They are still going to bring pb&js to the park

Unread post

I live in a pretty small town. We have one actual park. It is a pretty decent size and the kids love it. They get to go and see so many people from school and their friends. A few years ago someone bought a big blow up projector. On some afternoons they have a movie playing. Everyone brings lunch and the kids eat and watch the movie and then they play for awhile.

My kids usually pack sandwiches because they are easy and quick for them to make. DD always makes a pb & j. DS switches between many different things

On the weekend someone posted a bunch of flyers saying that they wanted the park to be a peanut free zone because of a peanut allergy. They wanted no one to bring peanuts or peanut products to the park and everyone to wash their hands before playing on the equipment.

Now I dont even think the washing hands thing is a bad idea. I mean handwashing is always a good thing to encourage in an area where a lot of kids and germs are but I know not everyone is going to make their kids do that. You cant force everyone to do that.

The no peanuts at the park is more of an issue. PB & j is a very popular lunch. The schools do free lunches which consists of a pb & j also (with some exceptions). So many children get lunch at the school and come to the park. They are going to bring their lunches.

This is a public park where anyone is allowed to go. People should be able to bring what they want for lunch. One kid shouldnt be a reason for everyone else to have to change. That kid needs to learn how to cope with his allergy and being in public or not go out in public. This is the real world and the real world doesnt revolve around any one person
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I wouldn't give a shit and would continue to pack PB&Js.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So basically, f**k it if a child there dies. You don't care enough to help keep them safe.

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:48 pm So basically, f**k it if a child there dies. You don't care enough to help keep them safe.
It isnt my job to keep some random child safe. That is the job of that child and the parents if the child is too young to do it themselves.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:55 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:48 pm So basically, f**k it if a child there dies. You don't care enough to help keep them safe.
It isnt my job to keep some random child safe. That is the job of that child and the parents if the child is too young to do it themselves.
Yes, I can see that... And you would rather subject your own children to watching a child die in front of them, gasping for air instead of just not putting peanut butter in a sandwich.
BlueberryMuffin
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Honestly as long as you don’t allow your kid to walk around the playground with the sandwich smearing peanut butter on the equipment I think it’s fine to continue eating peanut butter.

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm
Yes, I can see that... And you would rather subject your own children to watching a child die in front of them, gasping for air instead of just not putting peanut butter in a sandwich.
If the kid is going to die from just being around someone eating a sandwich then they shouldnt be at the park anyway. Should all the kids that rely on the school lunch have to miss out because of one kid?
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They need to keep their own child safe. Maybe install a play thing in their own yard. You can't trust the world to keep your child safe.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm

If the kid is going to die from just being around someone eating a sandwich then they shouldnt be at the park anyway. Should all the kids that rely on the school lunch have to miss out because of one kid?
At schools, they very easily set up a peanut free zone. It's as simple as picking a table out.

I find it highly selfish and frankly cruel, that a child's life means less you you than a sandwich...
Isaacsmom913

Unread post

Oh dear, you’re one of those.

As a parent it’s my job to keep MY CHILD safe. As such if my child had allergies LIKE ME it would be my job to prevent contact. If we are at a park my assumption needs to be that there is someone who lives in a peanut factory and keep my child as safe as possible. This means carrying their Benadryl and or Epi Pen EVERYWHERE. Then when snow flake is big enough to teach him to do the same.

Here’s the thing—even if the pal is peanut free, and we wash hands this doesn’t mean a spot wasn’t missed and Jr. won’t be exposed.

Education is worth far more than fear lingering and stupidity!
Locked Previous topicNext topic