Actor Chris Noth fired over 20 year old accusations

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:12 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:05 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Maybe. Or maybe they calculated which side to support based on their best interest. Or maybe he did it plus more. Maybe most male actors take advantage of their fame.

Point is he hasn’t been convicted of a crime. The woman who said he came to her apartment and was immediately all over her forcefully until he left in a rage, she wants the statue of limitations changed. This woman’s story sounds legitimate. He was aggressively pushing her for S*x, groping her until she finally pushed him out. Again, sounds legit but is she exaggerating? Is her memory faulty? It was a lifetime ago.

Hopefully woman are learning to report these kind of things as they happen.
If you have a morality clause in your work contract, you don't have to be convicted of a crime in order to be terminated.
A morality clause covers a person’s behavior.
The point is, we don’t know if this was his behavior. As of now, It’s an accusation that could be made against anyone and destroy anyone’s career at the whim of anyone who wants revenge.
Yes but it’s five women. One or two, they could be trying to cash in. Five, I don’t know. I don’t know this actor but admittedly I live under a rock. I do think they should have pressed charges at the time. But sadly rape is hard to prove especially when it’s a celebrity. Most likely, if it’s true, they felt no one would believe them. Perhaps someone told them to keep silent or they’d get their reputations dragged through the mud. Maybe all five are scum. over Christmas the metoo movement came up and my mother said these women shouldn’t have gone to the man’s house or whatever. I said they don’t deserve what happened. It’s just sad that women are expected to be distrusting and judged if they’re not. That being said I think if a woman falsely and willfully accuses a man she should do jail time. Maybe that will teach some a lesson.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:52 pm

If you have a morality clause in your work contract, you don't have to be convicted of a crime in order to be terminated.
The point is, we don’t know if this was his behavior. As of now, It’s an accusation that could be made against anyone and destroy anyone’s career at the whim of anyone who wants revenge.
Yes but it’s five women. One or two, they could be trying to cash in. Five, I don’t know. I don’t know this actor but admittedly I live under a rock. I do think they should have pressed charges at the time. But sadly rape is hard to prove especially when it’s a celebrity. Most likely, if it’s true, they felt no one would believe them. Perhaps someone told them to keep silent or they’d get their reputations dragged through the mud. Maybe all five are scum. over Christmas the metoo movement came up and my mother said these women shouldn’t have gone to the man’s house or whatever. I said they don’t deserve what happened. It’s just sad that women are expected to be distrusting and judged if they’re not. That being said I think if a woman falsely and willfully accuses a man she should do jail time. Maybe that will teach some a lesson.
How is anyone "cashing in" with this situation? Do you think any of these accusers will be getting more acting or modeling work after this story is public? More likely, they held back from talking about it in fear of being unable to get work if they went public. We do not even know if they tried to press charges at the time - lot's of time they are told by police that unless an actual rape happened, or there is physical evidence of injury, there is no case to pursue.

Also - there are libel laws already in place that cover false accusations. If there were in fact so many cases of false accusations by women I think we would hear about more convictions under the existing laws. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it is constantly raised as the motive, yet rarely do we see that was in fact true.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yep. Pretty much. That’s the metoo world we’re living in.
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:42 pm
The actor Chris Noth, 67, facing allegations that he sexually assaulted two women, has been dropped from “The Equalizer” and will no longer film any new episodes of the television series, Universal Television and CBS said in a joint statement on Monday.

The move, which is effective immediately, came just days after the women’s accusations against the actor appeared in an article in The Hollywood Reporter.

In the Hollywood Reporter article, one woman said that Mr. Noth raped her in 2004, when she was 22. Another woman said she was assaulted by Mr. Noth in 2015, when she was 25, following a date in New York City. The women were identified with pseudonyms.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis, who starred in “S*x and the City” said they were “deeply saddened” to hear about the allegations against the actor.

“We support the women who have come forward and shared their painful experiences,” the three women said. “We know it must be a very difficult thing to do and we commend them for it.”
So all it takes now is for someone to accuse someone of sexual assault to destroy the person’s life. Not a guilty verdict or an admission of guilt, just “yeah I had a date with him and he raped me. “ 18 years ago. If the S*x was consensual like he claims, it doesn’t matter, he’s been declared guilty.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:05 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:52 pm

How is anyone "cashing in" with this situation? Do you think any of these accusers will be getting more acting or modeling work after this story is public? More likely, they held back from talking about it in fear of being unable to get work if they went public. We do not even know if they tried to press charges at the time - lot's of time they are told by police that unless an actual rape happened, or there is physical evidence of injury, there is no case to pursue.

Also - there are libel laws already in place that cover false accusations. If there were in fact so many cases of false accusations by women I think we would hear about more convictions under the existing laws. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it is constantly raised as the motive, yet rarely do we see that was in fact true.
My point is one woman could level false claims against a man for money or other reasons. It’s not like women have never falsely accused a man before. Five women with false claims seem unlikely. Anyway I don’t know anything about the actor as I don’t pay attention to celebrities and have no particular opinion as to his firing. If the network decides to do it so be it. Idk much about libel laws. But as I said women that falsely cry rape just make it harder for the actual victims.

I have said it’s possible they were held back from reporting the rape at the time.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s the quickness of getting fired that’s bothers me. Two women make claims from 15 and 20 years ago and the next day his agency drops him, Peloton drops him and his TV show fires him.

He should be able to have an investigation and tell his side. If all the stories are credible then he’s fired.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah, but then it should apply to his behavior, not to allegations of his behavior that are yet to be proven.
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:42 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:14 pm I don't have a problem with this. Noth probably had a morality clause in his contract and the accusations certainly could be seen as an embarrassment for the studio(s).

It's five accusers now. What I find particularly interesting is that one of them worked on the set of "SITC" and the actors from "SITC" are supporting the women. Hm. Makes me think that this did not come as a huge surprise.
Maybe. Or maybe they calculated which side to support based on their best interest. Or maybe he did it plus more. Maybe most male actors take advantage of their fame.

Point is he hasn’t been convicted of a crime. The woman who said he came to her apartment and was immediately all over her forcefully until he left in a rage, she wants the statue of limitations changed. This woman’s story sounds legitimate. He was aggressively pushing her for S*x, groping her until she finally pushed him out. Again, sounds legit but is she exaggerating? Is her memory faulty? It was a lifetime ago.

Hopefully woman are learning to report these kind of things as they happen.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 pm It’s the quickness of getting fired that’s bothers me. Two women make claims from 15 and 20 years ago and the next day his agency drops him, Peloton drops him and his TV show fires him.

He should be able to have an investigation and tell his side. If all the stories are credible then he’s fired.
That would be true in a court of law. This is not - it is a court of public opinion and business decisions. The commercials for Peloton are only effective if people respect and respond to the actor. From a business standpoint the company no longer believes he enhances the product. So they won't use him. Same with the TV show - if the network feels more people will turn away from the program, they will write him out of the story.

This is not out of the blue - Beverly Johnson went public with her experience of assault by Noth in 1995 and got a restraining order from the courts.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I don’t mean to minimize legitimate accusations but I take issue with waiting decades to report it. I get it, women are often put on trial themselves when they accuse a man of sexual assault-but decades later, come on.

What is the gain after 20 years? Are you honestly telling me that out of 4 women that none of them had a support system that would allow them to report it when it happened? Come on.

Finally what happened to the notion of innocent until proven guilty? Please.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:47 am I don’t mean to minimize legitimate accusations but I take issue with waiting decades to report it. I get it, women are often put on trial themselves when they accuse a man of sexual assault-but decades later, come on.

What is the gain after 20 years? Are you honestly telling me that out of 4 women that none of them had a support system that would allow them to report it when it happened? Come on.

Finally what happened to the notion of innocent until proven guilty? Please.
At least one of the women received treatment at a LA Rape Crisis Center, which has been confirmed. A second confided in a friend about the assault, which has been confirmed. Beverly Johnson received a retraining order from the court. It is estimated that about 15% or sexual assaults are reported to police. Of those less than 25% result in arrests.

Not saying this proves his guilt on all allegations. But it is not at all surprising that there were not police reports filed during this time period.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 pm It’s the quickness of getting fired that’s bothers me. Two women make claims from 15 and 20 years ago and the next day his agency drops him, Peloton drops him and his TV show fires him.

That would be true in a court of law. This is not - it is a court of public opinion and business decisions. The commercials for Peloton are only effective if people respect and respond to the actor. From a business standpoint the company no longer believes he enhances the product. So they won't use him. Same with the TV show - if the network feels more people will turn away from the program, they will write him out of the story.

This is not out of the blue - Beverly Johnson went public with her experience of assault by Noth in 1995 and got a restraining order from the courts.
That would also be true in a business, not just in a courthouse. If someone accuses another employee of inappropriate touching it would be investigated by HR, both will tell their side, witnesses might be interviewed then a decision made.

And this isn’t particularly about this guy Noth. He could be a serial rapist for all anyone knows. This is about someone, anyone, being accused of doing something 20 years ago and the next day the person loses everything.
Locked Previous topicNext topic