Sunny Hostin's Mother Cried to Learn About Family's Slave-Owning Past: 'She Was Deeply Disappointed'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:20 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Yeah, you can't really "misinterpret" when someone is talking down to POC and telling them to "Get over" slavery etc. Sorry, but no.
That’s what I mean… I never said “get over” anything to anyone.

So perhaps you are…
This you boo?
Slimshandy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:38 pm
lol boo hoo. She’s one of the rest of us now.

What about this?
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:47 am
Let’s just say she’s going to have to be paying herself the reparations she believes she deserves…
Those are just from this thread. I'll be happy to grab some of your quotes from other threads where you demean black women/ WOC too.
You quoted me as saying “get over” it… I didn’t…

And I’ve explained exactly what I meant and why it was indeed unsympathetic to the topic at hand and where I believe the irony lies. She will be paying herself for the reparations she has said she deserves if there is a federal tax associated with reparations funding needs. Your only issue is that I don’t “sound” as sympathetic as you believe I should be. So you cry racism … Then you put things that I didn’t say in quotes to make it seem like I actually said things I didn’t. It’s never an argument that I say racist things, it’s that you “feel like” I say racist things.

( I like how you throw “WOC” in there lol… so it’s all women who aren’t white that you’re suggesting I’m prejudiced against now…throw spaghetti at the wall and see which strands stick)
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:07 pm

So perhaps you are…
This you boo?

What about this?
Let’s just say she’s going to have to be paying herself the reparations she believes she deserves…
Those are just from this thread. I'll be happy to grab some of your quotes from other threads where you demean black women/ WOC too.

And I’ve explained exactly what I meant and why it was indeed unsympathetic to the topic at hand and where I believe the irony lies. She will be paying herself for the reparations she has said she deserves if there is a federal tax associated with reparations funding needs. Your only issue is that I don’t “sound” as sympathetic as you believe I should be. So you cry racism … Then you put things that I didn’t say in quotes to make it seem like I actually said things I didn’t. It’s never an argument that I say racist things, it’s that you “feel like” I say racist things.

( I like how you throw “WOC” in there lol… so it’s all women who aren’t white that you’re suggesting I’m prejudiced against now…throw spaghetti at the wall and see which strands stick)
The sentiment of "boo F***ing hoo" and "get over it" are the same. Let's be honest this isn't the first time you've bitched about what you see as "unfair advantage" or reparations given to POC. There was a whole thread about a baking competition you were pissed because it was geared towards POC and you took offense because then your child wouldn't be able to participate in ONE out of hundreds of other potential competitions. Your prejudices are quite clear
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So perhaps you are…
This you boo?

What about this?

Haven't reparations always been discussed as being federally funded and wouldn't all American tax payers, including descendants of slaves be paying those reparations?

I guess this gets to the heart of what I found disturbing and offensive about your statement. First, it implies that only whites are paying reparations. Second, it implies that Hostin with a white slave trader ancestor now qualifies her as a payor not a payee. Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but that was why I asked for clarification. But can you understand that the notion that Blacks, who have European blood, should be payers rather than payees is offensive to many?

That's not to say that the discussion of reparations is not important or that everyone shouldn't have a voice and I fully recognize that people have differing views on reparations, all of which have validity. I'm just saying that reparations should never be about the percentage of European genes a descendant of slavery has. I guess that was my point when I erroneously used the term "altered" instead of "introduced".
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:25 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:16 pm

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Can you describe how you see the topic of reparations, or related issues?
My family was compensated for WWII, so I think slave descendants should be as well because the generational damage is on another level. That is why I’m fine with basing it off percentage.

Thanks for asking. I really think people make this conversation a lot harder than it should be.

I really think Black Democrats and Republicans need to put political differences aside to start taking the lead conversations like reparations, police reform and other Black issues.

A bunch of white people fighting over what they think we want or need isn’t working.
I'm so glad you posted that. Some of my recent views on reparations have been influenced by reading about reparations paid to those Japanese Americans who were placed in internment camps during WWII.

One thing that struck me recently was that reparations were roughly $20,000 given to each survivor or their surviving family members. I could be wrong about the amount. $20,000 seems like nothing to compensate for the trauma experienced nor the loss of property which sometimes was in the millions. That being said, some survivors saw it positively - at least they were being acknowledged while others saw it as demeaning.

I guess that's one of the reasons that I feel that a single monetary payout can be problematic however a concerted effort to build the Black community would demonstrate a better faith effort. Also, it behoves the federal government to enable a community to prosper! More prosperity, more tax dollars, lol.

Final thought (for now) is that any effort to improve prosperity for Black Americans has to address policing and prisons as that has been one of the major contributors to the inability of Blacks, particularly Black men, to accumulate wealth.
I thought it was closer to 30K but I don't remember the exact amount. You're probably right.
That is what I was always told. Japanese in certain areas had it harder than others, especially on the US mainland so reparations did not cover everything a lot of families lost. I'm sure that is probably why you have heard mixed reviews.

I'm not against a payout because that may be a better option for some families but for me, it isn't on the top of my priority list. Contrary to popular belief, its not all about a money grab and blaming white people for slavery..even though the conversation always seems to end up there. LOL
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 pm

My family was compensated for WWII, so I think slave descendants should be as well because the generational damage is on another level. That is why I’m fine with basing it off percentage.

Thanks for asking. I really think people make this conversation a lot harder than it should be.

I really think Black Democrats and Republicans need to put political differences aside to start taking the lead conversations like reparations, police reform and other Black issues.

A bunch of white people fighting over what they think we want or need isn’t working.
I'm so glad you posted that. Some of my recent views on reparations have been influenced by reading about reparations paid to those Japanese Americans who were placed in internment camps during WWII.

One thing that struck me recently was that reparations were roughly $20,000 given to each survivor or their surviving family members. I could be wrong about the amount. $20,000 seems like nothing to compensate for the trauma experienced nor the loss of property which sometimes was in the millions. That being said, some survivors saw it positively - at least they were being acknowledged while others saw it as demeaning.

I guess that's one of the reasons that I feel that a single monetary payout can be problematic however a concerted effort to build the Black community would demonstrate a better faith effort. Also, it behoves the federal government to enable a community to prosper! More prosperity, more tax dollars, lol.

Final thought (for now) is that any effort to improve prosperity for Black Americans has to address policing and prisons as that has been one of the major contributors to the inability of Blacks, particularly Black men, to accumulate wealth.
I thought it was closer to 30K but I don't remember the exact amount. You're probably right.
That is what I was always told. Japanese in certain areas had it harder than others, especially on the US mainland so reparations did not cover everything a lot of families lost. I'm sure that is probably why you have heard mixed reviews.

I'm not against a payout because that may be a better option for some families but for me, it isn't on the top of my priority list. Contrary to popular belief, its not all about a money grab and blaming white people for slavery..even though the conversation always seems to end up there. LOL
That's why it's so complicated! I can only imagine the look on a Grandma from rural Mississippi's face when a fed tell her "we're going to give you reparations by building you a highway!"
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:26 pm
This you boo?

What about this?

The sentiment of "boo F***ing hoo" and "get over it" are the same. Let's be honest this isn't the first time you've bitched about what you see as "unfair advantage" or reparations given to POC. There was a whole thread about a baking competition you were pissed because it was geared towards POC and you took offense because then your child wouldn't be able to participate in ONE out of hundreds of other potential competitions. Your prejudices are quite clear
And again…

Every argument you guys have about why I’m racist is always about me saying everyone should be treated equally, you saying that’s racist, and then we ping pong back and forth with insults…

I just don’t care… I don’t even care to disagree, if you think I’m racist, fine… that’s none of my concern.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm

That's why it's so complicated! I can only imagine the look on a Grandma from rural Mississippi's face when a fed tell her "we're going to give you reparations by building you a highway!"
I would hope they don't suggest a highway, given the number of communities and neighborhoods(primarily Black owned or other poc) that were evicted to make room for highways/roadways in the past such as in NY, NJ, and California, etc. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-fre ... 021-05-25/
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:54 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:26 pm

And again…

Every argument you guys have about why I’m racist is always about me saying everyone should be treated equally, you saying that’s racist, and then we ping pong back and forth with insults…

I just don’t care… I don’t even care to disagree, if you think I’m racist, fine… that’s none of my concern.
Neglecting or rather refusing to see the systemic advantages that grants you privileges not afforded to others and then complaining when others are approved to receive help to balance their disadvantage is in fact racist. It's like complaining about not getting a wheelchair even though you are fully able to walk without aid or assistance. You think it's "unfair" that someone else got the wheelchair "for free" even though you don't even need one.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:57 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm

I would hope they don't suggest a highway, given the number of communities and neighborhoods(primarily Black owned or other poc) that were evicted to make room for highways/roadways in the past such as in NY, NJ, and California, etc.
I guess I used the example of highways because that is one of the investments that the Appalachia Regional Commission has provided which has brought growth to previously inaccessible rural Appalachian communities. It works! Reparations should not be a one size fits all as different communities have different needs. However, I understand that when someone is in emergent need, seeing community/economic development as a form of reparation would cause an eye roll.

I also understand the need to be cognizant that the construction of highways have traditionally caused displacement of communities, especially communities of color. I would hope that construction of highways, especially those that are intended to enrich communities of color, would be planned in such a way as to benefit that community without adding harm. If a commission has a mission to benefit a specific community, they "should" do no harm. Department of Transportation's mission is not community based but has benefitted white communities over communities of color since its inception. I would hope that a specific commission to address reparations and inequities would know better and do better.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 pm
Haven't reparations always been discussed as being federally funded and wouldn't all American tax payers, including descendants of slaves be paying those reparations?

I guess this gets to the heart of what I found disturbing and offensive about your statement. First, it implies that only whites are paying reparations. Second, it implies that Hostin with a white slave trader ancestor now qualifies her as a payor not a payee. Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but that was why I asked for clarification. But can you understand that the notion that Blacks, who have European blood, should be payers rather than payees is offensive to many?

That's not to say that the discussion of reparations is not important or that everyone shouldn't have a voice and I fully recognize that people have differing views on reparations, all of which have validity. I'm just saying that reparations should never be about the percentage of European genes a descendant of slavery has. I guess that was my point when I erroneously used the term "altered" instead of "introduced".

If I’m wrong about my assessment, and it doesn’t matter to anyone which genetic lineage you have part of so long as your ancestors were legitimately held in slavery and generational maleficts were suffered-

What do you think about this story? Would this be a problem?

https://www.newsweek.com/california-rep ... ng-1765793
Concerns About The Current Eligibility Criteria

Some experts are concerned that the current language of the eligibility criteria might open the door for individuals identifying as White to possibly receive reparations money if they prove descendance and meet the eligibility criteria.

A person’s skin color is based on their ancestors, but it doesn’t tell a complete story of who their ancestors are. In a Grandparent-Grandchild span, a skin color can completely change but that doesn’t mean their ancestors changed. But this would definitely be a problem for most people who believe in reparation payments… right? If someone who self identifies as white but had half of their Black great-grandparents and beyond going back to the civil war? So why would that be a problem?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic