other voters for feeling that in this election, Trump is the lesser of two evils. I mean it's hard to be more evil than perceived to be complicit in genocide.

IMO, this election is more than just between two men. In the past, we have relied on the other two branches to balance the Executive Branch so having a horrid president, at least there would be Congress and SCOTUS to rein him in. SCOTUS will be firmly Republican into the next generation and the Republican plan for the executive branch basically renders Congress powerless. Again, this will be well into the next generation.

Many of my progressive friends have come to the conclusion that they morally can't vote for either. They're focusing on local elections and pulling up the drawbridge, becoming much more isolationist.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:23 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:40 pm

Actually, I think this book (at least from what I read) would surprise you because it does just what you are asking - lot's of voices from throughout rural America. It states that Democrats have not been engaged with rural voters since Gore and Republicans have but not delivered. I think you would agree that if a political system is not delivering on promises then sometimes the only option is to disregard the political system? This book offers paths for actually serving the rural communities (granted, phrased in a way to appeal to Democrats) but shouldn't that service appeal to rural communities in general?

Rural communities are no different from other communities in the US. When they don't feel they are being represented by one party or another, they will seek out the opposing party. When they don't feel that they are being represented by the opposing party in a two party system, they throw out the two party system in favor of another form of governance. It's not that rural America suddenly "became" Republican after Gore. It's that Democrats didn't give them anything during Bush or Obama nor prior so now it's time to throw out the entire system and go for Trump. He's not going to give them anything either and they know that but shaking things up is better than the status quo.

We're starting to see this with Black voters and Arab American voters so perhaps both the Republican and Democratic parties should take note
OR we can elicit changes whereby we move to a multi-party system. Not going to happen in my lifetime but perhaps later.
It's because Biden chose to run again. If he dropped out right now, I think that Democrats could run a candidate who would clearly prevail in the general election. It would be party suicide to run a candidate against an incumbent. I don't think Biden will step down and I think he could very well lose.

I don't blame other voters for feeling that in this election, Trump is the lesser of two evils. I mean it's hard to be more evil than perceived to be complicit in genocide.

IMO, this election is more than just between two men. In the past, we have relied on the other two branches to balance the Executive Branch so having a horrid president, at least there would be Congress and SCOTUS to rein him in. SCOTUS will be firmly Republican into the next generation and the Republican plan for the executive branch basically renders Congress powerless. Again, this will be well into the next generation.

Many of my progressive friends have come to the conclusion that they morally can't vote for either. They're focusing on local elections and pulling up the drawbridge, becoming much more isolationist.
I believe Biden is going to lose by a very narrow margin, but I don't think Trump will or would be any better regarding the genocidal tendencies towards Palestinian Arabs.

We are in for a few decades of more fights and division. If not worse than now. I look for America to falter in the next fifty years as it becomes a darker shade and younger people turn away from the status quo.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:26 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:23 am

I believe Biden is going to lose by a very narrow margin, but I don't think Trump will or would be any better regarding the genocidal tendencies towards Palestinian Arabs.

We are in for a few decades of more fights and division. If not worse than now. I look for America to falter in the next fifty years as it becomes a darker shade and younger people turn away from the status quo.
Oh I don't believe Trump would be better in terms of genocide but if a group or individual feels as if they are left out of the social contract with their governance, they are going to no longer want that form of governance. Viva La Revolution, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic