How do you make your mashed potatoes?

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

hotspice58 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:52 pm My mother would peel, cut into chunks, boil, hand mash with canned cream and butter. I, myself, have not attempted to this.
Canned cream? Like crema or like the coconut cream? I’ve seen both in stores and have wondered what dishes they are used for.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Peel, chunk, boil in salty water.

I prefer smooth but am too lazy to pull stuff out so I usually hand mash with buttermilk and butter.

Sometimes it’s sour cream, cheese, green onions and bacon. Sometimes evaporated milk and butter. Sometimes buttermilk, chives, butter and garlic
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Peel, chop , boil in water with salt. Strain and put in the bowl for my kitchenaid stand mixer. Add heavy cream, butter sour cream, mayo, garlic salt and pepper and mix it. I will sometimes add a bit of ranch seasoning as well depending on what I'm pairing it with.
Anonymous 1

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:08 pm I like smashed potatoes with peels left on. I usually use red potatoes, cut into chunks, boil with garlic cloves and milk, drain, add butter, salt and pepper, and cream and smash until they look like I like them. Serve right away or put in a casserole with melted butter on top and stick in a warm oven until ready to serve.
I should probably have mentioned that the only potatoes I ever peel are the brown/russet. Red potatoes are my favorite but where I live, they are so expensive. No need to peel white, red, or yellow potatoes, though! Yum!
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

I use Russets. Score across the skin, and boil. Drain and peel. Put back in pot to dry a bit. Put them through food mill. Add salt, heavy cream, unsalted butter. Gently mix. I don't like to over whip or mash because I don't care for the gummy texture that can happen.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:26 pm I have tried just about every recipe/technique out there, including all the viral recipes, and I find old school is the best. Peeling mashed potatoes is just as easy as any of the other techniques, IMO. I peel them, chop into large chunks, boil in chicken broth, let my milk and butter warm to room temperature, and mash with a masher. I also don't mind very small chunks, I actually think totally smooth mashed potatoes are less desirable. But if I want them totally smooth, I would just use an immersion blender.

What's your favorite technique?
Cook the potato, then use a big fork to mash butter into it.

I loathe the texture produced when it is mashed with milk or put through a blender - it reminds me too much of school dinners.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Quorra 2.0: I think the actual name is evaporated milk. You can tell I don’t cook much!! Although I’m tempted to get a device. I love mashed potatoes. Question: do you eat corn with your potatoes? I love that… but in an elevator with strangers who were talking about it. One person likes peas with mashed potatoes. Corn - yes!!
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

hotspice58 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:32 pm Quorra 2.0: I think the actual name is evaporated milk. You can tell I don’t cook much!! Although I’m tempted to get a device. I love mashed potatoes. Question: do you eat corn with your potatoes? I love that… but in an elevator with strangers who were talking about it. One person likes peas with mashed potatoes. Corn - yes!!
A friend of mine’s mom used evaporated milk in her mashed potatoes. They were good. I’m just weird over potatoes, well most fruits and vegetables really, lol. Corn and mashed potatoes are two of the few foods I’ll mix and the only way I’ll eat mashed potatoes. I only like snap and snow peas, so they would be super weird in potatoes.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Totally agree that mashed potatoes and corn are the only 2 vegetables that can be mixed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic