the end of democracy

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:47 am
Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:23 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:10 am

Republicans as a whole do not want to end democracy, regardless of what this idiot says in his speeches.
These Republicans do not represent republicans as a whole any more than the democrats who think republicans should be sent to reeducation camps represent democrats as a whole.
Republicans are poised to renominate (by an overwhelming margin), a man who tried to steal the last election when he lost, and who feels to this day he did nothing wrong in doing so.
Democrats believe that, Republicans don’t.
Republicans don’t think he did anything wrong, Democrats think he did.

That’s why they’re willing to re-elect him.
You project a lot of your beliefs on to Republicans as a whole.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:01 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:34 am

So we should just ignore what is being said at the largest gathering of Republicans because they don't represent Republicans?
What percentage of republicans do you think attended?
Which kind of republicans would go? The extreme ones that want to see these people in person, or the average republican voter?
Small percentage. But GOP has written out a plan for a Republican presidency, assembled speakers at CPAC who are reiterating that plan, have promoted that plan not just at federal level but state level so either Republican voters are ignorant or they like the plan. I don't think they're ignorant, do you?
IME, it’s both and to varying degrees. They are many who are ignorant or ill informed, and believe this is a Christian nation and that we should take back the country for God. That’s a common refrain. For many, it’s mostly about being against “woke” liberals. Fear of the other is a big part of all of this. There is also an element of ignorance of their own Christian faith, and that may seem weird to outsiders but for many their faith is much more cultural even if they themselves wouldn’t say that. But they have been much more influenced by Christian media, publishing, televangelist, etc. than their local church. And that is how NAR, Christian Reconstructionist, and other dominionist theology creeps in. Hopefully all that makes sense.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:07 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:01 am

He objectively did something wrong. The fact that people at best see shades of gray to what he did is a large part of the problem with the Republican party these days.
You think he did something wrong. Republicans don’t.

If you ask most republicans ( around here anyways, maybe it’s different in different places) but they’ll all say trump recorded a video telling everyone to stop and go home but Facebook and Twitter had to take it down because the current government told them to.

They don’t believe he tried to overthrow the government, at all.
Do they believe that the entire fake elector scheme was conducted without Trump's knowledge?
To be honest, I don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone at all address it in real life.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:01 am

He objectively did something wrong. The fact that people at best see shades of gray to what he did is a large part of the problem with the Republican party these days.

If you ask most republicans ( around here anyways, maybe it’s different in different places) but they’ll all say trump recorded a video telling everyone to stop and go home but Facebook and Twitter had to take it down because the current government told them to.

How are you okay with this? Do you agree?
I’m ok with it because it doesn’t matter if I’m ok with it or not… does that make sense lol?

It’s not something that has anything to do with what I believe nor does it matter what I believe, it’s what they believe and no amount of me being upset about it is going to change that.

So what’s the most logical next step if I was a democrat wanting the country’s politics to look more like my views want it to look?

Continue to divide half the country even more with these cases attempting to get his name off the ballot, or pick a candidate that people would be happy to vote for over Trump…?

Dividing the country will never work if we’re worried about the future of the country. Picking a better candidate would be the relatively easy option when choosing between the two.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm

I’m ok with it because it doesn’t matter if I’m ok with it or not… does that make sense lol?

It’s not something that has anything to do with what I believe nor does it matter what I believe, it’s what they believe and no amount of me being upset about it is going to change that.

So what’s the most logical next step if I was a democrat wanting the country’s politics to look more like my views want it to look?

Continue to divide half the country even more with these cases attempting to get his name off the ballot, or pick a candidate that people would be happy to vote for over Trump…?

Dividing the country will never work if we’re worried about the future of the country. Picking a better candidate would be the relatively easy option when choosing between the two.
With a two party system and the “winner take all” electoral college, we are stuck with the two party nominees.

I think who Democrats are trying to appeal to in unveiling the turn towards Christian Nationalism are not Trump supporters (too far gone) but the the 44% of Americans who are eligible to vote but just can’t bothered as well as voters who claim they just want lower gas prices. Also those moderate Republicans who are now called RINOs.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:35 am
Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:23 am

Republicans are poised to renominate (by an overwhelming margin), a man who tried to steal the last election when he lost, and who feels to this day he did nothing wrong in doing so.

So do you.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 pm

With a two party system and the “winner take all” electoral college, we are stuck with the two party nominees.

I think who Democrats are trying to appeal to in unveiling the turn towards Christian Nationalism are not Trump supporters (too far gone) but the the 44% of Americans who are eligible to vote but just can’t bothered as well as voters who claim they just want lower gas prices. Also those moderate Republicans who are now called RINOs.
None of them read axios or anything that delves into politics deeply…lol

They’re watching video game walkthroughs and crochet tutorials on YouTube…
Most of the country doesn’t even know what a Christian nationalist is.

“In addition to the 55% of Americans who are unfamiliar with the concept of Christian nationalism (or declined to say whether they have heard of it), 18% say they have heard at least a little about it but also say they do not know how to describe Christian nationalism, and an additional 2% give answers too ambiguous…”

75% of the country just doesn’t care…

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... guous%20to
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What of the truth? Do you really think everyone should just fuhgeddaboudit?

And since you know the truth, how are you okay with the insurrectionists regaining power?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:07 pm
Della wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:35 am

So do you.
I believe what they are saying. You do, and you seem to defend it.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Attempting to impeach a sitting president or prosecute an ex-president is indeed divisive.

That's why, on previous occasions, the president in question has sometimes chosen to step down, rather than make the country endure a protracted and divisive fight.

BUT

There there's something that is even more important than divisiveness...

And that's a message being sent to future presidents that a line exists, and that if they step over that line, then the country can and will hold them accountable. For a president who knows they are going to lose at the ballot box anyway, and is tempted to over throw the constitution, thinking they are legally untouchable is dangerous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic