My high schoolers needed to do a history report on moments that changed the world…

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:20 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:07 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 am

I stand corrected!

I don't know the type of school OP's kids go to, but my daughter went to IB schools 1-12th and these types of assignments were given to the student body regularly. It was used as a check to see if students were able to write a clear paper and/or present. IB is really big on research and presentation skills so it was an opportunity for students to practice. What they chose to present wasn't nearly as important as their skills in presenting.

Just as an aside, I was struck by (but not surprised) by the Western centric responses by the student population. A student population in another country or with a nationally diverse student body would probably pick different "moments". In Zambia, where my daughter went to part of high school, I totally could see some students picking the opening of Nando's rather than McDonalds.
Oh no, my 🤔 was if they are advertising or saying its their 70th anniversary I was wondering why. I don’t watch commercials often anymore, they annoy me.

We do tend to be western centric. The general topic of moments that changed the world, there’s so many that it’s a good topic. Some of the chosen topics though seem like missed opportunities to see outside ones bubble.
I totally agree!

It really was a good prompt. I admit that when OP posted, I spent the day at work thinking about the topic and trying to challenge myself to not only think globally, but about the entirety of human history and the meaning of a "moment". It was fun for me but I'm kind of geeky like that.
Right now, with our political climate I might have gone with Martin Luther’s 95 these.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic