Texas Gov. Abbott shows completed section of state-made border wall, pledges to protect state's sovereignty

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It doesn't matter where a person is standing. It matters where they are getting paid. As long as employers hire undocumented workers they will come where the jobs are.

We don't need walls or even a border to regulate who works where. That is a matter of corporations following the law.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:41 pm Right. The illegal Europeans and Asians are ok. I agree with you. And with worker shortage, those brown skinned people may have to be let in. And also about the drugs: true, sadly.

Idk about other areas but they harass Asians in the south too, especially Vietnamese. It’s just not talked about as much.
Is there a large Asian population in the south? I wonder why Vietnamese?
The refugees from the seventies. My church was a sponsor for some. Sadly, we received quite a few bomb threats because of it.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:44 pm It doesn't matter where a person is standing. It matters where they are getting paid. As long as employers hire undocumented workers they will come where the jobs are.

We don't need walls or even a border to regulate who works where. That is a matter of corporations following the law.
That’s not going to happen anytime soon. Greed or inability to find legal workers are two reasons that businesses will continue to hire undocumented workers. Some Americans take advantage of undocumented immigrants by underpaying them with no benefits. Some can’t find legal workers willing to show up every day to backbreaking low paid work.

Maybe we should focus legal immigration to be from the American continents primarily.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:41 pm Right. The illegal Europeans and Asians are ok. I agree with you. And with worker shortage, those brown skinned people may have to be let in. And also about the drugs: true, sadly.

Idk about other areas but they harass Asians in the south too, especially Vietnamese. It’s just not talked about as much.
Is there a large Asian population in the south? I wonder why Vietnamese?
Not as large and diverse as the west coast but a good bit. The shrimping industry bought a lot of Vietnamese to the coastal states.

Idk if you remember Trump instigating all those raids in the south but a lot of Asian businesses were targeted.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope; BAD for Texas. It's a really stupid waste of money in a state that doesn't have a decent electrical grid which caused many Texans to suffer and die in previous years. Abbott is a moron. Walls are not effective and can always be breeched. The real way to protect our borders is using electronic surveillance which is both cheaper and more effective. But like I said, Abbott is a total moron who has no right to gripe about anyone considering his own gross negligence and ignorance.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:33 pm True. And this is why I say that I wish every illegal immigrant is stopped/deported. Because you never appreciate what you have until you lose it. And some of these people need the backlash to learn the truth.

These immigrant-hating Americans see illegal immigrants as parasites and don’t realize that by now, it’s a symbiotic relationship. It’s like being determined to get rid of every bacterium in your body and not realizing that most of them are helping you out and that you’re benefiting from them. Whether good or bad, that’s the reality now. Get completely rid of these workers and see not only essential businesses suffer from lack of labor and having to shut down (adding to the labor shortage crisis) see unprecedented inflation rates. And maybe when they have to pay 2,3,4 times as much for avocados for their all-American Super Bowl party they’ll realize that. They won’t realize it until it hits them where it hurts the most- their wallets.
Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:27 pm And how will a wall keep those Europeans out?
It’s our southern neighbors they hate not Europeans. I’m probably in the minority but I admire the people who crossed the border by foot and made better lives for their families. The ones that take all the shitty jobs and live to see their children have more opportunities.

Drug dealers are in another league. It’s hard to believe the demand for drugs is so huge but apparently it is. The number one drug coming in is methamphetamine. Weird.
Why do you think we have LEGAL immigration?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:11 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:44 pm It doesn't matter where a person is standing. It matters where they are getting paid. As long as employers hire undocumented workers they will come where the jobs are.

That’s not going to happen anytime soon. Greed or inability to find legal workers are two reasons that businesses will continue to hire undocumented workers. Some Americans take advantage of undocumented immigrants by underpaying them with no benefits. Some can’t find legal workers willing to show up every day to backbreaking low paid work.

Maybe we should focus legal immigration to be from the American continents primarily.
This is the part Abbott isn’t talking about because conservatives have taken full advantage of cheap labor. Texas has no shortage of workers and it’s a thriving
economy who can afford to pay American workers what they’re worth.

It’s so two faced, it’s ridiculous.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You’re very naive and idealistic if you think that’s a possibility for those who cross to be cheap labor. You think someone applies and that’s that? Please, it’s a long, tedious and expensive process. Just filing a petition costs hundreds of dollars and that’s no guarantee that you’ll get permission. It’s a gamble and an expensive gamble that only the privileged can afford. We’re talking about people that can hardly afford the basics, do you really think they can cough up hundreds or thousands of dollars just to see if they’re accepted?

And ultimately that doesn’t change the fact that NOW the relationship between America and illegal immigrants is symbiotic. YOU get benefits from it too and that’s why I think you should lose those benefits and see if that makes you understand reality and accept it as it is.
Carpy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:40 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:33 pm True. And this is why I say that I wish every illegal immigrant is stopped/deported. Because you never appreciate what you have until you lose it. And some of these people need the backlash to learn the truth.

These immigrant-hating Americans see illegal immigrants as parasites and don’t realize that by now, it’s a symbiotic relationship. It’s like being determined to get rid of every bacterium in your body and not realizing that most of them are helping you out and that you’re benefiting from them. Whether good or bad, that’s the reality now. Get completely rid of these workers and see not only essential businesses suffer from lack of labor and having to shut down (adding to the labor shortage crisis) see unprecedented inflation rates. And maybe when they have to pay 2,3,4 times as much for avocados for their all-American Super Bowl party they’ll realize that. They won’t realize it until it hits them where it hurts the most- their wallets.
Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm

It’s our southern neighbors they hate not Europeans. I’m probably in the minority but I admire the people who crossed the border by foot and made better lives for their families. The ones that take all the shitty jobs and live to see their children have more opportunities.

Drug dealers are in another league. It’s hard to believe the demand for drugs is so huge but apparently it is. The number one drug coming in is methamphetamine. Weird.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:29 pm You’re very naive and idealistic if you think that’s a possibility for those who cross to be cheap labor. You think someone applies and that’s that? Please, it’s a long, tedious and expensive process. Just filing a petition costs hundreds of dollars and that’s no guarantee that you’ll get permission. It’s a gamble and an expensive gamble that only the privileged can afford. We’re talking about people that can hardly afford the basics, do you really think they can cough up hundreds or thousands of dollars just to see if they’re accepted?

And ultimately that doesn’t change the fact that NOW the relationship between America and illegal immigrants is symbiotic. YOU get benefits from it too and that’s why I think you should lose those benefits and see if that makes you understand reality and accept it as it is.

I know how the process for LEGAL immigration works. I have two sister in laws and a daughter in law who are LEGAL immigrants.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Spare me that nonsense. You’re obviously talking about people that had the means to immigrate or had the benefit of a family liaison. I’m an American citizen, so I know that if I ever choose to live in the US I can bring my family (like Melania did!) and it will be a breeze.
I’m talking about the poor, uneducated, desperate people of these countries who don’t stand a chance to come up with the application fee, let alone have a chance to be accepted.
And again, YOU get plenty of benefits from that cheap labor, even if you don’t want to admit it. Not from those with the means and opportunity to immigrate legally, but from those who can’t. So what will you say if America”s food industry collapses for lack of labor and now you have to ímpetu your produce at increased prices from those same countries you don’t want the labor coming from?
Do you even realize how many industries will collapse without illegal immigrants and the labor force they represent? The American economy would collapse, but hey! At least we got rid of that “pest”, huh?
The FACT is as I’ve said and you’ve ignored: this is NOE a symbiotic relationship. Illegal immigrants aren’t “parasites”, they’re necessary to maintain the economic status quo in the same way your digestive tract needs bacteria to function properly. “Bacteria” may be a scary word, but fact is, some are beneficial and necessary for our bodies to work properly.
Carpy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:26 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:29 pm You’re very naive and idealistic if you think that’s a possibility for those who cross to be cheap labor. You think someone applies and that’s that? Please, it’s a long, tedious and expensive process. Just filing a petition costs hundreds of dollars and that’s no guarantee that you’ll get permission. It’s a gamble and an expensive gamble that only the privileged can afford. We’re talking about people that can hardly afford the basics, do you really think they can cough up hundreds or thousands of dollars just to see if they’re accepted?

I know how the process for LEGAL immigration works. I have two sister in laws and a daughter in law who are LEGAL immigrants.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic