At&t is making it hard to educate my children

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My wifi drops out every morning just as we're getting ready to do school. Not everything we do is online but we are using more digital web based books this year (because they have videos in them too that really solidify the information). We are also using online grading for things like math because I absolutely hate grading and it gives them immediate feedback.
It seems like everyday we're playing a game of what we can do when because of out internet. When my bil came to visit he managed to get access to our lines (he works for att but this isn't his area) and said that they recently oversold the switch here and unless they upgrade it it's not going to get any better. And of course that's a huge expense to them so they've been out 3 times now and always have some other answer that never fixes it. But we can't tell them what my bil said without getting him in trouble for being in a system he shouldn't have been in!
I'm just so frustrated right now. We had a great routine going and we were so enjoying school this year until at&ts greed got in the way. We don't have any other internet options where we live and I've printed as much as I can that we would otherwise be doing online.
I'm just so ready to have working internet again 😩

Update
They sent a new guy out who found someone had left the box at the street open just a tiny bit and there was a wire that was either corroded or chewed by a mouse. So he replaced that and so far it's doing great! Our internet has never been so fast. He said it was open far enough that when it's damp out (like mornings) it would short it out.

Well it worked for a few hours and now it's dropping again!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

When was the last time you upgraded your router? I ask because we had AT&T upgrade ours. The internet got worse so we asked for a technician to come out. Turned out ATT sent us a fifteen year old router. My mother thinks someone that does the packaging pulled a fast one. I just think they're stupid but we got it fixed. Or pay for a hotspot with your cell phone carrier. It's good enough for most online teaching I think.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

We were having the exact same problem at work. I don't know how old the router was- it was a brand new building, but it could have been an older router they installed. They came out five times and replaced the router twice before the problem was resolved. I don't know what the difference is but the router looks much different.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:34 am When was the last time you upgraded your router? I ask because we had AT&T upgrade ours. The internet got worse so we asked for a technician to come out. Turned out ATT sent us a fifteen year old router. My mother thinks someone that does the packaging pulled a fast one. I just think they're stupid but we got it fixed. Or pay for a hotspot with your cell phone carrier. It's good enough for most online teaching I think.
Nope they upgraded it since this started but it has been happening since before that. We are definitely looking into a Hotspot but our cell service isn't always the best here either.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:37 am We were having the exact same problem at work. I don't know how old the router was- it was a brand new building, but it could have been an older router they installed. They came out five times and replaced the router twice before the problem was resolved. I don't know what the difference is but the router looks much different.
I really wish my bil worked in our area and could fix it! They're coming our again tomorrow. This is so frustrating my son just got a 0 on a major exam because there's a time limit and the internet dropped out as he started it then didn't cone back until 2 hours later. So now I have to have them reset that and hopefully it doesn't happen again!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have Optimum (formerly Suddenlink) for internet, cable, phone. It's the only one in the area that offers high speed internet and we want that high speed since DH works from home 100%. But it seems like we can only go a few months between issues and honestly I think the bigger picture issue is the infrastructure. Sometimes our internet is fine, but sometimes we get momentary drops. Only drops for a couple minutes, but when it does it a dozen times throughout the day it's really annoying. We also have issues with some of our cable channels pixelating. We've been told that the issue with that is that the wiring to and around our house has a lot of patchwork and we really need a complete rewire but I guess that would be expensive or a big ordeal or whatever (DH has the details on that, I don't fully remember).

But life moves on the internet now. It's essentially a true necessity right up there with electricity and water. These internet providers need to do whatever they need to do to make sure people have reliable service.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:20 pm We have Optimum (formerly Suddenlink) for internet, cable, phone. It's the only one in the area that offers high speed internet and we want that high speed since DH works from home 100%. But it seems like we can only go a few months between issues and honestly I think the bigger picture issue is the infrastructure. Sometimes our internet is fine, but sometimes we get momentary drops. Only drops for a couple minutes, but when it does it a dozen times throughout the day it's really annoying. We also have issues with some of our cable channels pixelating. We've been told that the issue with that is that the wiring to and around our house has a lot of patchwork and we really need a complete rewire but I guess that would be expensive or a big ordeal or whatever (DH has the details on that, I don't fully remember).

But life moves on the internet now. It's essentially a true necessity right up there with electricity and water. These internet providers need to do whatever they need to do to make sure people have reliable service.
It really is so necessary. It was fine until the past couple of months or I would have bought dvds when available instead of streaming but then that's more expensive and we have to keep track of them too. It has been off an on most mornings and it's so frustrating!
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ugh! Hope this gets resolved soon for you!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm Ugh! Hope this gets resolved soon for you!
Thanks!
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thankfully, we have a lot of internet options here. We currently have AT&T though. We’ve never had an issue. Do you have fiber?
Locked Previous topicNext topic