Do you do any of these 6 things for your teenagers?

KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:32 pm
KendallsMom wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 pm I do her (15) laundry with mine and dh's because it would be wasteful to have her do hers separately.

I would also do #2, #3 and #6 if necessary.
Not sure why this showed up in quotes.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:03 pm This is from an article I happened across yesterday about things we should no longer do for our teens:

1. Wake them up in the morning for school
2. Pack their lunches and snacks
3. Filling out paperwork for them
4. Delivering things they have forgotten, or going out of your way to get something they failed to plan for (in other words, making their failure to plan your emergency)
5. Doing all of their laundry all of the time
6. Meddling in academics, like making sure they turn in a worksheet that is several weeks overdue or emailing their teacher to ask for make up work.
My kid's are all adults now but when they were teens, I only did #3 IF the paperwork was intended for a parent to sign and #4, if it was something they needed but accidentally forgot (never saw this as their failure but as an honest mistake that adults do as well).
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t do any of those things though #6 maybe? Dd is in a virtual school so once she’s completed assignments, I have to submit approval for the lessons to go into the grading system. However, she’s fully responsible for contacting her teachers with questions or for teachers for retakes.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My son - there’s a very good reason though.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Mine are adults now but no I didn't do any of those things. They were young when I had my 1st bout with cancer. They were brought up to do for themselves, as mom & dad won't always be here.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:03 pm This is from an article I happened across yesterday about things we should no longer do for our teens:

YES
IF THEY ASK BUT THEY NORMAL BUY AT SCHOOL
HAVEN'T REALLY DONE THAT SINCE THEY WERE 10. UNLESS THEY DON'T KNOW THE INFO OBVIOUSLY
4. Delivering things they have forgotten, or going out of your way to get something they failed to plan for (in other words, making their failure to plan your emergency)
SOMETIMES
YES BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THEM MESSING UP MY WASHER.
6. Meddling in academics, like making sure they turn in a worksheet that is several weeks overdue or emailing their teacher to ask for make up work.
HAVEN'T DONE THAT SINCE 6TH GRADE. THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO KEEP TO WITH THEIR STUFF.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I still do number one with ds. He usually gets up but some days I’ve woken him. And i used to get on him about schoolwork. Although I’m the parent that hated the teachers took his late assignments so i never emailed them. If ds wanted extra credit that was on him. Now that he’s in college it’s like i told my dad. His grades are his business. I spent twelve years fighting him on schoolwork. I’m done, finished, over.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:41 pm

YES
IF THEY ASK BUT THEY NORMAL BUY AT SCHOOL
HAVEN'T REALLY DONE THAT SINCE THEY WERE 10. UNLESS THEY DON'T KNOW THE INFO OBVIOUSLY
SOMETIMES
YES BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THEM MESSING UP MY WASHER.
HAVEN'T DONE THAT SINCE 6TH GRADE. THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO KEEP TO WITH THEIR STUFF.
How does someone mess up a washer? I mean tell them how much soap to use or buy pods. I guess they could overload it. I used to yell at my sons for that. But worse they’d get is soaking wet clothes (because it wouldn’t spin right.) They learned not to do that. My kids have done their own laundry since they were twelve or so.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Nope. But both my boys went to high school abroad, my youngest is a junior now. They had to learn all those things for themselves.
By now, my oldest is back home and the only thing from that list I do is the laundry, but that’s because I throw everything in one or two loads.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I make their lunches and do most of their laundry.

On occasion, I will give a quick reminder regarding school assignments, but I gradually do this less and less…and I rarely, if ever do email a teacher.
Locked Previous topicNext topic