At least half of Gaza's buildings damaged or destroyed, new analysis shows

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Mr Scher, one of the academics who worked on the Gaza damage assessment, said it stands out compared with other war zones he's analysed.

"We've done work over Ukraine, we've also looked at Aleppo and other cities, but the extent and the pace of damage is remarkable. I've never seen this much damage appear so quickly."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68006607
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Precision strikes?

CNN report yesterday (?) on the IDF bulldozing of cemeteries in Gaza was an interesting watch.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:37 pm Precision strikes?

CNN report yesterday (?) on the IDF bulldozing of cemeteries in Gaza was an interesting watch.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not saying Hamas has not done wrong either for Palestine. IDF has a right to defend Israel. There was nothing excusable about the October 7th terrorist attacks on Israel. I 100% condemn Hamas’s actions. Israel has the right to exist and Jews have a right to live there safely. What I want to ask though is if terrorist extremists lived within Israel, committing a horrifying attack, and scattered to hide within populated areas of Israel, would you be okay with the military targeting those populated areas and killing thousands of Israeli children in order to kill the terrorists? I would not. Which is why I also can’t say I support the killing of Palestinian children in order to destroy Hamas terrorists. Children are children and I will always support children. I completely do think that some use the protests as an excuse to express antisemitism and they should be condemned. But others do not wish to extinguish Israel, there are many who just do not support the destruction of the Palestinian civilians who have nothing to do with the attacks. And honestly another big fear of mine if is that those who do survive will grow up with hatred of those who they see as the murderers of their families and they will in turn participate in further violent attacks in Israel and it’s never going to stop.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 pm [bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, that's the one. Now watch the CNN report when a reporter and camera crew were shown the tunnel by IDF.

ETA: AP article in case you don't like clicking on video links.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-pales ... ea2a2c2b3f
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, if they did it like the IDF has done it, yes. Israel has done everything in her power to minimize civilian casualties.
And be very careful with casualty claims here because all numbers come from Hamas and early in the war they were caught lying about that during their hospital “bombing” fiasco. They claimed that Israel bombed a hospital and killed hundreds of people (allegedly 800 at some point), turned out it was a misfired rocket directed at Israel that landed in the parking lot and at the most a dozen people were killed or injured. So take the information with a pound of salt and healthy skepticism. Ask yourself:
1) can I trust the numbers that come from a terrorist group that has lied about it in the past?
2) how many of these deaths are actually innocent civilians as opposed to combatants? (Hamas isn’t a legitimate military organization, they’re terrorists, they dress as civilians and use civilians as combatants)
3) how many of these deaths are actually children? Bearing in mind that Hamas will call anyone under the age of 18 a “child” and they use teenagers as young as 13-14 as combatants.
4) how many people have died as a result of the fact that Hamas hides in civilian buildings and prevents civilians from leaving to up the casualties?

Fact is, war is terrible. And there’s not a single one that doesn’t come with civilian casualties, including children. It’s horrible and it’s sad, but unfortunately it’s sometimes necessary. The difference is intent. Israel has no intent in killing innocent civilians, especially children and the elderly. Even with all those antisemites trying to accuse Israel of “genocide” and “war crimes”, the ICJ was forced to acknowledge (very weakly, but still) that this isn’t happening in Gaza. Every building that has been destroyed has been a legitimate military target according to international law. And Israel always warns with fliers, telephone calls and e-mails (because they do have lines of communication) what target it will attack so that innocent civilians can reach safety. Israel even waited for the evacuation south to be complete before starting attacking. They even helped to open an alternate route when Hamas closed the main one and either forced people back or shoot them if they tried to leave. If Israel didn’t care about civilian lives, or was hoping to retake Gaza, as some antisemites are saying, this war would have ended on October 8th, 10th at the most. And without a single loss for the IDF. They do have the military capability of wiping up Gaza and all it’s people without even having to go in. Instead, they did it carefully and they have risked (and lost) soldiers in order to do it with the lesser loss of innocent lives possible.
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 pm I’m not saying Hamas has not done wrong either for Palestine. IDF has a right to defend Israel. There was nothing excusable about the October 7th terrorist attacks on Israel. I 100% condemn Hamas’s actions. Israel has the right to exist and Jews have a right to live there safely. What I want to ask though is if terrorist extremists lived within Israel, committing a horrifying attack, and scattered to hide within populated areas of Israel, would you be okay with the military targeting those populated areas and killing thousands of Israeli children in order to kill the terrorists? I would not. Which is why I also can’t say I support the killing of Palestinian children in order to destroy Hamas terrorists. Children are children and I will always support children. I completely do think that some use the protests as an excuse to express antisemitism and they should be condemned. But others do not wish to extinguish Israel, there are many who just do not support the destruction of the Palestinian civilians who have nothing to do with the attacks. And honestly another big fear of mine if is that those who do survive will grow up with hatred of those who they see as the murderers of their families and they will in turn participate in further violent attacks in Israel and it’s never going to stop.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thanks! But CNN? Nah. Right up there with Al Jazeera, the New York Times and the BBC as sources not to be believed. But you do you. I haven’t read too many posts from you, but the few I have like that one make it clear where you’re coming from.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm

Yes, that's the one. Now watch the CNN report when a reporter and camera crew were shown the tunnel by IDF.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:07 am Thanks! But CNN? Nah. Right up there with Al Jazeera, the New York Times and the BBC as sources not to be believed. But you do you. I haven’t read too many posts from you, but the few I have like that one make it clear where you’re coming from.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm

I included an AP article.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://news.yahoo.com/opinion-m-exper ... 17094.html

John Spencer is an expert on urban warfare.

“All war is hell. All war is killing and destruction, and historically civilians are inordinately the innocent victims of wars. Urban warfare is a unique type of hell not just for soldiers, who face assaults from a million windows or deep tunnels below them, but especially for civilians. Noncombatants have accounted for 90% of casualties per international humanitarian experts in the modern wars that have occurred in populated urban areas such as Iraq’s Mosul and Syria’s Raqqa, even when a Western power like the United States is leading or supporting the campaign.”

nothing I have seen shows that the Israel Defense Forces are not following the laws of wars in Gaza, particularly when the charges that the IDF is committing war crimes so often come too quickly for there to have been an examination of the factors that determine whether an attack, and the resulting civilian casualties, are lawful.”

So far I have seen the IDF implementing – and in some cases going beyond – many of the best practices developed to minimize the harm of civilians in similar large-scale urban battles.
“These IDF practices include calling everyone in a building to alert them of a pending air strike and giving them time to evacuate – a tactic I’ve never seen elsewhere in my decades of experience, as it also notifies the enemy of the attack –

“Like all similar conflicts in modern times, a battle in Gaza will look like the entire city was purposely razed to the ground or indiscriminately carpet bombed – but it wasn’t. Israel possesses the military capacity to do so, and the fact that it doesn’t employ such means is further evidence that it is respecting the rules of war. It is also a sign that this is not revenge – a gross mischaracterization of Israeli aims – but instead a careful defensive campaign to ensure Israel’s survival.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:13 am https://news.yahoo.com/opinion-m-exper ... 17094.html

John Spencer is an expert on urban warfare.

“All war is hell. All war is killing and destruction, and historically civilians are inordinately the innocent victims of wars. Urban warfare is a unique type of hell not just for soldiers, who face assaults from a million windows or deep tunnels below them, but especially for civilians. Noncombatants have accounted for 90% of casualties per international humanitarian experts in the modern wars that have occurred in populated urban areas such as Iraq’s Mosul and Syria’s Raqqa, even when a Western power like the United States is leading or supporting the campaign.”

nothing I have seen shows that the Israel Defense Forces are not following the laws of wars in Gaza, particularly when the charges that the IDF is committing war crimes so often come too quickly for there to have been an examination of the factors that determine whether an attack, and the resulting civilian casualties, are lawful.”

So far I have seen the IDF implementing – and in some cases going beyond – many of the best practices developed to minimize the harm of civilians in similar large-scale urban battles.
“These IDF practices include calling everyone in a building to alert them of a pending air strike and giving them time to evacuate – a tactic I’ve never seen elsewhere in my decades of experience, as it also notifies the enemy of the attack –

“Like all similar conflicts in modern times, a battle in Gaza will look like the entire city was purposely razed to the ground or indiscriminately carpet bombed – but it wasn’t. Israel possesses the military capacity to do so, and the fact that it doesn’t employ such means is further evidence that it is respecting the rules of war. It is also a sign that this is not revenge – a gross mischaracterization of Israeli aims – but instead a careful defensive campaign to ensure Israel’s survival.
"But CNN? Nah. Right up there with Al Jazeera, the New York Times and the BBC as sources not to be believed"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic