At&t is making it hard to educate my children

Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 pm Thankfully, we have a lot of internet options here. We currently have AT&T though. We’ve never had an issue. Do you have fiber?
I do believe so my dh has been dealing with them all I've done with our internet is setup autopay and used it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'm sorry. I know how hard it can be to homeschool with internet outages. Is it possible for you to download material during optimal usage times for use during your scheduled educational time? I would download all on-line material for the week on the weekends when my internet was more reliable.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 pm I'm sorry. I know how hard it can be to homeschool with internet outages. Is it possible for you to download material during optimal usage times for use during your scheduled educational time? I would download all on-line material for the week on the weekends when my internet was more reliable.
Sadly no most of this isn't available to be downloaded. We could do our history if I print out the websites and download the videos but that's it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:39 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:34 am When was the last time you upgraded your router? I ask because we had AT&T upgrade ours. The internet got worse so we asked for a technician to come out. Turned out ATT sent us a fifteen year old router. My mother thinks someone that does the packaging pulled a fast one. I just think they're stupid but we got it fixed. Or pay for a hotspot with your cell phone carrier. It's good enough for most online teaching I think.
Nope they upgraded it since this started but it has been happening since before that. We are definitely looking into a Hotspot but our cell service isn't always the best here either.
It sounds like ATT doesn’t have the facilities/infrastructure built out in your area to support all of it’s customers and likely why your BIL said it won’t get better unless they upgrade. If that is the case, the router in your home wouldn’t fix it because the point of failure is probably before that and it really does suck.

Do you have other providers in your area like maybe satellite?

I hope y’all can get it fixed because I definitely understand the frustration.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:06 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:34 am When was the last time you upgraded your router? I ask because we had AT&T upgrade ours. The internet got worse so we asked for a technician to come out. Turned out ATT sent us a fifteen year old router. My mother thinks someone that does the packaging pulled a fast one. I just think they're stupid but we got it fixed. Or pay for a hotspot with your cell phone carrier. It's good enough for most online teaching I think.
Nope they upgraded it since this started but it has been happening since before that. We are definitely looking into a Hotspot but our cell service isn't always the best here either.
It sounds like ATT doesn’t have the facilities/infrastructure built out in your area to support all of it’s customers and likely why your BIL said it won’t get better unless they upgrade. If that is the case, the router in your home wouldn’t fix it because the point of failure is probably before that and it really does suck.

That's exactly what I said my bil said they oversold the switch so it needs to be upgraded to function. I don't understand why either because my neighbors have been trying to get it for years and have always been told no so who did they just add? I'm shocked we got it but that was 18 months ago and it worked fine until now.
The only satellite service in this area is absolutely terrible. I live in a rural area so our options are slim.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:21 pm

That's exactly what I said my bil said they oversold the switch so it needs to be upgraded to function. I don't understand why either because my neighbors have been trying to get it for years and have always been told no so who did they just add? I'm shocked we got it but that was 18 months ago and it worked fine until now.
The only satellite service in this area is absolutely terrible. I live in a rural area so our options are slim.
Makes sense. Satellite can be spotty because of the way that the packets are transmitted, so its a last resort for me too. Lol

I work with telecom providers a lot. Your situation common in rural areas… it’s really frustrating to work with. It’s super expensive to upgrade, so providers won’t do it if there isn’t enough revenue to see a return on investment. When you’re a customer who is spending a lot of money…it’s a huge difference in what they will do to accommodate and it is a huge pain in the ass when a customer doesn’t fall in that category.

Are y’all on Uverse and did they give your husband any other service options through ATT? Happy to share my experience with it (if I have worked with it before).

Good luck to y’all!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:21 pm

Makes sense. Satellite can be spotty because of the way that the packets are transmitted, so its a last resort for me too. Lol

I work with telecom providers a lot. Your situation common in rural areas… it’s really frustrating to work with. It’s super expensive to upgrade, so providers won’t do it if there isn’t enough revenue to see a return on investment. When you’re a customer who is spending a lot of money…it’s a huge difference in what they will do to accommodate and it is a huge pain in the ass when a customer doesn’t fall in that category.

Are y’all on Uverse and did they give your husband any other service options through ATT? Happy to share my experience with it (if I have worked with it before).

Good luck to y’all!
No clue if we're on uverse we're on whatever their only option is for our house. It's definitely a challenge of rural living.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How long is it usually down when it drops in the mornings? Is it possible to just start later in the day? We lived very rural for a few years. There’s no cell service in that area and our only options for internet was satellite or dial up. We started off with dial up, but the phone lines were all so old and the phone company hadn’t put fiber optics in so constantly lost service. Ended up switching to HughesNet, it was the only way we were able to have decently reliable internet. I was taking a few classes online at the time so needed something more than fingers crossed connectivity. It definitely is frustrating.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:20 am How long is it usually down when it drops in the mornings? Is it possible to just start later in the day? We lived very rural for a few years. There’s no cell service in that area and our only options for internet was satellite or dial up. We started off with dial up, but the phone lines were all so old and the phone company hadn’t put fiber optics in so constantly lost service. Ended up switching to HughesNet, it was the only way we were able to have decently reliable internet. I was taking a few classes online at the time so needed something more than fingers crossed connectivity. It definitely is frustrating.
It doesn't stabilize until afternoon and my kids have extra-curriculars to go to so that's not really an option either.
Our neighbors have hughesnet but it's so terrible he often ends up going to work just to use thr internet.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son's school provides a laptop with built in Wifi. You could look into getting one of those. If our Wifi is down at home his computer still works.
Locked Previous topicNext topic