Are you a hugger?

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I am, but I know everyone is not and I had a situation come up yesterday that made me wonder about those who are NOT huggers...

Long story short - I bought a new-to-me truck in early November. The dealership we bought it from told us that the previous owner lived in the same town as us and was very sad to have had to give up the truck. She only owned it for about 7 months and couldn't drive it after she had knee surgery as it sits up too high. It is a VERY recognizable truck and we live in a fairly small town. I knew there would come a day when we bumped into each other. Well, that day came yesterday at the grocery store. Apparently I parked next to her and we happened to come out of the store within minutes of each other.

She cautiously approached and told me that it used to be her truck. I laughed and then she asked if she could give me a hug. As a hugger myself I, of course, said yes and then we talked about the truck for a couple of minutes and went our separate ways.

But this made me wonder - If you are NOT a hugger, how would you have handled this? How would you say "no" to someone when they ask if they can hug you?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I really only like people that I am very comfortable with touching me. In that situation I probably would have obliged and just gotten it over with, but I can and do say no to people touching me that I don't like.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am not a hugger AT All. Even with family I find it uncomfortable. I would have hated it but just said ok and hugged the lady.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

I'm a hugger when it's natural. It's natural to want to hug someone when you see they are upset. It's natural to hug when you're excited about something. In this situation, I don't really understand why they would want to hug me. It would feel awkward. But I'm not so against it that I wouldn't hug them. I'd give them a hug and think they're a weirdo.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:19 pm I'm a hugger when it's natural. It's natural to want to hug someone when you see they are upset. It's natural to hug when you're excited about something. In this situation, I don't really understand why they would want to hug me. It would feel awkward. But I'm not so against it that I wouldn't hug them. I'd give them a hug and think they're a weirdo.
I know it sounds silly, but it was basically her dream truck that she built her way and then had to give it up. It sat on the lot for almost a year before we bought it so she was just happy to see it being loved again. LOL
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm not a hugger but I would've allowed it.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am not. I have a strict 3 ft bubble. Do not invade. Do not pet. Wild Randi will bite.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:40 pm I am not. I have a strict 3 ft bubble. Do not invade. Do not pet. Wild Randi will bite.
LOL! And I totally understand that. Would you have just told her "no thank you" when she asked to hug you in the situation I was in?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I only enjoy hugging my dh and kids but I'd just say yes and hope she's a quick hugger. Sadly it's something I was taught as a child isn't acceptable to refuse and I just haven't figured out how to get around that one yet. Why is it wrong to not be ok with others in your space?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I am not a hugger, unless you are really close family and even then you will most likely get a awkward side hug.

My daughter is a hugger, and wants to hug me all day. As she has got older we have had to limit it a little or she will be hugging me or right next to me 24/7 if allowed.

As for that lady, she would have got a awkward side hug, and I would just let it go.
Locked Previous topicNext topic