Do you do any of these 6 things for your teenagers?

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

How is anyone NOT filling out the paperwork for their minor children…

Like when you go to a new doctor with them… you’re actually having the 13 year old fill out the insurance portion, social security numbers and responsible financial party info?

Even school forms… it has to be the parent signing permission slips and medical waivers.

What possible paperwork besides actual school work are parents having the kids fill out themselves?
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

I don't know what kind of paperwork the article was referring to. But I can tell you that by the time I was 16, I had my social security number memorized. We don't have insurance but I have my kid fill out anything they can fill out. If they don't have that info memorized, I would just tell it to them so they can write it down. IDK, this seems like the easiest one on the list to me, lol.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 am How is anyone NOT filling out the paperwork for their minor children…

Like when you go to a new doctor with them… you’re actually having the 13 year old fill out the insurance portion, social security numbers and responsible financial party info?

Even school forms… it has to be the parent signing permission slips and medical waivers.

What possible paperwork besides actual school work are parents having the kids fill out themselves?
Teens should be able to fill out forms such as job applications, W-2, opening a bank account, applying for a discount card, etc. without parental assistance even if the parent needs to sign. Teens who do not have this ability or experience are going to be pretty hard pressed to function when they turn 18.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 am How is anyone NOT filling out the paperwork for their minor children…

My last reply was meant to quote you, messed that up. Here's what I said:

I don't know what kind of paperwork the article was referring to. But I can tell you that by the time I was 16, I had my social security number memorized. We don't have insurance but I have my kid fill out anything they can fill out. If they don't have that info memorized, I would just tell it to them so they can write it down. IDK, this seems like the easiest one on the list to me, lol.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:00 pm

My last reply was meant to quote you, messed that up. Here's what I said:

Maybe it’s because mine are 13, but I just really can’t even think of any paperwork I’d have them fill out. But they’re too young to drive or get a job or get themselves to a doctors anyways… so maybe more will come up later.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids don't have a lot of paperwork at this point but anything that there is, I have them fill out as much as they know and then I will sign and/or fill in the rest.

But I remember when I was 16 I was filling out my own job applications, taking myself to the doctor, and even filing my own tax returns. When I was 18/19 I was filling out my own FAFSA and just asking my parent what their income was to fill that piece in. Granted, I understand that FAFSA has gotten a lot more complicated since the 90's, but even so I'd still have my kids do as much as they can and then I'd come in and finish or take a look. If you don't have them do it at all they'll never learn.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:39 pm

My kids don't have a lot of paperwork at this point but anything that there is, I have them fill out as much as they know and then I will sign and/or fill in the rest.

But I remember when I was 16 I was filling out my own job applications, taking myself to the doctor, and even filing my own tax returns. When I was 18/19 I was filling out my own FAFSA and just asking my parent what their income was to fill that piece in. Granted, I understand that FAFSA has gotten a lot more complicated since the 90's, but even so I'd still have my kids do as much as they can and then I'd come in and finish or take a look. If you don't have them do it at all they'll never learn.
I agree, it is important to know… They’re freshman now but in Junior year of High School they have to take a kind of life class that goes over tax returns and how to make a resume.

But as far as just run of the mill paperwork, there’s not that much to even figure out when it comes to actually knowing how to do it… they’ve been answering questions asked on a paper since kindergarten lol
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:46 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:39 pm

I agree, it is important to know… They’re freshman now but in Junior year of High School they have to take a kind of life class that goes over tax returns and how to make a resume.

But as far as just run of the mill paperwork, there’s not that much to even figure out when it comes to actually knowing how to do it… they’ve been answering questions asked on a paper since kindergarten lol
I wish our high school did something like that. My HS senior wants to learn that stuff too. He finds it much more useful than the typical stuff they teach him in HS. But he's never applied for or had a job yet so we haven't encountered it yet. But when it comes up I will have to teach him.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I'm curious what kind of paperwork. When we got paperwork from school when I was in school, it was for parents to fill out.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:12 pm I'm curious what kind of paperwork. When we got paperwork from school when I was in school, it was for parents to fill out.
I went back to the article and the only example she gave was beginning of the year paperwork. She said that her kids filled everything out and that if it needed a parent signature, she would sign and put it back on their desk for them to put in their folder/backpack.

But things like Child's names, parent's names, address, phone number, parent's email address, all of that can be filled out by a teenager, I don't see why not.

I recently switched my daughter's therapist and I made her fill out all of the new client paperwork except my social security number and my signature. I had to read her social security number to her, but the more often she writes it down, the more likely she will be memorize it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic