the end of democracy

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:47 am
Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:23 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:10 am

Republicans as a whole do not want to end democracy, regardless of what this idiot says in his speeches.
These Republicans do not represent republicans as a whole any more than the democrats who think republicans should be sent to reeducation camps represent democrats as a whole.
Republicans are poised to renominate (by an overwhelming margin), a man who tried to steal the last election when he lost, and who feels to this day he did nothing wrong in doing so.
Democrats believe that, Republicans don’t.
Republicans don’t think he did anything wrong, Democrats think he did.

That’s why they’re willing to re-elect him.
Hmmm...Sounds like what you are saying is that "Republicans" do want to end democracy. They want to reelect a man who championed an assault on Congress performing their Constitutional duty during what should have been a peaceful transfer of power.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:21 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am
How are you okay with this? Do you agree?
I’m ok with it because it doesn’t matter if I’m ok with it or not… does that make sense lol?

It’s not something that has anything to do with what I believe nor does it matter what I believe, it’s what they believe and no amount of me being upset about it is going to change that.

So what’s the most logical next step if I was a democrat wanting the country’s politics to look more like my views want it to look?

Continue to divide half the country even more with these cases attempting to get his name off the ballot, or pick a candidate that people would be happy to vote for over Trump…?

Dividing the country will never work if we’re worried about the future of the country. Picking a better candidate would be the relatively easy option when choosing between the two.
What of the truth? Do you really think everyone should just fuhgeddaboudit?

And since you know the truth, how are you okay with the insurrectionists regaining power?
I think if we don’t move on we’re headed towards a civil war, and I’m not sure what that would look like in this day and age.

I’m not a democrat or a republican, but I am vehemently anti-war.

————////—————-////———-

Edit- scratch that. I don’t actually think we’re headed for civil war… I think we’re headed for seeing violence if this isn’t let go….

Not like a civil war that we went through in the past, but groups of people creating violence around the country.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:23 am
Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:23 am

Republicans are poised to renominate (by an overwhelming margin), a man who tried to steal the last election when he lost, and who feels to this day he did nothing wrong in doing so.

Hmmm...Sounds like what you are saying is that "Republicans" do want to end democracy. They want to reelect a man who championed an assault on Congress performing their Constitutional duty during what should have been a peaceful transfer of power.
How did you get that from what I wrote?

They don’t think he championed an assault. They think he told everyone to go home and some people didn’t listen. They don’t believe Trump should be held accountable for those people’s actions.

They *think* they know Trump will win the popular vote if it’s between him and Biden and they think the democrat’s mission to get trump’s name off the ballot is an assault on their freedom to choose a candidate… they think that is an assault on democracy perpetrated by democrats in power.

As I said… both sides accuse each other of the same things.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am

They don’t think he championed an assault. They think he told everyone to go home and some people didn’t listen. They don’t believe Trump should be held accountable for those people’s actions.

They *think* they know Trump will win the popular vote if it’s between him and Biden and they think the democrat’s mission to get trump’s name off the ballot is an assault on their freedom to choose a candidate… they think that is an assault on democracy perpetrated by democrats in power.

Why would they think that? DT lost the popular vote in both 2016 and 2020.

And as for the Jan 6th events, his call to "go home" happened after hours of violence at the Capital. He told the crowd to "fight like hell" and has called the convicted violent actors "patriots" and says he will pardon them if re-elected. He continues to champion their actions on the campaign trail today.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But the facts don't support this view of "both sides."
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:11 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am

Why would they think that? DT lost the popular vote in both 2016 and 2020.

And as for the Jan 6th events, his call to "go home" happened after hours of violence at the Capital. He told the crowd to "fight like hell" and has called the convicted violent actors "patriots" and says he will pardon them if re-elected. He continues to champion their actions on the campaign trail today.
They think that because they think it…
Because that’s how they project the 2024 vote to go…

They don’t think he led an insurrection…

It doesn’t matter if we don’t find that logical, they do.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 am
SallyMae wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:21 pm What of the truth? Do you really think everyone should just fuhgeddaboudit?

And since you know the truth, how are you okay with the insurrectionists regaining power?
I think if we don’t move on we’re headed towards a civil war, and I’m not sure what that would look like in this day and age.

————////—————-////———-

Edit- scratch that. I don’t actually think we’re headed for civil war… I think we’re headed for seeing violence if this isn’t let go….

Not like a civil war that we went through in the past, but groups of people creating violence around the country.
Please forget "what Republicans think" for a minute and speak for yourself. You know that Trump refused to concede the election even though he should have, and he had his lawyers create confusion in the electorate when they knew there was no evidence of wrongdoing. You know that Trump tried to pressure state officials like Brad Raffensburger and Rusty Bowers to "find him more votes," and that he arranged this scheme to send fake electors, and that he pressured Mike Pence to overturn the election for him, and was okay with his supporters hanging him.

Either people know all this, or they are in psychotic levels of denial about it. That is what is putting democracy in jeopardy. How do you figure everything will be fine if the insurrectionists return to power? Do you think they will start respecting democracy?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:32 am
SallyMae wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:21 pm What of the truth? Do you really think everyone should just fuhgeddaboudit?

————////—————-////———-

Please forget "what Republicans think" for a minute and speak for yourself. You know that Trump refused to concede the election even though he should have, and he had his lawyers create confusion in the electorate when they knew there was no evidence of wrongdoing. You know that Trump tried to pressure state officials like Brad Raffensburger and Rusty Bowers to "find him more votes," and that he arranged this scheme to send fake electors, and that he pressured Mike Pence to overturn the election for him, and was okay with his supporters hanging him.

Either people know all this, or they are in psychotic levels of denial about it. That is what is putting democracy in jeopardy. How do you figure everything will be fine if the insurrectionists return to power? Do you think they will start respecting democracy?
I know all that… I know all that, * and * I know that it doesn’t matter what I think.

It’s like those “If this, then this” problems they have in anticipatory anthropology classes..

If the premise is - All nonbelievers are in a state of denial, then there isn’t anything that will change that. As the last two years have shown us… every time trump gets another court case, his supporters get more emboldened, not less.

If the premise is- He broke the law, so his name can’t be on the ballot, then there will be half of the voting population who disagree and possibly become much more violent than what we saw Jan.6th. They will believe that their right to vote has been taken from them. That is when populations hold “uprisings”, as history has always shown us.

If the premise is- We can’t have him as president again because he might become a dictator, then the only way to avoid that happening without violence and civil war-type of hatred being held by both sides, an alternative candidate needs to be chosen by either the democrats or a third party candidate that both republicans and democrats can accept as a non-threat to themselves.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 pm

————////—————-////———-

I know all that… I know all that, * and * I know that it doesn’t matter what I think.

It’s like those “If this, then this” problems they have in anticipatory anthropology classes..

If the premise is - All nonbelievers are in a state of denial, then there isn’t anything that will change that. As the last two years have shown us… every time trump gets another court case, his supporters get more emboldened, not less.

If the premise is- He broke the law, so his name can’t be on the ballot, then there will be half of the voting population who disagree and possibly become much more violent than what we saw Jan.6th. They will believe that their right to vote has been taken from them. That is when populations hold “uprisings”, as history has always shown us.

If the premise is- We can’t have him as president again because he might become a dictator, then the only way to avoid that happening without violence and civil war-type of hatred being held by both sides, an alternative candidate needs to be chosen by either the democrats or a third party candidate that both republicans and democrats can accept as a non-threat to themselves.
You posted yesterday that “we’re all going to be fine whoever wins”. Given that you’re acknowledging Trump has no respect for the law or democratic process - he tried to steal an election through various means after he lost - what is that based on? Given that he’s done it already, why should anyone believe that he won’t engage in further anti-democratic and illegal activity to get his way if he returns to power? We certainly know that elected Republican officials and Repuvlican voters won’t have any interest in holding him accountable if he does.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm

You posted yesterday that “we’re all going to be fine whoever wins”. Given that you’re acknowledging Trump has no respect for the law or democratic process - he tried to steal an election through various means after he lost - what is that based on? Given that he’s done it already, why should anyone believe that he won’t engage in further anti-democratic and illegal activity to get his way if he returns to power? We certainly know that elected Republican officials and Repuvlican voters won’t have any interest in holding him accountable if he does.
I don’t think any of them do…none of them have any respect for the law or process and they’ll all try as hard as they can to take more power anyway they can.

That’s why we have a constitution and laws. Because everyone spanning back to the founding fathers knew this would continually happen…That’s what ultimately stopped Trump, and that’s what will keep whoever the next guy is in-line.

We will be fine whoever the candidate that wins is, what we need to worry about is population response to their perception of procedural and distributive fairness in the election.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:47 pm
Francee89 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm

I don’t think any of them do…none of them have any respect for the law or process and they’ll all try as hard as they can to take more power anyway they can.

That’s why we have a constitution and laws. Because everyone spanning back to the founding fathers knew this would continually happen…That’s what ultimately stopped Trump, and that’s what will keep whoever the next guy is in-line.

We will be fine whoever the candidate that wins is, what we need to worry about is population response to their perception of procedural and distributive fairness in the election.
It wasn’t the constitution and laws that stopped Trump - he lost his court challenges in the legal system, and still pressed on with his fake electors scheme, his attempts to pressure state legislatures and officials to improperly certify the election for him, and pressured Mike Pence reject the lawfully certified electors in order to become President again after losing. It was Pence’s refusal to go along with this that ultimately stopped him, but 146 House Republicans voted to reject the legal results. Trump still maintains he did nothing wrong with any of this. What happens if next time there’s no Mike Pence figure to refuse to go along with whatever antidemocratic and illegal scheme he cooks up when he doesn’t get his way?

None of that inspires any confidence that “we will be fine whoever the candidate that wins is” given that one of the candidates has demonstrated they have zero respect for democracy and the rule of law if it isn’t in his favor, and their party has shown zero appetite for any accountability for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic