another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:02 am
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:52 am
SallyMae wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:40 am

The bible can say anything, that's the point. It's time to start making it say what will help people instead of hurt them.
Eh… that’s something a non religious person who believes the Bible was created as a method of population control might say… which is fine, plenty of people agree…

But that is adamantly not what Christians believe. There’s actually a huge push within the Christian world to fight against that exact notion… they’re SUPER feeling as though there’s an anti Christian societal push that is trying to strip their religion away from them and change it to something that suits the outside-of-Christian society better…it’s why American Christians are turning right now… as a whole group they used to be all about Jesus, and now they’re going hardcore into biblical interpretations becoming law again.
Whose interpretation?
Christian Nationalists, which is scary as hell. Take a look at Stephen Wolfe’s Twitter…I dare you.

Though I’m not sure where she is getting American Christians as a whole are doing anything together let alone turn one interpretation into law. That’s bonkers. Christian Nationalist are trying to do that. They definitely not all of us though…probably not the majority either.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:11 am
SallyMae wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:55 pm I used to think the world would be better off without Christianity. It has so much baggage! But, that could take awhile. Lately I think it would be faster if Christianity had a New Reformation. There's a good message there that everybody already knows. We'd just need to convince people that fighting for the poor and against climate change is What Jesus Would Do.

To Christians, it reads as though you’re saying the world would be a better place without them in it.
Sounds like a them problem.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:27 am
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:13 am

Whose interpretation?
The majority Christian voting population in a lot of areas
So biblical interpretation in the Evangelical church is a democratic process?
No, it’s consumer driven. It’s been coined as the evangelical industrial complex.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/pasto ... stors.html
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

mommy_jules wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:13 am
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:52 am

Eh… that’s something a non religious person who believes the Bible was created as a method of population control might say… which is fine, plenty of people agree…

But that is adamantly not what Christians believe. There’s actually a huge push within the Christian world to fight against that exact notion… they’re SUPER feeling as though there’s an anti Christian societal push that is trying to strip their religion away from them and change it to something that suits the outside-of-Christian society better…it’s why American Christians are turning right now… as a whole group they used to be all about Jesus, and now they’re going hardcore into biblical interpretations becoming law again.
Whose interpretation?
Christian Nationalists, which is scary as hell. Take a look at Stephen Wolfe’s Twitter…I dare you.

Though I’m not sure where she is getting American Christians as a whole are doing anything together let alone turn one interpretation into law. That’s bonkers. Christian Nationalist are trying to do that. They definitely not all of us though…probably not the majority either.
I dont mean to say all Christians are doing anything, but many of the changes to American law are being spurred on by Christians.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

SallyMae wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:41 am
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:25 am And there is where the anti-intellectual arguments against Christians come in.

They don’t believe humans are destroying the earth. They do realize that the climate is changing, but from everyone I’ve heard speak about it, they think the earth naturally goes through cycles of climate change. That this is the normal way earth operates, we just don’t like it.
I don't think you speak for all Christians, or all evangelicals. Plenty don't think this. Also, a lot of the reason conservative Americans think this is because it has been heavily pushed by Fox News and Republican politicians, not because of church. There is just a lot of overlap there.

Many people who were climate deniers for a really long time have had no choice but to come around and I think even the most hardcore religious sects will have some who start to question. I think leaders will eventually stop telling people this, and start asking them to support change. We should try to make that sooner.
This is already happening.

https://careynieuwhof.com/five-real-rea ... eir-faith/

https://gravityleadership.com/deconstruction/

Also, here are a few Christian organizations that are fighting climate change or supporting environmental efforts to slow it…

https://interfaithpowerandlight.org/

https://www.creationjustice.org/

https://creationcare.org/
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:36 am

Whose interpretation?

I dont mean to say all Christians are doing anything, but many of the changes to American law are being spurred on by Christians.
No, it’s being spurred on by politicians and talking heads trying to get elected or gain power who use Christian language and rhetoric to scare people into believing they and their way of life is under threat. Most of what you have said in this post is coming from only one perspective and doesn’t even begin to cover the myriad of different Christian beliefs.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

mommy_jules wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:18 pm No, it’s being spurred on by politicians and talking heads trying to get elected or gain power who use Christian language and rhetoric to scare people into believing they and their way of life is under threat. Most of what you have said in this post is coming from only one perspective and doesn’t even begin to cover the myriad of different Christian beliefs.
There is no question that the purpose of religion is control...from a pastor trying to control his flock to a Buddhist monk trying to control his own thoughts to prevent suffering. Religious control is part of civilization's toolkit and people ARE going to use it to influence and control others, for good or ill.

Knowing this sociological fact, as we now do, should give us the insight to shape this tool in ways that are beneficial to humans. The separation of church and state, for example, is one great way we have learned to do this. Leaning into the most compassionate and civilized messages of Christianity - love they neighbor, shelter the traveler, care for the poor, steward our earth - is another way we could use this powerful tool we already have in ways that are beneficial.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:25 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:35 am

Did AI write this, or did you write it?

I’m not saying it’s bad if AI did write it, but there are certain parts of this that wouldn’t resonate with Christians.

( like - we’re not called to be “lights in the world”… that might be AI’s interpretation of “Jesus is the light of the world”… but Jesus specifically said what to do in times where the environment is about to kill you… sleep. It’s in Gods hands, not yours… the day of your birth and the day of your death have already been decided…worry not…and when Christians who are pro-coal read that “we are called to work the earth”, they think these methods of energy production were given to us by God, to use, and getting to that coal is part of working the earth…)
I was raised Catholic and we were told to be "lights in the world" (This little light of mine...I'm going to let it shine - Christians even have a whole song about it). God called for people to be good stewards of the earth and of each other. While sleeping during a storm caused by nature that we have no control over (and he had a bit of insider info there) might be trusting in God humans causing climate change isn't something we have no control over. WE caused it and it's our responsibility to fix the mess we caused because it affects more than just us. It causes hunger, death and suffering to other people and the creatures that we are supposed to be caring for.
And there is where the anti-intellectual arguments against Christians come in.

They don’t believe humans are destroying the earth. They do realize that the climate is changing, but from everyone I’ve heard speak about it, they think the earth naturally goes through cycles of climate change. That this is the normal way earth operates, we just don’t like it.
I think you might just be talking to unintelligent people who happen to be Christian. I'm not Christian any longer but I have never had a conversation with an intelligent Christian who claims that the earth goes through cycles or that it's somehow God's will.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

mommy_jules wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:18 pm
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:36 am

No, it’s being spurred on by politicians and talking heads trying to get elected or gain power who use Christian language and rhetoric to scare people into believing they and their way of life is under threat. Most of what you have said in this post is coming from only one perspective and doesn’t even begin to cover the myriad of different Christian beliefs.
I’m not trying to cover every Christian belief…

I’m giving my opinion on why so many majority Christian voters are voting the way they do, based on my experiences speaking with them about these issues.

Why do you think saying these things is getting those politicians into positions of power? Because the words the politicians use ring true for Christian voters. Even going by this post alone, their ideas that outside forces are trying to sway their beliefs is true…

Granted, we might all think we are trying to sway them towards a better future, but they dont believe it will be a better future and they feel like they are losing a way of life, so they’re trying to hold onto biblical values much more vehemently.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

PoplarGrove wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:53 pm
SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:25 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am

I was raised Catholic and we were told to be "lights in the world" (This little light of mine...I'm going to let it shine - Christians even have a whole song about it). God called for people to be good stewards of the earth and of each other. While sleeping during a storm caused by nature that we have no control over (and he had a bit of insider info there) might be trusting in God humans causing climate change isn't something we have no control over. WE caused it and it's our responsibility to fix the mess we caused because it affects more than just us. It causes hunger, death and suffering to other people and the creatures that we are supposed to be caring for.
And there is where the anti-intellectual arguments against Christians come in.

I think you might just be talking to unintelligent people who happen to be Christian. I'm not Christian any longer but I have never had a conversation with an intelligent Christian who claims that the earth goes through cycles or that it's somehow God's will.
The earth does go through meteorological cycles… that’s not a Christian belief, that’s something you have to learn in an anthropology class so you can predict the best places to look for fossils which may have been preserved by the environment at the time.

And from what I’ve experienced, all the Christians I know believe that God’s will controls all aspects of earthly existence, which would include the weather.
Locked Previous topicNext topic