Should we stop saying “people of color”?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:19 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:47 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:16 pm

Hmm…

So negative connotations are why there’s a needed divider between white people and everyone else. We need to uphold that stereotype in order for anyone who isn’t white to heal.

We’ve already come to the conclusion that holding truth behind the stereotypes that are held against Black people, Hispanic people, Asian people ect. Are wrong, unhealthy and lead to further disputes… but when it comes to white people, holding onto those stereotypes in modern day typical language is needed.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what “separating themselves from the extremists” means in this context?
All groups have their areas of improvement. I’m explaining to you why minorities still separate themselves from whites and why we are not going to stop using the term person of color.
Ok… but you just demonstrated why minorities separate themselves from white people using untrue and racially negative stereotypes to illustrate why the separation should be upheld…

Of course you should use whatever terminology you choose, but the question of whether or not this is the most beneficial action to create a better future of inclusion in this country still stands for me…
No I didn’t.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:22 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:56 pm
SallyMae wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:27 pm Ramaswamy is dogwhistling to white Republican voters who are tired of feeling like people blame them personally for racial enmity. Ironically, he is whitewashing the exact reason why Trump Republicans will never support him.

I think we should directly address the needs of white Republican voters who are tired of feeling like people blame them. But this tweet is just chum.
Very well said. I don’t have a problem of White Republicans feeling unfairly demonized, because it’s true. But don’t use a minority’s opinion to pander and micromanage how we use the term person of color or force us to consider ourselves all the same thing.
So this is what is confusing to me… you believe it is true that some white republicans are unfairly demonized even though you believe the racially negative stereotypes are defendable,

And you are against a statement (by a POC) saying you shouldn’t all be grouped into the same thing, and don’t want anyone to force you to consider yourself as the same thing…aren’t those two sentences one and the same?
I don’t see what you are so confused about. I said that it is not all White people, so that includes Republicans.

I am against telling people not to use the term POC and refusing to take no for an answer.

Please stop putting words in my mouth instead of listening. We can agree to disagree if that is the direction this is going.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:19 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:56 pm

Very well said. I don’t have a problem of White Republicans feeling unfairly demonized, because it’s true. But don’t use a minority’s opinion to pander and micromanage how we use the term person of color or force us to consider ourselves all the same thing.
So this is what is confusing to me… you believe it is true that some white republicans are unfairly demonized even though you believe the racially negative stereotypes are defendable,

And you are against a statement (by a POC) saying you shouldn’t all be grouped into the same thing, and don’t want anyone to force you to consider yourself as the same thing…aren’t those two sentences one and the same?
I don’t see what you are so confused about. I said that it is not all White people, so that includes Republicans.

I am against telling people not to use the term POC and refusing to take no for an answer.

Please stop putting words in my mouth instead of listening. We can agree to disagree if that is the direction this is going.
You did say it wasn’t “all” white people, just a lot… which lets Face it , is the same thing racist white people say when they’re propping up negative stereotypes of other races…

So the question can be asked, is it ok to hold negative stereotypes about white people as true while we should deny negative stereotypes about all other races…

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, I am trying to use only your exact words.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:46 pm

You did say it wasn’t “all” white people, just a lot… which lets Face it , is the same thing racist white people say when they’re propping up negative stereotypes of other races…

So the question can be asked, is it ok to hold negative stereotypes about white people as true while we should deny negative stereotypes about all other races…

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, I am trying to use only your exact words.
Yes, you are putting words in my mouth and white washing everything I am saying instead of listening.

So it is best that we do not continue this conversation because it is wasting my time and yours.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That dude is annoying.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:01 am

Yes, you are putting words in my mouth and white washing everything I am saying instead of listening.

So it is best that we do not continue this conversation because it is wasting my time and yours.
I dont even know what whitewashing means in this context… I’m not putting words into your mouth, I’m asking legitimate questions that are based on the conversation.

If you don’t want to talk about it anymore, so be it…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:40 am

I dont even know what whitewashing means in this context… I’m not putting words into your mouth, I’m asking legitimate questions that are based on the conversation.

No, I don’t and it is not just you. IRL, I’m selective about who I have conversations like this with and I need to do the same in this group. I’ll give my perspective as a woman of color if the conversation is productive but I’m not arguing with anyone about my lives experience anymore.

Thanks for understanding. Maybe you and I will get to that point eventually but we are not there yet and I’d rather end the conversation before it escalates.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:06 pm
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:20 pm

What are you talking about? There’s absolutely nothing that I said which even implies that you mistreat children, or support mistreating children…

That is what white children learn. They learn they are white, and with this terminology, that everyone else is a person of color. They learn some issues affect us, some affect them… some things are more likely to happen for us, some things aren’t as likely to happen to them… they literally learn that when it comes to how we will experience life in this country, there is an us, and there is a them…

Is that a good thing? Should “them” include anyone who is different than white people, and should the experiences of all those different minority groups be viewed as the same?
As a society, we aren’t there yet. We, general, slowed that social progress down when so many decided to be colorblind. Changes that needed to happen didn’t. If everyone is an ‘us’ before we have equity, before it’s been strongly cemented, before people have time to heal, then it’s too easy to ignore and not see that an all inclusive “us” is still “us” vs “them”.
The “us” would be all Americans, but that wouldn’t change anything about certain groups being helped in different ways. India, Iran and Chinese immigrants don’t have the same equitable needs as Black, Hispanic and Native American women do though….
We already are “all Americans”. I think those who think of people of color as not being Americans are probably a very marginal percentage.

Do you think there is real equity, or even let’s lower the bar a little bit and say equality, in sports, specifically women’s sports?
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:28 am
SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:06 pm

As a society, we aren’t there yet. We, general, slowed that social progress down when so many decided to be colorblind. Changes that needed to happen didn’t. If everyone is an ‘us’ before we have equity, before it’s been strongly cemented, before people have time to heal, then it’s too easy to ignore and not see that an all inclusive “us” is still “us” vs “them”.
The “us” would be all Americans, but that wouldn’t change anything about certain groups being helped in different ways. India, Iran and Chinese immigrants don’t have the same equitable needs as Black, Hispanic and Native American women do though….
We already are “all Americans”. I think those who think of people of color as not being Americans are probably a very marginal percentage.

Do you think there is real equity, or even let’s lower the bar a little bit and say equality, in sports, specifically women’s sports?
Do I think there’s racial equity in women’s sports, or would this include former men who became women competing too?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:35 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:40 am

No, I don’t and it is not just you. IRL, I’m selective about who I have conversations like this with and I need to do the same in this group. I’ll give my perspective as a woman of color if the conversation is productive but I’m not arguing with anyone about my lives experience anymore.

Thanks for understanding. Maybe you and I will get to that point eventually but we are not there yet and I’d rather end the conversation before it escalates.
THAT is it. The problem, not you. As a society as a whole we are not there yet and we can’t have certain conversations without them escalating because each can only use their own life experiences. I can look at and ascertain what I think would be equitable for you, but it may not be what is actually equitable for you or for any person of color, or for people of color overall. As I said, this overall reeks of color blindness to me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic