Do you base whether or not you’ll see a movie off of other people’s reviews?

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Are you more likely to see it if other people said it was good, or less likely to see it if other people said it was bad?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If I want or don’t want to see a movie, other opinions do not matter. If I’m unsure or on the fence, reviews and opinions of others may sway my decision.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends on the movie and the person. A friend, I might take their suggestion if I know we have similar tastes.......a stranger on the internet.....far more unlikely unless the review is well written with supporting details.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I know what I like - certain directors, styles, actors, genres. I don't worry much about reviews unless the above are new to me. Then I might read the review.

Other people's opinions aren't really a factor. I don't find my tastes line up with "popular" movies (or books) very often.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don't go to the movies but I base what I watch streaming on reviews - usually reviews from friends who know me and know what I will and won't watch!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Primarily, my choice of what to watch depends on who's in the movie, the subject and content, and the length of the movie though with streaming, we can pause and go back to finish another time.

We haven't been to a theater in ages.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not really. People can have different perspectives of movies, like I don’t like Rom/coms so I might say I thought it was really bad while my friend who loves them would say it was great. Rarely if it’s someone I know shares the same general views on movies tells me that it was really bad or boring, I might change my mind about seeing it but that’s pretty rare.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Nah. I learned that lesson when Pirates of the Caribbean came out. I had read a pirate book and really wanted a good pirate movie to come out. About a week later I heard that POTC was coming out. I waited several months (heard about it in Feb, it came out in May) for it and planned to go opening day. Then the review in the paper came out and the guy rated it a 4. I was like...should I? Shouldn't I? I finally said, "I've been waiting for this. Gonna go see it like I planned." I loved it! ...Hell, I loved it so much I went the next night, too. (I NEVER do that.)

And family swears by movies I know I'll hate, so yeah, I just watch the trailer, maybe get some basic info on what it's about, and decide on my own if I'll see it or not.

I think if I went by all the reviews and comments out there, I'd miss a lot of movies I really like, and end up wasting time on crap I can't care less about.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not at all. I rarely want to see movies in all honesty. I have not really seen a trailer in the last couple of years that was for a movie that I wanted to see.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic