Does this matter?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

EDD59E40-8461-47EF-B294-7443DE8A1829.jpeg

When it comes to The impact on American life single parents vs. dual parenting families, Some people think it doesn’t matter… some people think it matters a great deal…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

You People have different opinions because everyone has different preferences. Some like traditional family/gender roles, some people don’t. Neither is wrong. The problem is that it is not a decision you (general) get to make for other people.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:57 am You People have different opinions because everyone has different preferences. Some like traditional family/gender roles, some people don’t. Neither is wrong. The problem is that it is not a decision you (general) get to make for other people.
Of course no one should be allowed to make the choice for other people… and single vs. dual parenting includes all genders. It’s kids being raised by one vs two.

But the question was… does this matter? Do you think the trend will have an impact of the future of the country as a whole, and if it does, will that impact be beneficial or negative?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Yes, but I agree with chaos theory, particularly the butterfly effect, in sociology. It’s not a right or wrong, it’s not one is better than another, it’s just that it impacts people directly(those within a given household) and indirectly(the society those impacted become a part of). I have no doubt in my mind that going to school, working, having limited time with Dd when she was young, having a strong support system that helped me raise Dd, all had an impact on her directly and those she’s encountered in this world indirectly. I know that Dh growing up an only child, with both his parents, how he saw their relationship, had an impact that sometimes was suffocating for me.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I think it will have (and in some cases already has had) a significant impact on our country in terms of education, healthcare, community and economic development, and a whole host of other things that I can't think of now, lol. I don't see any of that as negative.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

SlimShady wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:57 am You People have different opinions because everyone has different preferences. Some like traditional family/gender roles, some people don’t. Neither is wrong. The problem is that it is not a decision you (general) get to make for other people.
Of course no one should be allowed to make the choice for other people… and single vs. dual parenting includes all genders. It’s kids being raised by one vs two.

But the question was… does this matter? Do you think the trend will have an impact of the future of the country as a whole, and if it does, will that impact be beneficial or negative?
That’s what I am taking about. Sometimes it’s better to have two parents and sometimes it is not. It’s not the number of single parents that is the problem.

America needs to resolve the issues that created the dysfunction and division amongst family to begin with.
If that never happens, yes this will continue to get worse.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

SlimShady wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:24 am When it comes to The impact on American life single parents vs. dual parenting families, Some people think it doesn’t matter… some people think it matters a great deal…
How is "single parent" being defined in this context?

If a woman never marries, but has a partner who lives with her and actively co-parents the children, is she "single"?

What about divorced parents who live on the same street and, despite having re-married, maintain an amicable non-sexual relationship with each other and act in unison on parenting issues and split time with the children equally?
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Well, I have an opinion that will not be popular. I think it matters greatly. Think single parenting increasing is a negative. While providing room and board for children in a single parent household may be met as well as a loving parent, a two parent home ( and I'm not saying man and woman, just 2 parent homes) provides interpersonal relationship models for children. It provides ( assuming a loving marriage/relationship) models for conflict resolution, how to treat a spouse, speak to a spouse, communication, and so much more. And I'm not saying it should be bio parents.
There are many reasons why there are single parent home increases. However, generally speaking, I think a single parent home increase over a two parent home is another marker of social and community disconnect. And I think this has a direct negative impact on interpersonal , mental, emotional, and psychological on the future young adults in our country.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:31 pm Well, I have an opinion that will not be popular. I think it matters greatly. Think single parenting increasing is a negative. While providing room and board for children in a single parent household may be met as well as a loving parent, a two parent home ( and I'm not saying man and woman, just 2 parent homes) provides interpersonal relationship models for children. It provides ( assuming a loving marriage/relationship) models for conflict resolution, how to treat a spouse, speak to a spouse, communication, and so much more. And I'm not saying it should be bio parents.
There are many reasons why there are single parent home increases. However, generally speaking, I think a single parent home increase over a two parent home is another marker of social and community disconnect. And I think this has a direct negative impact on interpersonal , mental, emotional, and psychological on the future young adults in our country.
I think the rise in single parent homes can also be attributed greatly to suicide, mental health issues, health in general, mass incarceration, gun violence, etc. If “we” want to reduce the number of single parent homes, then we need to first address the causes of single parent homes that are not through choice as well as ensuring that those single parent households are supported.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

"Two-parent households" are an incredibly new phenomenon made possible only by industrial middle-class consumerism. People usually grew up in multi-generational groups with lots of different adults. If one parent died or left, grandparents and aunts and uncles were there to maintain stability. There would hardly be a "single-parent" household; homes would be multi-parent.

If economic conditions continue to contract, people will not be able to afford to live alone and we may see multigenerational housing become common again. It will matter a lot less if both birth parents are around. That could actually be good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic