Meals from childhood.

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My mom had a few casseroles that she made a lot. My siblings all loved it. I didn't. My sisters and I were talking. My one sister says she makes one of them weekly. I think I have made it once. They said my kids are missing out on the family recipes.

Do you have recipes like this is your family? One that are considered family history or such?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have tons of recipes from my Dad and grandma for things like cookies, cakes, etc.

Growing up my Dad always made oatmeal maraschino cherry cookies. I didn't like them back then but unfortunately never got his recipe for them before he passed. I do wonder if I'd like them now.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A few of my signature dishes are directly from my mom and late grandmother. I've tweaked them over the years to make them more my own and have also created a few new ones based off of different family recipes. I also have a few of my own signature holiday dishes that my parents look forward to every thanksgiving and christmas.

My late grandmother made awesome deviled eggs and after she passed, the recipe died with her (she passed 6 yrs ago). Just this last Thanksgiving I managed to recreate the recipe by taste alone (had kiddo with me to help taste test). Mom ate nearly all of them while in tears.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have a few recipes that I got from my mom that I still make. They're not "family treasures" or anything like that, just recipes that she made that I enjoy. One or two came from my grandma (her mom) but otherwise there's not really anything passed down through the generations.

The two that I get raves on from other people are my mom's lasagna (the sauce is cooked overnight in a crockpot) and my grandma's potato salad & deviled eggs.

Side note: My mom had a few different casseroles that she made regularly when I was growing up. I've only made them rarely because to me they are just "meh". Not bad but not great so I don't do them much.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm I have a few recipes that I got from my mom that I still make. They're not "family treasures" or anything like that, just recipes that she made that I enjoy. One or two came from my grandma (her mom) but otherwise there's not really anything passed down through the generations.

The two that I get raves on from other people are my mom's lasagna (the sauce is cooked overnight in a crockpot) and my grandma's potato salad & deviled eggs.

Side note: My mom had a few different casseroles that she made regularly when I was growing up. I've only made them rarely because to me they are just "meh". Not bad but not great so I don't do them much.
My mom's favorite throw together meal was tater tot casserole. I have never made that dish since moving out on my own over 20-odd yrs ago. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either. We always had to salt the shit out of it just to give it some kind of flavor.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:50 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm I have a few recipes that I got from my mom that I still make. They're not "family treasures" or anything like that, just recipes that she made that I enjoy. One or two came from my grandma (her mom) but otherwise there's not really anything passed down through the generations.

My mom's favorite throw together meal was tater tot casserole. I have never made that dish since moving out on my own over 20-odd yrs ago. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either. We always had to salt the shit out of it just to give it some kind of flavor.
Yup, that's one of the ones my mom made. Though being from MN, she called it tator tot hot dish, because all casseroles were "hot dish" in MN. The other big one was goulash which was just elbow noodles, tomato sauce, ground beef, corn and some seasoning. We also had a hot dish that was a cream base sauce with ground beef and green beans and not sure what else, and then used the tube biscuits to create a crust on top - and we literally called it "hot dish with the crust". LOL
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

From my Scottish side:

English breakfast- eggs over easy, sausages, fried tomatoes, fried bread, beans.

Boiled Eggs and toasted soldiers- eggs boiled easy, served in an egg cup, with buttered toast sliced into long strips.

Beans and toast- Just what it sounds like. British beans are basically pork n beans/ bbq beans.

Shepherd's pie- my mom always made her own version and did not always put it in a pie crust. It's technically cottage pie because it's made with veggies. Sometimes we used minced lamb and sometimes we use beef. Sometimes we serve it "deconstructed" meaning we just serve the mince over mashed potatoes, which is technically mince and tatties. We just call it ALL shepherd's pie. That's what you get for being Scottish and raising your kids in America, we don't care.

Rumbledethumpes- Okay! I've never made this for my kids or husband. Boo on me.

Bubbles and squeak- just boiled and sautéed potatoes, cabbage, and onion.

Sole in its coffin- sole baked in a hollowed out baked potato with a creamy mushroom sauce.

I've also never made my kids any of the Scottish deserts like Cranachan.

My dad is German but my grandmother lived in NOLA for years so she mainly served cajun food- gumbo with loads of okra, oyster dressing, shrimp creole, alll the crawfish, red beans n rice, jambalaya, shrimp n grits.

Yeah, we have a lot. I love to cook and I love to eat!
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

I have also learned how to make 4 Venezuelan dishes and 1 Greek dish from my mother in law.

Pastitsio is a Greek lasagna, made with Bechamel rather than ricotta. We don't make it with bucatini. I always describe it like lasagna but better ;) In VE, they spell it pasticho.

Arepas are kind of like a sandwich or a pupusa, with a corn dough and any filling you like. My son and I are weird and we add mustard to them which is basically unheard of in VE. My favorite arepa is just lunch meat with queso fresco.

Pabellon Criollo is a shredded meat served with beans, white rice, and plantains. We just call it pabellon. With the leftovers, I make pabellon burritos which are also a hit.

Venezuelan Empanadas. To me, they are better than any other country's. My mother in law serves it with her own style of salsa. I think it's onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers, mixed with Italian dressing. It's soooo good. I haven't perfected the salsa.

Then, the absolute best food of all time.... Hallacas. They are like a tamale but better. There is more to the filling than a tamale- raisins, olives, boiled egg, and 3 types of meat, boiled in a banana leaf. I am also a weirdo and serve this with mayo. They're huge and I can no longer eat an entire Hallaca by myself...but I try.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

When my parents got married the only "vegetable" my dad would eat is canned corn. He got a little better but even as a kid I hated most of dinner. Meat, potato, and bread. We had bread with everything! My mom made hamburger helper a lot. I would eat the veggies and bread then refuse the meat which drove my dad crazy.
I basically refuse anything I ate as a kid. I hate meat to this day and I greatly prefer vegetables like a salad, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc over the canned corn, peas, and green beans of my childhood. I did love bread but then I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy and gluten free bread is so expensive I virtually never eat it unless I make it.
I do have 1 peanut butter cookie recipe I've managed to modify and I love that but that's it!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Both my mother and grandmother are not good cooks. They just aren't. It was standard type food like chicken and meatloaf. Nothing special. When I was 21 I just refused to make lame bland food so I taught myself how to make wonderful meals.
Locked Previous topicNext topic