Younger generations

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Back in the day us boomers were taking care of over 8+ children at once. Millennials and Gen Z can’t even take care of one. How come?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Psshhh..I'm Gen X. I had zero desire to have more than two kids. I can't fathom more than two personally. It takes away from the individual time each kid gets when you have that many kids. I have a friend that has 8 bio kids and step kids and she will be the first to tell you how difficult it is to have such a large family. She is in her mid to upper 50's and I'm almost 49 to give perspective of age.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I only have 2 kids but I've cared for 35 at a time. I'm a homeschooler so I know a lot of large families who have no problem caring for their children and yes that includes millennials.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm a boomer (barely). I had two and then done. My parents only had one. My grandparents, both sides, had 4 and 2 respectively. I come from a long line of 1-2 and call it good.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My parents were the first of the boomers and none of their friends had 8+ kids. It was more like 2-4. The silent generation often had a lot of kids but I'd argue they didn't have trouble and also that it was a choice. The pill wasn't around till the 60s so many women didn't really have control of their fertility. You raised your kids because you had to, not because you wanted to. When you have a drug nick named mothers little helper it doesn't speak well for how women were doing. Functional alcoholism among boomers and stories from gen x of our parents beating us tell us the boomers didn't do too well either.

Millennial and Gen Z women and couples have a choice and they're making it. Few or no kids and enjoying life the way they want to. They're stupid if they have kids before they can afford it and selfish if they don't pump out a ton of little future tax payers so they might as well do what makes them happy.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have six kids. My parents are “boomers” (I say that in quotes because they are immigrants so they didn’t grow up in the US baby boom) and none of their American friends have 8+ kids. My husband comes from a very American family and his family with five kids was considered very big. Today the costs of raising kids are a lot higher and there’s less pressure on women to become mothers or to keep quiet when they are struggling. We make a lot of sacrifices and budget well in order to give our kids the life we want to give them. My husband had a great aunt who struggled with mental illness so her kids were basically raised by their staff while she was in and out of institutions, but on the outside they looked like a perfect family. Thankfully now we would have more resources for women like her and she would have had a better outcome.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:09 pm Back in the day us boomers were taking care of over 8+ children at once. Millennials and Gen Z can’t even take care of one. How come?
Millennials and Gen Z parents can't take care of their child(ren)?

Elaborate.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mortality rates for mothers and babies tracks closely with family size. As the average number of children per woman declined, the chances of both mother and baby surviving increased. Seems like a win win to me.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have a short attention span, so three is all I have the time for…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic