Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:34 pm Thinking what this would mean in terms of pregnant women is mind boggling - everything from fertility treatment to custody to period tracking, ugh. I'm sure there are some pretty horrendous things that aren't even popping into my head right now. I'm assuming that even pro-life women don't want this for other women?

If embryos are considered children, what ramifications will that mean in abortion to protect the life of a woman? Currently our laws aren't written in a way to protect an adult's life over the life of a child.
I'm not super well-versed in IVF or anything like that but don't they usually make several embryos, because it doesn't usually take the first time? Anyway, as I understand it, there are usually "leftovers". Are those now going to be required to be implanted somewhere? You can't just discard children, obviously. Are they wards of the state? So many questions...
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:02 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:34 pm Thinking what this would mean in terms of pregnant women is mind boggling - everything from fertility treatment to custody to period tracking, ugh. I'm sure there are some pretty horrendous things that aren't even popping into my head right now. I'm assuming that even pro-life women don't want this for other women?

If embryos are considered children, what ramifications will that mean in abortion to protect the life of a woman? Currently our laws aren't written in a way to protect an adult's life over the life of a child.
I'm not super well-versed in IVF or anything like that but don't they usually make several embryos, because it doesn't usually take the first time? Anyway, as I understand it, there are usually "leftovers". Are those now going to be required to be implanted somewhere? You can't just discard children, obviously. Are they wards of the state? So many questions....
Yes and anti abortion groups have been going after IVF for decades. Usually in anti-abortion laws, there are carve outs for IVF but probably not for long.

But if you think that this is about protecting the life of the "child", think again. If you read reports from Heritage Foundation on IVF, the biggest negative of IVF is that it enables women to seek education and careers during their peak child-bearing years which has led to the decline in birth rates. Gotta work on building that Christian army!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:04 am

I'm not super well-versed in IVF or anything like that but don't they usually make several embryos, because it doesn't usually take the first time? Anyway, as I understand it, there are usually "leftovers". Are those now going to be required to be implanted somewhere? You can't just discard children, obviously. Are they wards of the state? So many questions....
Yes and anti abortion groups have been going after IVF for decades. Usually in anti-abortion laws, there are carve outs for IVF but probably not for long.

But if you think that this is about protecting the life of the "child", think again. If you read reports from Heritage Foundation on IVF, the biggest negative of IVF is that it enables women to seek education and careers during their peak child-bearing years which has led to the decline in birth rates. Gotta work on building that Christian army!
Shudders to think...
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oh don't worry, I've NEVER believed this is about saving children.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 am

Oh don't worry, I've NEVER believed this is about saving children.
I’ve seen birth control being under attack as well. Also, that should probably say white Christian army, because it’s gotta be certain brands of Christianity and definitely not liberation theology which is more widely believed/practiced by POC.

ETA: I meant to quote Wellpreserved. My bad…
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This is…not going to be good.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://x.com/taylormatthewd/status/176 ... JJp08VIsbg

For whatever reason, I can post links to Twitter but they aren’t showing up like they normally do. I highly recommend reading the Twitter thread that I linked and the Media Matters link. Here’s also a screenshot:
Attachments
IMG_5654.jpeg
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:35 pm https://x.com/taylormatthewd/status/176 ... JJp08VIsbg

For whatever reason, I can post links to Twitter but they aren’t showing up like they normally do. I highly recommend reading the Twitter thread that I linked and the Media Matters link. Here’s also a screenshot:
I know I sound paranoid, but these Republican christofacists are embedding themselves in all levels of government. It's by design.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:35 pm https://x.com/taylormatthewd/status/176 ... JJp08VIsbg

Speechless.

Lance Wallnau who has now partnered with Charlie Kirk?

I've started listing to Brad Onishi's "Straight White Jesus" podcast and I don't know whether to thank you or block you😅
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm Can they be claimed as dependents on taxes? Because I still have viable eggs and would love some additional tax breaks...
I'm more interested in claiming those 400 plus bums, I mean, congresspeople in Washington DC but the IRS keeps denying the deduction. Like I'm paying for them to have better healthcare than I can afford. And people complain about the immigrants. Yes we have to secure our borders but At least they'll build our houses and pick our produce for us which is more than I can say for any of our esteemed representatives. Idc which party they're with I'm fed up with everyone equally. And I will keep saying it's damned hypocrisy to talk of protecting embryos when our children still do active shooter drills at school and that's the best we can do for them. When their mental health has suffered since Covid and no one cares. And the Republican party hates food stamps and anything else that will actually benefit living children. The Alabama Supreme Court and their ilk can go perform an unnatural S*x act with themselves far as I'm concerned.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic