The Gaza-ification of the West Bank

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"A little more than three weeks ago, Hamas fighters murdered fourteen hundred people after crossing into Israel from the Gaza Strip. Since then, much of the world’s attention has been focussed on Israel’s relentless bombing campaign in Gaza, which has already killed thousands of Palestinians. But the West Bank, where millions of Palestinians currently live, has also seen increased violence, with more than a hundred Palestinians killed in raids conducted by Israel’s military and clashes between Israelis and Palestinians. Israeli settlers—often with the support of the Army—have also kicked scores of Palestinian families off their land.

I recently spoke by phone with Hagai El-Ad, an Israeli activist and the former executive director of the nonprofit organization B’Tselem, which works on human-rights issues in the occupied territories. During our conversation, which has been edited for length and clarity, we discussed what October 7th did and did not change in the West Bank, how the process of removing families from their land occurs, and Israel’s long-term plans for the West Bank."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... -west-bank
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

How can they just kick Palestinians off of their land like that? And what does that have to do with the Hamas attack?

And I am not being sarcastic, I really am curious because I keep hearing about this.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:28 pm How can they just kick Palestinians off of their land like that? And what does that have to do with the Hamas attack?

And I am not being sarcastic, I really am curious because I keep hearing about this.
Basically it’s coming down to “We gave it to you, but want it back now” because Hamas being there and in charge is too much of a threat.

Following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Egypt administered the newly formed Gaza Strip. It was captured by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967. Between 1994 and 1999, Israel transferred security and civilian responsibility for much of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank to the Palestinian Authority.
https://www.loc.gov › today › archive
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:49 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:28 pm How can they just kick Palestinians off of their land like that? And what does that have to do with the Hamas attack?

Basically it’s coming down to “We gave it to you, but want it back now” because Hamas being there and in charge is too much of a threat.

Following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Egypt administered the newly formed Gaza Strip. It was captured by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967. Between 1994 and 1999, Israel transferred security and civilian responsibility for much of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank to the Palestinian Authority.
Who are you saying gave the WB to Palestine?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:53 pm

Who are you saying gave the WB to Palestine?
Did Israel transfer security and civilian responsibility to Palestinian authority between 1994-1999?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thanks for explaining. I know y’all have different point of views and it helps to hear both.

So y’all…….I’m gonna need a simplified version of this so I can somewhat understand the big picture before I can tackle the details.

From what I am hearing , Britain kicked out Arabs and moved Jews who needed a safe place after the Holocaust into what is now Israel and gave Gaza Strip/West Bank back to Arabs who have been living under oppression ever since.

Is this basically what happened? It seems like both sides have drastically different views on the events leading up to this and I am just trying to make heads/tails of it.

If anyone wants to chime in, please do cause I’m confused.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Israeli settlers (backed by Israeli military) have been doing this for decades both in the West Bank (and East Jerusalem and Golan Heights). While the international community considers this illegal and potentially a war crime, Israel does not. US considered it a crime until 2019 when Trump stated ""the establishment of Israeli civilian settlements in the West Bank is not per se inconsistent with international law" whatever that means.

Settlers in the West Bank have the freedoms associated with being Israeli (the right to vote, freedom of movement, access to social services, Israeli civilian court, etc.). These freedoms are not shared by Palestinians in the West Bank. One example of how problematic it is is that settlements can (and do) restrict access, even use of the roads, to Israelis only barring Palestinians from their homes or in the case of farmers, accessing their fields. By forcing the displacement of Palestinians from "section C" to disconnected urban hubs in "sections A & B", they will be in essence creating new "Gazas". This is one of the reasons that human rights groups claim that Israel is practicing Apartheid.

West Bank recently has had a surge in violence - Israel's border with Gaza was essentially unprotected on October 17th because Israeli troops were en massed at the West Bank border. I think the fear is that with the bombing of Gaza, the increased violence of settlers in West Bank, and what appears to be reprisal killings of Palestinians in West Bank, there will be a surge of terrorist activity in West Bank (Hamas fighters were seen at the bombing site in Jenin just last week) creating another front on Israel's war with Hamas. With roughly 500,000 Israeli settlers and 2500000 Palestinians living in the West Bank, not to mention that WB shares a border with Jordan, this could be "problematic".

I'm sure I'm getting part of this wrong and I'm equally sure there will be some disagreement, lol, but this is the gist the way I see it!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks for explaining. I know y’all have different point of views and it helps to hear both.

So y’all…….I’m gonna need a simplified version of this so I can somewhat understand the big picture before I can tackle the details.

From what I am hearing , Britain kicked out Arabs and moved Jews who needed a safe place after the Holocaust into what is now Israel and gave Gaza Strip/West Bank back to Arabs who have been living under oppression ever since.

Is this basically what happened? It seems like both sides have drastically different views on the events leading up to this and I am just trying to make heads/tails of it.

If anyone wants to chime in, please do cause I’m confused.
It's confusing!
Only about 2 pages of text so maybe this helps :)
https://www.history.com/topics/middle-e ... -of-israel
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Israeli settlers (backed by Israeli military) have been doing this for decades both in the West Bank (and East Jerusalem and Golan Heights). While the international community considers this illegal and potentially a war crime, Israel does not. US considered it a crime until 2019 when Trump stated ""the establishment of Israeli civilian settlements in the West Bank is not per se inconsistent with international law" whatever that means.

Settlers in the West Bank have the freedoms associated with being Israeli (the right to vote, freedom of movement, access to social services, Israeli civilian court, etc.). These freedoms are not shared by Palestinians in the West Bank. One example of how problematic it is is that settlements can (and do) restrict access, even use of the roads, to Israelis only barring Palestinians from their homes or in the case of farmers, accessing their fields. By forcing the displacement of Palestinians from "section C" to disconnected urban hubs in "sections A & B", they will be in essence creating new "Gazas". This is one of the reasons that human rights groups claim that Israel is practicing Apartheid.

West Bank recently has had a surge in violence - Israel's border with Gaza was essentially unprotected on October 17th because Israeli troops were en massed at the West Bank border. I think the fear is that with the bombing of Gaza, the increased violence of settlers in West Bank, and what appears to be reprisal killings of Palestinians in West Bank, there will be a surge of terrorist activity in West Bank (Hamas fighters were seen at the bombing site in Jenin just last week) creating another front on Israel's war with Hamas. With roughly 500,000 Israeli settlers and 2500000 Palestinians living in the West Bank, not to mention that WB shares a border with Jordan, this could be "problematic".

I'm sure I'm getting part of this wrong and I'm equally sure there will be some disagreement, lol, but this is the gist the way I see it!
Well Trump is a dumb ass, so I don’t care what his opinion about this is and I’m not happy with Biden either.

So this basically like segregation? Are these numbers somewhat accurate in terms of the differences in injuries/fatalities since 2008?

https://www.statista.com/chart/amp/1651 ... west-bank/

Sorry for all the questions and thank y’all for being patient with me.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The conflict goes back quite a ways, but not as far as many think. Here's a great, very even-handed explanation.

Only the last line was a bit too aspirational, I think.
Locked Previous topicNext topic