What to do With Ham Bone?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I made a glazed ham for Thanksgiving and we've eaten all the slices. I'm left with bone and lots of "chunks" attached to it. My family doesn't like mayo based salads and I'm not sure a glazed ham bone would make a good soup base? I hate to throw it away.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Split pea soup
Any kind of bean soup
Collard greens
Ham stock
Lentils

That’s all I can think of. Try googling I’m sure there are a ton of recipes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:43 am Split pea soup
Any kind of bean soup
Collard greens
Ham stock
Lentils

I love everything you've listed but am worried that because I glazed the ham with a bourbon and brown sugar glaze, the bone will have some of that sweetness and make normal use weird?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I use those for making split pea soup, or Hoppin' John with black-eye peas. In a large pot of soup you don't really taste the glaze, it is just another layer of flavor. I just use my regular recipe and add the bone to the pot while the peas are cooking.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:02 am I use those for making split pea soup, or Hoppin' John with black-eye peas. In a large pot of soup you don't really taste the glaze, it is just another layer of flavor. I just use my regular recipe and add the bone to the pot while the peas are cooking.
Thank you! I've always done a smoked ham in the past and this is my first sweet glazed ham so wasn't sure if I could use ham bone same way.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:46 am
Any kind of bean soup
Collard greens
Ham stock
Lentils

I love everything you've listed but am worried that because I glazed the ham with a bourbon and brown sugar glaze, the bone will have some of that sweetness and make normal use weird?
You could do a bourbon brown sugar baked beans. Again, try googling for more interesting recipes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 am
Any kind of bean soup
Collard greens
Ham stock
Lentils

You could do a bourbon brown sugar baked beans. Again, try googling for more interesting recipes.
I will google for more recipes but your suggestion sounds perfect!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 am
Any kind of bean soup
Collard greens
Ham stock
Lentils

That's perfect for this.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I always do ham dumplings, but with the glaze the baked beans sounds like a better fit.
Locked Previous topicNext topic