Woman At Center of Texas Abortion Case Getting Procedure Out of State

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A pregnant Texas woman who sought court permission for an abortion in an unprecedented challenge to one of the most restrictive bans in the U.S. has left the state to obtain the procedure, her attorneys said Monday.

The announcement came as Kate Cox, 31, was awaiting a ruling from the Texas Supreme Court over whether she could legally obtain an abortion under narrow exceptions to the state’s ban. A judge gave Cox, a mother of two from the Dallas area, permission last week but that decision was put on hold by the state’s all-Republican high court.

“Her health is on the line. She’s been in and out of the emergency room and she couldn’t wait any longer,” said Nancy Northup, president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which was representing Cox.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-tex ... f4d1e6e8bd

My thoughts: it's absolutely fucked that she had to travel out of state for this and everything about this case proved that even with exceptions, the AG and courts will fight tooth and nail to force women to carry to term even doomed pregnancies, risking women's health, fertility and lives.

I don't doubt Paxton's efforts to get the state supreme court to block the lower ruling was done in an effort to run out the clock on her ability to get care within the state and force her to travel out of state so his ghouls could file lawsuits against her and anyone who helped her. I also suspect he was banking on her leaving so they could then file to have her suit thrown out since she'd no longer be pregnant.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's disgusting. This should have been a medical decision on a medical procedure from the beginning. The gov't had no place in it at all. I'll never understand why people don't see how dangerous and unnecessary these laws and bans are.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's so sad she had to flee Texas to obtain a medical procedure. Hope it never come out which state she ran to. But I can picture Texas trying to charge her with a crime when she comes back.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There were so many that raised the alarm that cases like this were going to be the natural fall out of the end of Roe v. Wade and yet those voices were deemed as being hysterical as there were protections in place for women. Bullshit. The pro-life movement has never been about protecting women.

What this case and so many others show is that women of means in conservative states will be able to get appropriate medical care but women without means won't. This is exactly how life was prior to Roe v. Wade and the fact that we've gone back to that in some states is dystopian.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:03 am There were so many that raised the alarm that cases like this were going to be the natural fall out of the end of Roe v. Wade and yet those voices were deemed as being hysterical as there were protections in place for women. Bullshit. The pro-life movement has never been about protecting women.

What this case and so many others show is that women of means in conservative states will be able to get appropriate medical care but women without means won't. This is exactly how life was prior to Roe v. Wade and the fact that we've gone back to that in some states is dystopian.
I live in Canada where abortion is decriminalized and just a medical procedure but the Conservatives have just made it part of their official party mandate to "preserve life". I'm terrified that those lunatics are going to win the next election and we'll turn into the next America when it comes to rights for women and LGBTQ+
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Given how tenacious Paxton has been with this case in his efforts to bar her from the procedure, many are now wondering if he will attempt to prosecute her and/or her husband for getting the procedure. That isn't even considering how many dumb fucks will chomp at the bit to file their bounty civil suits against whoever helped her leave state and the doctor who did the procedure. I know the legalities are fairly clear about interstate travel and how laws work state to state, but Paxton doesn't care about the law or anything. He only cares about his power and ability to use Katie as an example to other TX women.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:05 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:03 am There were so many that raised the alarm that cases like this were going to be the natural fall out of the end of Roe v. Wade and yet those voices were deemed as being hysterical as there were protections in place for women. Bullshit. The pro-life movement has never been about protecting women.

I live in Canada where abortion is decriminalized and just a medical procedure but the Conservatives have just made it part of their official party mandate to "preserve life". I'm terrified that those lunatics are going to win the next election and we'll turn into the next America when it comes to rights for women and LGBTQ+
So DH and I have a running joke that when it appears I have started to adopt one of his less desirable traits he says "don't be me".

In that spirit, from us in the U.S. to you in Canada - Don't be us!
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What absolute cowards

jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:20 pm What absolute cowards

Cowards is absolutely correct. Their party is gunning for a federal abortion ban, they better be prepared to back up their stance because these kinds of questions are not going to stop and they need to face the reality of what they are proposing.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pro-choice IS pro-life.
Locked Previous topicNext topic