Dandruff

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anyone here have some tips on getting rid of dandruff? Also, is there any recommendations on a good scalp exfoliator product? That seems to help my daughter but we are almost out and need to find a different product.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Both my best friend and my son like the Paul Mitchell brand Tea Tree line of products for dandruff. There is especially a scrub product (for your hair, but in a flat round container) that seems to work very well.

We find it at Sport Clips but I think the same brand can be found elsewhere as well.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My derm recommends Nizoral.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I agree with the shampoo with Tea Tree oil.

Does your daughter use a lot of product on her hair like gels and hairspray? Does she rinse off her hair thoroughly when she shampoos it?
just an old coot 😉🌵
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You need to know what type of dandruff she has. For example small flakes usually means dry scalp. While large ones is too much sebum is being produced. Does she use conditioner on her scalp?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I feel like she gets small and large dandruff flakes. She has always had cradle cap since she was a baby and very little. I was peeling off large chunks even when she was 4! But I don't think it is cradle cap anymore as she is much older (16) and it's just flakes..not huge patches on her scalp. Her hair gets greasy within a day and at the same time has lots of flakes. So we don't know how to treat it...like it seems you would want to put conditioner on the scalp since it's dry but at the same time it's oily. I think she sometimes will apply conditioner on her scalp and sometimes not.
highlandmum wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:09 pm You need to know what type of dandruff she has. For example small flakes usually means dry scalp. While large ones is too much sebum is being produced. Does she use conditioner on her scalp?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She never uses any hair products on her hair except dry shampoo every now and then if it's extra greasy sooner than normal(within a day).
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:48 pm I agree with the shampoo with Tea Tree oil.

Does your daughter use a lot of product on her hair like gels and hairspray? Does she rinse off her hair thoroughly when she shampoos it?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 am I feel like she gets small and large dandruff flakes. She has always had cradle cap since she was a baby and very little. I was peeling off large chunks even when she was 4! But I don't think it is cradle cap anymore as she is much older (16) and it's just flakes..not huge patches on her scalp. Her hair gets greasy within a day and at the same time has lots of flakes. So we don't know how to treat it...like it seems you would want to put conditioner on the scalp since it's dry but at the same time it's oily. I think she sometimes will apply conditioner on her scalp and sometimes not.
highlandmum wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:09 pm You need to know what type of dandruff she has. For example small flakes usually means dry scalp. While large ones is too much sebum is being produced. Does she use conditioner on her scalp?
She should avoid applying conditioner on her scalp as this may be a reason for the flakes. It sound weird but applying conditioner to the scalp can cause dandruff. Conditioner is formulated for hair strands not the scalp, this could be the major reason her hair gets greasy within a day. Have her try only using conditioner for a few weeks and see if that helps. I would also look at a good detox shampoo/anti-dandruff shampoo, as someone mention Tea Tree Oil or one with salicylic acid.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son (age 17) is pretty much the same way. It started as cradle cap right from birth, and he had the cradle cap much longer than most babies, and then it just kind of morphed into dandruff. I don't think there was ever a period of time where he had a typically healthy scalp.

One time a hairdresser as Sports Clips recommended a specific routine with the tea tree products that I mentioned in my previous response. It was a type of on-again off-again routine that I can't remember specifically, and I doubt my son is really following it to the letter. But my point is that if you go to a salon that sells those products, they might be able to take a look at her hair and recommend exactly what routine she should follow to minimize the flakes.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 am I feel like she gets small and large dandruff flakes. She has always had cradle cap since she was a baby and very little. I was peeling off large chunks even when she was 4! But I don't think it is cradle cap anymore as she is much older (16) and it's just flakes..not huge patches on her scalp. Her hair gets greasy within a day and at the same time has lots of flakes. So we don't know how to treat it...like it seems you would want to put conditioner on the scalp since it's dry but at the same time it's oily. I think she sometimes will apply conditioner on her scalp and sometimes not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic