What do you plan to do when you're an empty nester and/or when you retire?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I've been fantasizing about retirement for several years. Now that I work for myself, I decided to take a couple of weeks off in December/January and enjoy those things that I fantasize about doing when I retire - art, reading, hiking, etc. Did it happen? Nope. Instead I became lethargic and unmotivated to do anything and counted down until I returned to work. Other than sleeping in, I hated every minute. I still plan to retire at some point but I realized I need a better plan.

What's your plan?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I dunno , it’s going to be weird.
For the twins I have 2 school years left until they’re off to college. YDD technically has 4 years left, but she might be on more of an individualized plan.

We’ve all been talking about them applying to colleges in London/ cooking schools in London and if they do and get in, we’ll ( Dh and I )buy a castle and turn it into a B&B lol.

Side note- castles are insanely cheap sometimes. You can get them for the same price as a regular house in the San Fernando Valley.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 pm I dunno , it’s going to be weird.
For the twins I have 2 school years left until they’re off to college. YDD technically has 4 years left, but she might be on more of an individualized plan.

We’ve all been talking about them applying to colleges in London/ cooking schools in London and if they do and get in, we’ll ( Dh and I )buy a castle and turn it into a B&B lol.

Side note- castles are insanely cheap sometimes. You can get them for the same price as a regular house in the San Fernando Valley.
My husband and I used to fantasize about doing that (villa in Tuscany rather than castle in England). We went to far as to hire a realtor and visit a few, lol. After entering year 6 of a whole house remodel, there is no way I have the energy or desire to do anything like that! But I do enjoy the YouTube channels of couples doing it. Just note that buying property in England doesn't mean you will be granted a residency permit but you can commute back and forth from US.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have like 20+ more years 😭😭😭
Who knows what the world will be like then
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:26 pm I have like 20+ more years 😭😭😭
Who knows what the world will be like then
Or even in 6 months.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

For me the second half of life is all about self-care. Going to the gym 4-5 times a week, long fitness hikes with friends, several travel adventures each year, reading, taking classes and pursuing my ongoing creative goals.

DH has always worked for himself in some capacity and likes to be busy everyday. So not much changes for him. Just need him to take more breaks to travel with me.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:29 pm For me the second half of life is all about self-care. Going to the gym 4-5 times a week, long fitness hikes with friends, several travel adventures each year, reading, taking classes and pursuing my ongoing creative goals.

DH has always worked for himself in some capacity and likes to be busy everyday. So not much changes for him. Just need him to take more breaks to travel with me.
I recently realized that I have spent the entirety of my almost 60 years trying to please other people. Choosing something that is just for me is TOUGH.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

We plan on selling the house after the boys are set in their post high school education/work paths. Then we are going to purchase a fifth wheel and be full time RV travelers. Our boys godparents did it for 3 years and loved it. Then one day recently decided to rent an apartment in Florida because they live it there.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:04 pm We plan on selling the house after the boys are set in their post high school education/work paths. Then we are going to purchase a fifth wheel and be full time RV travelers. Our boys godparents did it for 3 years and loved it. Then one day recently decided to rent an apartment in Florida because they live it there.
That sounds like fun! My aunt does this but in a tear drop trailer. She spends about 6-8 months of the year on the road and the rest of the time at her home base in Ohio. She's 83.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We had a taste of empty nest when both our boys were studying high school abroad. I started doing some catering, looked into starting my ravioli business, but now my oldest is back home and going to college. My youngest is a senior, so he’ll probably be doing the same this year. DH’s family just sold the family’s factory and started on an import business, so we have some savings now. We know we’re not going to live here long, we’re considering moving to Texas for a while, but we know we’ll be moving to Israel soon, he can keep working long distance and I can keep cooking for a living.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic