Truck Driver Sentenced To 110 Years For Deadly Crash On I-70

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos is the driver who crashed an out-of-control semi truck into stopped traffic on Interstate 70 in Lakewood in 2019, killing four people and injuring several others. The crash damaged or destroyed 28 vehicles. Aguilera-Mederos was convicted of 27 counts, including vehicular homicide. On Monday, a judge in Jefferson County sentenced him to 110 years in prison. By Thursday morning, than 1.5 million people had signed an online petition asking Gov. Jared Polis to grant clemency, or commutation as time served.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/12/17/ ... rstate-70/
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's a helluva sentence! Did the convictions require they be served consecutively? Why did he miss the runaway truck lane?

This is why trucking companies used to require a driver to be 25. Driving a semi is waaaay different than a "4 wheeler". You've got to have experience and know what you're doing, especially with steep grades. However, companies must also make sure brakes are in top shape, but some tend to bandaid and bugglegum maintenance.

Poor guy.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I see an appeal coming in 3, 2, 1. Either that or he’ll get out on good behavior or both. Go to prison yes. Life? No. He probably misjudged and terribly. But there’s actual ruthless murderers get less than that.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Remember that kid that drove drunk and killed like 4 people and never saw jail because he was essentially rich and white?
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

and was given a truck to drive that had numerous mechanical violations....where's the punishment for the trucking company for supplying a deadly vehicle?
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

and was given a truck to drive that had numerous mechanical violations....where's the punishment for the trucking company for supplying a deadly vehicle?
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:12 am I see an appeal coming in 3, 2, 1. Either that or he’ll get out on good behavior or both. Go to prison yes. Life? No. He probably misjudged and terribly. But there’s actual ruthless murderers get less than that.
he was given a faulty truck to drive that had numerous mechanical violations. The trucking company deserves the blame too
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

110 years sounds like a horrible sentence for this type of thing. He wasn't drunk, he wasn't asleep, it sounds like he wasn't reckless except for poor decision making. I'd need to know more about why he didn't use the runaway truck ramp but it sounds like he was just young and inexperienced and probably couldn't think fast enough on his feet to prevent the tragedy. Does that warrant punishment? Yes. 110 years? No.

And yes, if the truck was in poorly maintained condition to begin with then the trucking company has something to answer for as well (unless he was an independent contractor who owned his own truck).
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:43 am That's a helluva sentence! Did the convictions require they be served consecutively? Why did he miss the runaway truck lane?

This is why trucking companies used to require a driver to be 25. Driving a semi is waaaay different than a "4 wheeler". You've got to have experience and know what you're doing, especially with steep grades. However, companies must also make sure brakes are in top shape, but some tend to bandaid and bugglegum maintenance.

Poor guy.
I know, I felt awful when I saw him crying during his sentencing, I couldn’t watch it. I honestly don’t think he meant to do it and the regret in his voice was heartbreaking.
Idontknowwhattodo
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

from what I have saw on Facebook other truck drivers are protesting it by not delivering to Colorado until it overturned
Locked Previous topicNext topic