Service dogs

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I think we've reached the point where there should be required verification you have a service dog for that dog to enter stores. Nothing complicated it could be as basic as their doctor "prescribing" a card verifying the patient has a service dog that performs tasks for them.
People are just taking advantage of it and it's ridiculous.
We were at the library trying to do some homework and there was a dog in there whining and barking. No correction either they just let him bark.
We were at the grocery store and someone came in with 5 dogs claiming they were all service dogs.
The amount of little dogs riding around in shopping carts at Walmart is unreal.
And the little dogs being pushed in a stroller in a store or carried around in huge numbers as well.
I saw 2 "service dogs" almost attack each other.
I also saw one snap at a little kid who was just walking by.
No these weren't all in the last week or anything like that it has been over time but it seems like it's getting worse and worse. I'll take my dogs to lowes or pet stores where they are allowed but never a grocery store. We require doctor verification of emotional support animals and they only get to live in a place that wouldn't normally allow them why not service dogs that are out in public potentially putting others at risk if they're not actually trained?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No. A service dog is medical equipment. My sister had a service dog and did not need anyone coming up to her demanding that she prove her disability when it’s not of their business. It would not be socially acceptable to make someone prove that they need their wheelchair, which can also be used to inconvenience and harm others if not used properly, same with a service dog.

There are already laws in place to prevent situations like this, people just need to be better educated on them. A person using a service dog must legally remain in control of their dog. There is a list of behaviors a service dog must be presenting in order to remain in the store. A service dog is not permitted to bark at others, snap at others, or show any other aggressive behavior, they are not permitted in carts, and the store employees should have had them removed. Keep in mind though that whining and barking is sometimes how a dog is trained to alert of a medical need. Barking at others is not permitted.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:39 am No. A service dog is medical equipment. My sister had a service dog and did not need anyone coming up to her demanding that she prove her disability when it’s not of their business. It would not be socially acceptable to make someone prove that they need their wheelchair, which can also be used to inconvenience and harm others if not used properly, same with a service dog.

There are already laws in place to prevent situations like this, people just need to be better educated on them. A person using a service dog must legally remain in control of their dog. There is a list of behaviors a service dog must be presenting in order to remain in the store. A service dog is not permitted to bark at others, snap at others, or show any other aggressive behavior, they are not permitted in carts, and the store employees should have had them removed. Keep in mind though that whining and barking is sometimes how a dog is trained to alert of a medical need. Barking at others is not permitted.
IMO, the problem is that individuals or store staff are required to "police" which is really an unfair burden (remember masking requirements during Covid). Unfortunately, there will always be the "rules don't apply to me crowd" which sucks. In my area, we can't even get leash laws passed <sigh>.

Legally you can ask: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? These two questions are effective in determining if a service animal is legit but I can't imagine a teen working at Food Lion is going to be comfortable asking those questions at the front door.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I agree that people have gone insane with taking their pets everywhere even when it's not appropriate. But it seems this is a losing battle because most Americans have turned to "pets are people too" so it's probably here to stay unfortunately.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You never know why someone needs a service dog.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:39 am No. A service dog is medical equipment. My sister had a service dog and did not need anyone coming up to her demanding that she prove her disability when it’s not of their business. It would not be socially acceptable to make someone prove that they need their wheelchair, which can also be used to inconvenience and harm others if not used properly, same with a service dog.

This dog was continually barking and whining while they stood there and completely ignored it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't alerting.
We already require proof for many things such as parking in a handicapped parking space. If a person needs a service dog they don't need to prove their disability they can just quickly show their card and without question the store employees can know they need have a valid service dog. Or it can be a prescribed collar or something thats easily seen without questions. At this point they can be asked if their dog is trained to perform a task and what task they perform and imo a simple card is less invasive than that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am

You never know why someone needs a service dog.
Who said anything about me judging why people would need a service dog? If you read the post it's about dogs who obviously are not service dogs not about amazing service dogs and the tasks they perform that greatly enrich the quality of life for so many people.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:57 am

This dog was continually barking and whining while they stood there and completely ignored it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't alerting.
We already require proof for many things such as parking in a handicapped parking space. If a person needs a service dog they don't need to prove their disability they can just quickly show their card and without question the store employees can know they need have a valid service dog. Or it can be a prescribed collar or something thats easily seen without questions. At this point they can be asked if their dog is trained to perform a task and what task they perform and imo a simple card is less invasive than that.
In my state, all service dogs must have a backpack, harness or vest that identifies that they are a trained service dog. But again, who should be responsible for turning dogs and their owners away? I mean my daughter does in her place of business but she's a pretty tough cookie. She knows some of the younger, less experienced staff won't initiate that confrontation.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 3

Unread post

We live in a dog loving society. They’re our best friends, our babies and they help us live better. Try enjoying the sound of barking.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:22 am We live in a dog loving society. They’re our best friends, our babies and they help us live better. Try enjoying the sound of barking.
I will not enjoy the sound of barking inside a library while I'm trying to help my daughter. I love my dogs but nope that's totally inappropriate. That dog did not belong there and was being very disruptive to everyone.you sound like a very irresponsible pet owner.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic