What do you plan to do when you're an empty nester and/or when you retire?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

We're two-thirds of the way there now with both of our daughter's living on their own.

Traveling is number one on our list...Many of the state's and parts of Canada.

The kid's are wanting to send us to Iceland but with everything going on there at the moment, that's on hold.

Otherwise, downsize to a different home and spend lots of time with our grandkid's. Grandchild #2 is due on Easter! 🥰
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I already am an empty nester pretty much. Two kids share my home, but we live our own lives. I don't have many options in that I'm limited on venturing out into this great big old world 😁
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:02 pm I already am an empty nester pretty much. Two kids share my home, but we live our own lives. I don't have many options in that I'm limited on venturing out into this great big old world 😁
I don't know the reasons for your limitations but I have my own. Without work and responsibilities, it's way too easy for me to just not cross the threshold and often times I don't. I have depression and anxiety and staying at home feeds into that however, the more I stay at home, the more I feel I can't leave. It's a vicious cycle and kind of scares me when I think about retirement and empty-nesting.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I want a small farm with a monster garden, orchard, berries. I want that now, but I think it may have to wait untill the kids are grown and out of the house.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:33 pm We had a taste of empty nest when both our boys were studying high school abroad. I started doing some catering, looked into starting my ravioli business, but now my oldest is back home and going to college. My youngest is a senior, so he’ll probably be doing the same this year. DH’s family just sold the family’s factory and started on an import business, so we have some savings now. We know we’re not going to live here long, we’re considering moving to Texas for a while, but we know we’ll be moving to Israel soon, he can keep working long distance and I can keep cooking for a living.
I was in the same boat as you, in that my son was away for a year playing hockey, now is back as he got traded to a team closer to home and can now stay here. But did you find that because you were still working nothing really changed? I found that I would still come home make dinner, workout, and everything I did while he was here. Just at time the home was really, REALLY quiet.

But when we retire, we are going to travel. I would love to sell my home and just travel for years on end, but I need my 5 months here a year to ensure I still have my health coverage.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Travel! We love to travel. Dh wants to get an RV, but I am resistant as I hate camping/glamping whatever you want to call that nightmare. We have pretty much decided to stay in this house that we bought 3 years ago because we have a pool and 10.5 acres and we love it here.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I dunno. I still don’t know what I want to be/do when I grow up. lol Becoming a mom who stayed home just kinda happened and made sense at the time. And here I am still 14 years later…I’m just winging it, I guess, and following and supporting DH with his ventures. My youngest is 7, so I have a few more years to think about it.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:11 am I want a small farm with a monster garden, orchard, berries. I want that now, but I think it may have to wait untill the kids are grown and out of the house.
Sounds nice... but also sounds like another job! I have a small garden, raised beds for vegetables, some fruit trees, blueberry and raspberry plants, herb garden and grapes. That is plenty for me - enough to enjoy but not another large work commitment.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:56 pm
CherryTreez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:11 am I want a small farm with a monster garden, orchard, berries. I want that now, but I think it may have to wait untill the kids are grown and out of the house.
Sounds nice... but also sounds like another job! I have a small garden, raised beds for vegetables, some fruit trees, blueberry and raspberry plants, herb garden and grapes. That is plenty for me - enough to enjoy but not another large work commitment.
It is work if you love and enjoy it? It sounds like Heaven to me.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:20 am
MonarchMom wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:56 pm
It is work if you love and enjoy it? It sounds like Heaven to me.
Very true... I have a lot of creative pursuits that other people would think of as "work." And you have the perfect name already - "Cherry Treez Farm"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic