Should we stop saying “people of color”?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm not sure what Ramaswamy is even talking about in this tweet but he seems to think the message is clear as he's re-tweeted the post multiple times.

Is he talking about the use of POC that many groups use (BIPOC is used now) when referencing issues (or achievements) within the BIPOC community - i.e., BIPOC authors, Mental Health Disparities in the BIPOC community, or groups like BIPOC women's health, the BIPOC project? Would he prefer the use of "non-white" <sheesh> or does he believe these groups should not exist?

POC and BIPOC are sometimes misused erasing the experience or group's identity - BLM is not a BIPOC movement, DACA is not a BIPOC issue, as Quora pointed out using it in the context of NAGPRA would be inappropriate. Often those misusing it are members of the white community some of whom for one reason or another are afraid to use the term "Black" or "Indigenous".

It is not unusual for groups to collate around shared causes as there is strength in numbers. I do find it strange to turn it around as being anti-white and or anti-American. Is LGBTQ anti-cisgender?

Ramaswamy seems as if he's trying to "All Lives Matter" the terms POC and BIPOC which would be typical of trying to appeal to the Republican base.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:33 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:28 am
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:24 pm

The “us” would be all Americans, but that wouldn’t change anything about certain groups being helped in different ways. India, Iran and Chinese immigrants don’t have the same equitable needs as Black, Hispanic and Native American women do though….
We already are “all Americans”. I think those who think of people of color as not being Americans are probably a very marginal percentage.

Do you think there is real equity, or even let’s lower the bar a little bit and say equality, in sports, specifically women’s sports?
Do I think there’s racial equity in women’s sports, or would this include former men who became women competing too?
Both. Do you think there is equity or equality for all women in women’s sports regardless of race and regardless of whether they are cis or transgender.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Maybe he feels unseen… if BIPOC is typically used now, that doesn’t have anything to do with Hindu Indians.

Maybe he feels as though it’s unfair to feel unseen because the term describing him is tantamount to “ other than white” and that feels like an erasure…

Maybe he feels like even when it comes to healthcare, a Native American woman might need different interventions than a Black woman and it’s medically dismissive to group the two together on the basis of their relationship to white people.

His viewpoint as a Hindu with Indian heritage might mean that he has a completely different take on this that someone who is White/Black/Native.
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:35 am I'm not sure what Ramaswamy is even talking about in this tweet but he seems to think the message is clear as he's re-tweeted the post multiple times.

Is he talking about the use of POC that many groups use (BIPOC is used now) when referencing issues (or achievements) within the BIPOC community - i.e., BIPOC authors, Mental Health Disparities in the BIPOC community, or groups like BIPOC women's health, the BIPOC project? Would he prefer the use of "non-white" <sheesh> or does he believe these groups should not exist?

POC and BIPOC are sometimes misused erasing the experience or group's identity - BLM is not a BIPOC movement, DACA is not a BIPOC issue, as Quora pointed out using it in the context of NAGPRA would be inappropriate. Often those misusing it are members of the white community some of whom for one reason or another are afraid to use the term "Black" or "Indigenous".

It is not unusual for groups to collate around shared causes as there is strength in numbers. I do find it strange to turn it around as being anti-white and or anti-American. Is LGBTQ anti-cisgender?

Ramaswamy seems as if he's trying to "All Lives Matter" the terms POC and BIPOC which would be typical of trying to appeal to the Republican base.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:48 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:28 am

We already are “all Americans”. I think those who think of people of color as not being Americans are probably a very marginal percentage.

Do you think there is real equity, or even let’s lower the bar a little bit and say equality, in sports, specifically women’s sports?
Do I think there’s racial equity in women’s sports, or would this include former men who became women competing too?
Both. Do you think there is equity or equality for all women in women’s sports regardless of race and regardless of whether they are cis or transgender.
I think the admittance of former men into women’s sports is destroying any equity or equality.

I think there is racial equality… I don’t think your race will hold you back.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:50 am Maybe he feels unseen… if BIPOC is typically used now, that doesn’t have anything to do with Hindu Indians.

Maybe he feels as though it’s unfair to feel unseen because the term describing him is tantamount to “ other than white” and that feels like an erasure…

Maybe he feels like even when it comes to healthcare, a Native American woman might need different interventions than a Black woman and it’s medically dismissive to group the two together on the basis of their relationship to white people.

His viewpoint as a Hindu with Indian heritage might mean that he has a completely different take on this that someone who is White/Black/Native.
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:35 am I'm not sure what Ramaswamy is even talking about in this tweet but he seems to think the message is clear as he's re-tweeted the post multiple times.

How does POC or BIPOC not include most Hindu Indians?

As far as mental health care, BIPOC Mental Health Care Week last summer addressed the disparities in mental health care of the BIPOC community while also addressing the causes of that disparity within each group of the BIPOC community, for example, cultural hesitancy towards mental healthcare that is present in some groups including the Indian and Hispanic communities. There is nothing wrong with that.

Ramaswamy doesn't like the use of the term BIPOC not because he feels left out, he doesn't like it because he feels as if the focus on diversity and racial inequality has come at the cost of national unity and this is part of the current Republican Party platform ranging from "All Lives Matter" to "White Replacement". Has racial equality for all persons in the US has been met so "we" should no longer focus on racial inequality? Is celebrating diversity detrimental to unity as a nation? Is white nationalism a good thing?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

POC would include him, but BIPOC means the specific people of color who are black and indigenous.
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:50 am Maybe he feels unseen… if BIPOC is typically used now, that doesn’t have anything to do with Hindu Indians.

As far as mental health care, BIPOC Mental Health Care Week last summer addressed the disparities in mental health care of the BIPOC community while also addressing the causes of that disparity within each group of the BIPOC community, for example, cultural hesitancy towards mental healthcare that is present in some groups including the Indian and Hispanic communities. There is nothing wrong with that.

Ramaswamy doesn't like the use of the term BIPOC not because he feels left out, he doesn't like it because he feels as if the focus on diversity and racial inequality has come at the cost of national unity and this is part of the current Republican Party platform ranging from "All Lives Matter" to "White Replacement". Has racial equality for all persons in the US has been met so "we" should no longer focus on racial inequality? Is celebrating diversity detrimental to unity as a nation? Is white nationalism a good thing?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am POC would include him, but BIPOC means the specific people of color who are black and indigenous.

That's not what BIPOC means, lol. Black, Indigenous, AND People of Color.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:18 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am POC would include him, but BIPOC means the specific people of color who are black and indigenous.

That's not what BIPOC means, lol. Black, Indigenous, AND People of Color.
Ok.

So Black people are seen, Indigenous are seen, and an Indian would be grouped in with the “rest of the people of color” group? Wouldn’t that still mean he could feel unseen?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:52 am

I think the admittance of former men into women’s sports is destroying any equity or equality.

I agree. Why do you think that is? If we are creating a larger “us”, being inclusive, pushing for all people who identify as female to be in the “us” of “all women” why is it destroying equity or equality? What voice is dominating the conversation, the changes, the standards? Transgender women, particularly athletes, have said we should error on the side of inclusion, not equality. They recognize that both are not possible at this time.

The theory seems to be to create a larger inclusive “us”. Push society for all people who identify as American to be in the “us” of “all Americans”. We haven’t obtained equality, let alone equity, yet somehow this will be magically changed by changing to an all inclusive “us” the theory’s already been tested. It is destroying equity and equality.

For “us” to become “all Americans” we need to become an equitable nation. We need it to be cemented and secured. We need to let people heal so that we can move forward and then we can be “us” as in “all Americans”. We can’t keep skipping steps just because we want the finished product. We have to go through the frustration, pain, and time, the step by step assembly, make sure everything is in the right place, tighten the bolts, etc. otherwise it just keeps falling apart.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:47 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:52 am

I agree. Why do you think that is? If we are creating a larger “us”, being inclusive, pushing for all people who identify as female to be in the “us” of “all women” why is it destroying equity or equality? What voice is dominating the conversation, the changes, the standards? Transgender women, particularly athletes, have said we should error on the side of inclusion, not equality. They recognize that both are not possible at this time.

The theory seems to be to create a larger inclusive “us”. Push society for all people who identify as American to be in the “us” of “all Americans”. We haven’t obtained equality, let alone equity, yet somehow this will be magically changed by changing to an all inclusive “us” the theory’s already been tested. It is destroying equity and equality.

For “us” to become “all Americans” we need to become an equitable nation. We need it to be cemented and secured. We need to let people heal so that we can move forward and then we can be “us” as in “all Americans”. We can’t keep skipping steps just because we want the finished product. We have to go through the frustration, pain, and time, the step by step assembly, make sure everything is in the right place, tighten the bolts, etc. otherwise it just keeps falling apart.
It’s a bit different of a situation though…

There will never be equality in sports between the male body and the female body. It’s not something we should strive for… it’s not something we should try to attain.
Locked Previous topicNext topic