Do you keep cash in the house?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The recent televised testimony by DA Willis focused a lot on her habit of paying with cash and keeping money at her home. This seems a common lesson in Black families, one she said her father taught her.

I have always kept at least a month's worth of expenses in cash at the bank, and several hundred in cash at home. I like knowing I can give the kids money if they are heading out with friends, pay a contractor for any minor service, tip people in cash, etc.

Do you do this? Was this something your family modeled?
“When you meet my father, he’s going to tell you as a woman, you should have at least six months in cash at your house at all times,” Willis explained. “I don’t have that much but I’ve always had cash around my house for years.”

Later, she added: “If you’re a woman and you go on a date with a man, you better have $200 so if that man acts up, you can go where you want to go.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fulton-co ... keeps-cash
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:17 pm The recent televised testimony by DA Willis focused a lot on her habit of paying with cash and keeping money at her home. This seems a common lesson in Black families, one she said her father taught her.

I have always kept at least a month's worth of expenses in cash at the bank, and several hundred in cash at home. I like knowing I can give the kids money if they are heading out with friends, pay a contractor for any minor service, tip people in cash, etc.

“When you meet my father, he’s going to tell you as a woman, you should have at least six months in cash at your house at all times,” Willis explained. “I don’t have that much but I’ve always had cash around my house for years.”

Later, she added: “If you’re a woman and you go on a date with a man, you better have $200 so if that man acts up, you can go where you want to go.”
My dad was a foreign service officer and my family served multiple postings overseas so there was always a substantial cash stash in the house. Same with my immediately family for same reasons. I have always kept a personal stash, especially when I stopped providing income to the household. Now that I’m single, I still keep several thousand in cash for “just-in-case”. My kids have more in cash as they hoard any cash they receive, presents/tips, lol.

Just before my dad died, he asked me to secure his cash bag in the closet. It contained over $50000 and “securing” it was no small feat!

ETA: short answer “yes” and “yes”
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hmm, sometimes we have cash on hand. It’s never been anything to make sure we have just in case. It’s always been a matter of convenience, I suppose. We have a small homestead, so buying local supplies and selling livestock is easier in terms of cash. Good money management was never really modeled for me. I grew up poor in a single parent household…”a good bust your ass to make ends meet” was modeled, but there was never a nest egg or lumps of cash.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Oh noooooooo, I am extremely paperless, and it use to drive my granny crazy. LOL! I still carry cash when I travel because she fussed so bad but that is it. But they didn't have the same trust relationship with the bank that we do now.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I keep a couple twenty’s in my wallet and probably a hundred in the house for petty cash. Otherwise, no. We buy some things from small “local” farms that only take cash but usually we just make a bank run before we go. I don’t frequently give the kids cash. We don’t keep all of our finances in one place so I’m not really worried about if something happened to a bank. Card purchases can be disputed and if someone steals your card it can be canceled, if someone steals your stack of cash you are just out of luck. My FIL was always very insistent on paying for everything in cash and hiding cash around the house.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lol not enough to pay for what she was paying for… she is lying like crazy.

I love how she believes that proof is one person saying so…as quoted saying “ The testimony of one witness is enough to prove a fact. “
…if true, that means she’s going to have a hard time as a prosecutor, right?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:17 pm The recent televised testimony by DA Willis focused a lot on her habit of paying with cash and keeping money at her home. This seems a common lesson in Black families, one she said her father taught her.

Just as an aside, I read an article about Willis’s father. What an amazing life he’s had. I also found his testimony believable.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 pm Lol not enough to pay for what she was paying for… she is lying like crazy.

I love how she believes that proof is one person saying so…as quoted saying “ The testimony of one witness is enough to prove a fact. “
So if I understand your reply, because YOU don't keep that much cash in the house SHE must be lying???

How about WellPreserved, who just posted a relative had $50,000 cash in the house? Lying also?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:11 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 pm Lol not enough to pay for what she was paying for… she is lying like crazy.

So if I understand your reply, because YOU don't keep that much cash in the house SHE must be lying???

How about WellPreserved, who just posted a relative had $50,000 cash in the house? Lying also?
I totally think she’s lying…

I don’t think she believes for a second that the testimony of one witness makes a fact…

I don’t think anyone other than mafia members keep fifty grand or more in the house, and that applies to all peoples lol. Or maybe they’re smudging the truth 🤷‍♀️.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:32 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:11 pm

I totally think she’s lying…

I don’t think she believes for a second that the testimony of one witness makes a fact…

I don’t think anyone other than mafia members keep fifty grand or more in the house, and that applies to all peoples lol. Or maybe they’re smudging the truth 🤷‍♀️.
Are wealthy people mafia members?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic