Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:15 am
MonarchMom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:03 am
Pjmm wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:50 pm

I'm more interested in claiming those 400 plus bums, I mean, congresspeople in Washington DC but the IRS keeps denying the deduction. Like I'm paying for them to have better healthcare than I can afford. And people complain about the immigrants. Yes we have to secure our borders but At least they'll build our houses and pick our produce for us which is more than I can say for any of our esteemed representatives. Idc which party they're with I'm fed up with everyone equally. And I will keep saying it's damned hypocrisy to talk of protecting embryos when our children still do active shooter drills at school and that's the best we can do for them. When their mental health has suffered since Covid and no one cares. And the Republican party hates food stamps and anything else that will actually benefit living children. The Alabama Supreme Court and their ilk can go perform an unnatural S*x act with themselves far as I'm concerned.
My understanding is the GOP is against anything that would enable a woman to live independently of a man. The "family order" must be maintained with women subservient to men. So SNAP or other support for woman and children that would let a woman leave an abusive marriage are an evil.
Is this based on any real life experiences with the unavailability of help, or is this based off news stories?

Not sure about other states, but in Arkansas if you’re an abused woman you can get free shelter, free food, free mental health care, free lawyers, and sign up for victim’s reparations so your abuser has to pay you 10 grand, before the civil lawsuits happen.
Glad to hear that. I was not referencing specific laws but rather the current GOP/Christian Nationalist viewpoint on family structure. The goals seem to be the elimination of birth control, abortion, IVF (since women can freeze eggs to control reproductive choices), and no-fault divorce. The "family" unit must be primary and woman being dependent on husbands promotes this hierarchy. You may disagree, but that is where I see the party heading with proposals to bring back Comstock Laws to curtail information on birth control.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:06 am

My understanding is the GOP is against anything that would enable a woman to live independently of a man. The "family order" must be maintained with women subservient to men. So SNAP or other support for woman and children that would let a woman leave an abusive marriage are an evil.
Is this based on any real life experiences with the unavailability of help, or is this based off news stories?

Not sure about other states, but in Arkansas if you’re an abused woman you can get free shelter, free food, free mental health care, free lawyers, and sign up for victim’s reparations so your abuser has to pay you 10 grand, before the civil lawsuits happen.
Glad to hear that. I was not referencing specific laws but rather the current GOP/Christian Nationalist viewpoint on family structure. The goals seem to be the elimination of birth control, abortion, IVF (since women can freeze eggs to control reproductive choices), and no-fault divorce. The "family" unit must be primary and woman being dependent on husbands promotes this hierarchy. You may disagree, but that is where I see the party heading with proposals to bring back Comstock Laws to curtail information on birth control.
Goal is also to eliminate SNAP and limit low income housing, prioritizing married couples and their children.

What Slim listed is available to victims of domestic abuse in all states. However, usually food/shelter is for up to 30 days during which time, victims receive expedited low income housing, SNAP benefits, Medicaid, etc. If those federal programs are eliminated or unavailable for singles, it's really going to leave domestic abuse victims in a bind, especially those with children.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:41 am

For how long?
The victim’s reparations seem like something nice on paper, but not so nice and not particularly helpful in practice:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... ictims-is/

Quite the read about the board that decides this being insensitive/re-traumatizing to victims, chronically underfunded and backlogged.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://x.com/jbstwocents/status/176068 ... JJp08VIsbg

A viewpoint from a mother of medically fragile child.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don't think this is going to work out well for GOP long term. Interfering with a woman's right to conceive despite fertility issues is just further pissing us off.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:17 am
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:41 am

For how long?
The victim’s reparations seem like something nice on paper, but not so nice and not particularly helpful in practice:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... ictims-is/

Quite the read about the board that decides this being insensitive/re-traumatizing to victims, chronically underfunded and backlogged.
SMH 😒

"This wasn't designed to be the be-all and end-all for all expenses. It's meant to be a token," Church said."
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I am pro life and also a Christian Unitarian.

I feel that what Alabama has done here is appalling and completely unfair to women.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You can be pro-life and still understand that this is just ridiculous.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:57 pm You can be pro-life and still understand that this is just ridiculous.
It wasn’t a secret what the overturning of Roe would lead to: fetal personhood becoming entrenched in law, abortion bans & the associated risks to women’s health/lives because doctors have to weigh the risk of their own legal consequences when making medical decisions, and the potential for fertility treatments/contraceptives to be banned and/or heavily regulated by the government. This is a direct result of pro-life votes and efforts.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The anti-abortion movement first started comparing abortion to slavery following the passage of Roe. v Wade in the 1970s, in an attempt to link their campaigns to civil and human rights work. In the wake of the Trump administration’s support of the anti-abortion movement, a new generation of White male conservative Baptists, Presbyterians, and Christian Reconstructionists joined forces to advance the total criminalization of abortion. Referring to themselves as abortion abolitionists, this movement distinguishes itself from the self-proclaimed pro-life movement. Their leaders criticize this movement for being reformist, compromising with the Supreme Court (which they view as tyrannical and secular), and for failing to observe a conservative interpretation of the bible that calls for equal protection for the “pre-born.”
https://politicalresearch.org/2023/10/2 ... litionists
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic