Wwyd?

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:35 pm Our boys attend Catholic school. The only faith based admission is for the tuition discount. However they were on probation for the first quarter. Any mishap regardless of how minimal could result in removal. So there is that option.

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:36 pm I would pull him out and send him to public school at least for the rest of the school year. Revisit private school options for next school year. My opinion on religious based private school is that education can be good, but usually the student and family has to sign a statement of faith and it your son attends based on a lie, he will think that behavior is acceptable as long as he doesn’t get caught. There are some great boarding schools out they both coed and single S*x but that decision shouldn’t be made without a ton of research and school visits as there are some pretty bad ones out there too.

This sounds like a situation that needs immediate action. Putting your son in public school until summer will give you a bit of time to think through.
I should have qualified my statement. Catholic schools can offer a great alternative and are usually more affordable than other private schools. In my immediate area, the only faith based schools are Christian schools that require a faith statement when enrolling from both students and parents. Sometimes I forget that there's a whole big world out there beyond my backyard, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It's gotten to this point for a reason.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 am It's gotten to this point for a reason.
Yes. It's called teenage hormones. I was trying to give him a chance to straighten up but he just won't. I thought if he got close to being expelled he'd stop but that's when he came back with the "If I get expelled I can come back next year" thinking even though me and the school have said that's not how it works. So this whole time he was thinking nbd I'll come back next year. And still thinks that.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Gotcha. We looked in a Protestant school, but they had a waiting list~they wouldn’t even let us tour, so I don’t know if they take all faiths, or not. I’m hoping we can tour them for high school as they just built a new building. Will have to see, because we’re not converting for school!
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:44 pm
Heyteacher wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:35 pm Our boys attend Catholic school. The only faith based admission is for the tuition discount. However they were on probation for the first quarter. Any mishap regardless of how minimal could result in removal. So there is that option.

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:36 pm I would pull him out and send him to public school at least for the rest of the school year. Revisit private school options for next school year. My opinion on religious based private school is that education can be good, but usually the student and family has to sign a statement of faith and it your son attends based on a lie, he will think that behavior is acceptable as long as he doesn’t get caught. There are some great boarding schools out they both coed and single S*x but that decision shouldn’t be made without a ton of research and school visits as there are some pretty bad ones out there too.

This sounds like a situation that needs immediate action. Putting your son in public school until summer will give you a bit of time to think through.
I should have qualified my statement. Catholic schools can offer a great alternative and are usually more affordable than other private schools. In my immediate area, the only faith based schools are Christian schools that require a faith statement when enrolling from both students and parents. Sometimes I forget that there's a whole big world out there beyond my backyard, lol.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 am It's gotten to this point for a reason.
Yes. It's called teenage hormones. I was trying to give him a chance to straighten up but he just won't. I thought if he got close to being expelled he'd stop but that's when he came back with the "If I get expelled I can come back next year" thinking even though me and the school have said that's not how it works. So this whole time he was thinking nbd I'll come back next year. And still thinks that.
And then where does he want to go for the rest of this year? The only way this will stop is for either him to be pulled like tomorrow or the girl. He just doesn't care at all and has no idea how much his future can be affected by this behavior and his flippant attitude about school. But I get it. At 15 I thought I knew better than everyone else also.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What are his grades like?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 pm What are his grades like?
Honor roll.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I can’t wait until our youngest is done with school, 2 years left. I don’t have anything to offer other than hugs. I’m sorry you all are going through this, better days are ahead. 💜
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:06 pm
KendallsMom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 pm What are his grades like?
Honor roll.
Wow. That makes the decision even more difficult..If his grades were crappy as well, I would lean towards public school. Why spend money if he's not going to apply himself anyway? But he's a good student other than these issues.

I honestly don't know what to advise but I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm
I’m sorry, but what you are describing is beyond teenage hormones. I’m not saying I agree with the anon above or that he’s a bad kid or you’re a bad parent, there is just more going on than that. Most teenagers have relationships and wouldn’t continue that kind of behavior when faced with expulsion and downplaying it to the level that he is, thinking he can just come back, when the school says he can’t.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic