Facebook post going around, what do you think?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

Is this true, or is this ableism/ racism/sexism/ageism/classism ect…?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next time you say "damn, must be nice" you might want to understand a lifestyle that made it possible!

8-5 didn't make it.
Parking on the couch to watch TV didnt make it.
Sleeping in on Saturdays didnt make it.
Calling in when sick didnt make it.
Being content with where we're at didnt make it.

It came from some 15-20 hour days.
It came from beating the sun up.
It came from working on weekends.
It came from sacrificing family time.
It came from wanting a little better tomorrow.

These are a few things to consider before you throw out "damn, must be nice" at someone! We are all products of our competence. And extra efforts are what make the biggest differences at the end of the day! #StayHungry
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:42 am Is this true, or is this ableism/ racism/sexism/ageism/classism ect…?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next time you say "damn, must be nice" you might want to understand a lifestyle that made it possible!

8-5 didn't make it.
Parking on the couch to watch TV didnt make it.
Sleeping in on Saturdays didnt make it.
Calling in when sick didnt make it.
Being content with where we're at didnt make it.

It came from wanting a little better tomorrow.

These are a few things to consider before you throw out "damn, must be nice" at someone! We are all products of our competence. And extra efforts are what make the biggest differences at the end of the day! #StayHungry
I'm sure this will make me a horrible person, but whatever... I agree with this for the most part. If you want what the next guy has then you need to put in the hard work and effort. If we don't push ourselves to work harder to achieve more then no one else will either. It is up to us to work for the things we want/have...
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Reminds me of my dad's reply once when someone said "someday my ship will come in". He asked the guy if he sent one out.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Maybe the "lifestyle" isn't worth it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If that's all it took, more people would be wealthy. I know some who work 2 or 3 jobs and still haven't had what some consider success.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah, gonna have to say it's utter bullshit that society feels we must eat, breathe, shit, & sleep a job/career just to be successful in it. Especially when it's not even a reality for those who actually try to do this. Just leads to burnout, depression, suicide and psychotic breaks.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And we know a couple ( from a mutual friend ) who inherited a business ( the husband) and a significant inheritance ( the wife). Neither work and live a privileged lifestyle. The only thing that bugs me and some friends is the was they speak to us and our mutual friends’s family. It seems that our mutual friend ( who is now in hospice dying from brain cancer)” should have taken better of herself. You know, invested in herself to look and feel better.”

So I think fir some, the “ must be nice” so very much applies.
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:21 pm If that's all it took, more people would be wealthy. I know some who work 2 or 3 jobs and still haven't had what some consider success.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:21 pm If that's all it took, more people would be wealthy. I know some who work 2 or 3 jobs and still haven't had what some consider success.
My first thought as well. Lot's of folks work very hard but don't have the connections, education or opportunity to parlay the long hours and hard work into financial success.

And some people didn't do any of the things on that list... but did have family success to build upon, or marry into, or inherit.

These types of over-simplification memes appear to be about having an excuse not to feel compassion for the less fortunate, or have any reason to help those who have not been able to get out of poverty.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

The people who are sharing this wouldn’t be wealthy in your eyes… they’re fireman, policemen, farmers ect from rural Arkansas. They’re not defining wealth in the sense of having stuff, they’re defining it as a bit of financial security.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

What do you consider a privileged lifestyle?
cgd5112 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:34 pm And we know a couple ( from a mutual friend ) who inherited a business ( the husband) and a significant inheritance ( the wife). Neither work and live a privileged lifestyle. The only thing that bugs me and some friends is the was they speak to us and our mutual friends’s family. It seems that our mutual friend ( who is now in hospice dying from brain cancer)” should have taken better of herself. You know, invested in herself to look and feel better.”

So I think fir some, the “ must be nice” so very much applies.
Locked Previous topicNext topic