Warren Jeffs

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I've just finished binge-watching several different documentaries on Warren Jeffs and holy crap. I knew the guy was a pedophile cult leader but I did not know some of the other absolutely evil things he did to destroy people's lives for seemingly no reason.

He has made his members give up their newly constructed houses and all of their businesses to other people for absolutely no reason. The person didn't do anything wrong, they weren't in trouble. Jeffs just did it because he could. And he knew they would listen.

He has made men cut off their wives and children, breaking up the children from their mom, and making the kids go live with other families. Again, the parents weren't in trouble, they did nothing wrong, not even according to their religion's rules. Just because he could. Just to f**k with people.

It made me think back to cafemom when there were all sorts of debates about whether or not the FBI should even be investigating the cult, whether or not the women and children should be separated from their husbands/fathers. I don't remember what I thought back then but I definitely think they should have been now.

It also reminded me of the uproar about Charles Manson and people insisting that since he was never the one to kill anyone, he shouldn't be the one in jail all these years later. I don't know a lot about Manson but the Jeffs thing made me realize that Someone having so much power and influence over people can cause them to be guilty of things even if they weren't the one pulling the trigger so to speak.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

All of what you describe is typical of cult dynamics. There is always a purpose to these actions - to isolate people and damage the bonds between members and their family or origin or friends. This makes them more dependent on the group for support, survival and acceptance.

All cults want members to see the group and leader as the primary attachment. This is true whether the organization is business (MLM groups), political, or religious in nature.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:27 pm All of what you describe is typical of cult dynamics. There is always a purpose to these actions - to isolate people and damage the bonds between members and their family or origin or friends. This makes them more dependent on the group for support, survival and acceptance.

All cults want members to see the group and leader as the primary attachment. This is true whether the organization is business (MLM groups), political, or religious in nature.
The documentaries did a much better job of explaining than I possibly could. While he was/is operating like any other cult, the level of conspiracy is much, much higher than what is seen in other typical cult leaders.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Haven’t watched that one, but I watched one of the Church of the First Born of the Lamb of God led by Ervil LeBaron. Yeah, cults should definitely be investigated. They are often abusive and dangerous.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yup. We've watched some documentaries on him too and it's horrible the things he's done.

Right now we are watching one about Ervil LeBaron (on Hulu) who back in the 70's was nicknamed "The Mormon Manson". He created his own cult under the guise of religion and he convinced other people to do his killing. In one instance, he tasked these two women to go kill a prominent, beloved doctor of the community. These women did it because they knew if they went back to LeBaron and hadn't completed the task to his satisfaction, then they themselves would be killed. No way can you not hold the true evil accountable in a situation like that.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 am Yup. We've watched some documentaries on him too and it's horrible the things he's done.

Right now we are watching one about Ervil LeBaron (on Hulu) who back in the 70's was nicknamed "The Mormon Manson". He created his own cult under the guise of religion and he convinced other people to do his killing. In one instance, he tasked these two women to go kill a prominent, beloved doctor of the community. These women did it because they knew if they went back to LeBaron and hadn't completed the task to his satisfaction, then they themselves would be killed. No way can you not hold the true evil accountable in a situation like that.
DH and I just binged that one a few days ago. I’m not sure how far along you are, but that’s not just the tip of the iceberg.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:36 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 am Yup. We've watched some documentaries on him too and it's horrible the things he's done.

DH and I just binged that one a few days ago. I’m not sure how far along you are, but that’s not just the tip of the iceberg.
We haven't finished it yet. We're not much beyond the part where they talked about the two women killing the doctor in his own office in front of patients. Oh, I think the last thing we saw was where police found Ervil in Mexico but didn't believe he was Ervil and they took in that Dan whoever thinking he was Ervil. I just shook my head at that part. Not a good look for the Mexican police.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Somehow he still controls that cult, even in prison. Its beyond my comprehension, and I grew up fundamentalist Baptist.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Jehovah's Witness is a cult but most people don't see that.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s cult mentality, brainwashing. We’re seeing it happen right now: the “us vs them” mentality, the idealization of leaders wanting discord to be the norm, the inability that this brainwashing brings to distinguish between good and evil …
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic