WWYD as a parent

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would sit down with my son and tell him that in no way was this acceptable behavior or action by a member of school staff and that he (with your support and presence) must bring it to the attention of the school admin. Also, let him lead on what he feels would be appropriate as far as a response from admin.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:22 am This theater teacher is obviously crazed and out of her mind that the show is almost here and things aren't ready or going well. I would ask her for a meeting so me and my DH could talk to her about what happened and let her know that what she did was unacceptable and she is never to put her hands on our son or another student. I would ask my son if he even wants to continue in the show. I have no idea what police and lawyers would do as suggested above??
The police take down the police report, since a teacher bodychecking a student is totally against the law…

And the lawyers get involved when the lawsuits come out if that teacher isn’t fired.
Well yeah a police officer can take down a report on anything. As far as a firing that rarely happens. Parents can demand a teacher or bus driver etc be fired but not much usually comes of it. Teacher says she did not shove she just put the kid in the proper position on the stage or whatever. Maybe she gets a 2 week administrative leave for "training" if that. IDK. This teacher sure is leading by a poor example. That's for sure.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:17 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:22 am This theater teacher is obviously crazed and out of her mind that the show is almost here and things aren't ready or going well. I would ask her for a meeting so me and my DH could talk to her about what happened and let her know that what she did was unacceptable and she is never to put her hands on our son or another student. I would ask my son if he even wants to continue in the show. I have no idea what police and lawyers would do as suggested above??
The police take down the police report, since a teacher bodychecking a student is totally against the law…

And the lawyers get involved when the lawsuits come out if that teacher isn’t fired.
Well yeah a police officer can take down a report on anything. As far as a firing that rarely happens. Parents can demand a teacher or bus driver etc be fired but not much usually comes of it. Teacher says she did not shove she just put the kid in the proper position on the stage or whatever. Maybe she gets a 2 week administrative leave for "training" if that. IDK. This teacher sure is leading by a poor example. That's for sure.
If bodychecking a student doesn’t get you fired, that’s when lawyers need to come out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:20 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:17 am

If bodychecking a student doesn’t get you fired, that’s when lawyers need to come out.
If the law/court sides with the SB, what next?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This. I’d hire a lawyer and press charges for assault.
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 am Flip my shit…

Id be calling police and lawyers.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Nope. Not happening to my kid. I don't care how big they are. My ass is in talking to the school principal. superintendent, and police. You don't talk to my kid that way and you sure as shit don't lay hands on them. I don't care if the whole F***ing musical gets cancelled. I damn near got ours cancelled last year because actors were trash talking the tech crew last year, not because they weren't doing their jobs but because of how they "dress'.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

At the very least take it all the way up with the school administration. There is ZERO excuse for behavior like that from a teacher. None. Should not be tolerated at all. Really, he should lose his job, and I don't say that lightly.

Let me tell you a little story that relates.

There's a guy I know though the community theater I am involved in. Essentially a good guy but has a habit of losing his temper and yelling at the adults when he's a director. He's retired but at one point last year he decided he was going to apply to our local school district to be a substitute teacher. Went through the background checks, training, etc all that's required. Got assigned to the Jr High (7th and 8th grade) in the district. Only lasted one week before he yelled at a kid and pushed the kid with his forearm. I don't think he even knocked the kid down, just pushed the kid with his forearm while yelling at the kid. For that one incident, he was banned from ever being a substitute at any school within the district. Not just banned from the one school, but banned from the entire district, for the one incident, in a district that is desperately hurting for teachers and substitute teachers.

If the guy I know could get banned for his one incident, then I would say your guy should definitely be banned for what he did.

Whether you take it to the police or not, that's up to you and I could support either decision. I guess for me it would depend on what the school did about it.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wait for that bastard in the parking lot with a tire iron. Let him know that tire iron will meet his teeth if he lays a hand on your kid again.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If this were community or professional theatre I'd talk to the stage manager and the producer about it first. It's the stage manager's job to keep the director in line during the rehearsal process and act as a go between between the director and the actors/production. But since this was a high school production, directed by a teacher and the stage manager is probably a student I'd request a meeting with the teacher or the entire adult production team and tell my child that if something like that happens again to walk off the stage.

During Tech week tempers can flare and people can freak out. I've seen some bad directors lose their shit and I've seen actors walk off the set until the director can get his act together. Physically shoving an actor is unacceptable in any level of theatre.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic