Not well with all these shootings

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son was locked in after dismissal time, at the high school, due to a shooter on the loose in a nearby neighborhood. Everything is FINE now. But this comes just weeks after processing the events at our local Chiefs parade.

Intellectually, I know I am being so dramatic. But emotionally, man, I am struggling, my hands are shaking, my heart is racing, it’s just so crazy. I am usually better at dealing with stress, but IDK, it is so unsettling.

Similar experiences?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am so sorry. I’ve lived in areas with civil unrest and violence and while scary, it was a matter of “stay here” or “don’t go there”. It must feel as if no where is safe for you. That is one of the many things that’s so insidious about random gun violence. Our community has not been hit with that - yet. I guess I should feel fortunate.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So sorry your family had this happen so soon after the parade events.

Our family has had school lock down situations as well. It took hours before it was resolved (older photo of a student with a prop gun, not an actual gun) and that time until they were released and the situation understood was dreadful. Honestly it was difficult to function until it was over. What we are asking students to endure on a regular basis is truly unconscionable.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

They lock down here for many situations so I'm really not freaked out about it. Could be a car chase, or they are serving a warrant in the area, a threat at another school etc. Maybe it's a bad thing but I'm just not phased by it anymore.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:58 pm They lock down here for many situations so I'm really not freaked out about it. Could be a car chase, or they are serving a warrant in the area, a threat at another school etc. Maybe it's a bad thing but I'm just not phased by it anymore.
They locked the schools down here because the convenience store across town was robbed (not armed some kids managed to get the register open and cleaned it out)
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Last year there was a lock down because a dad of one of the students came in the office for a meeting and brought a gun and ended up shooting himself and he died. He was being questioned about what his daughter told the guidance counselor which was about sexual abuse from him. But for a long time, we did not know those details and it was terrifying for the students and teachers and parents. I was grateful that my daughter was sick that day and stayed home from school! At the time of the lockdown, if she would have went to school she would have been in a class where her phone did not work because of no reception. My daughter has a bathroom pass as she has to pee a lot and of course she would not have been allowed to pee. But she was texting her friends in classes where there was reception and they were locked in the same room for hours and some were just playing cards and others were in actual hiding. Not sure why each teacher had the students do different things. There have been a couple of other incidences as well but this was the worst one. Sorry you are going through this OP! It's such a scary world! Hugs!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic