New York

Reedusstalker

Unread post

The story of LETCHWORTH VILLAGE, THIELLS, NY. The this place started off as Insane Asylum. In the late 19th century, a businessman, humanitarian, and philanthropist named William Pryor Letchworth decided he wanted to create a place were anyone who was disabled in any way ( and any age) could come and live. He wanted to give them an alternative place to live and was disgusted by the growing number of asylums that were treating people so poorly. His dream was for the people to live in peace, to learn how to work the grounds, to grow and cook their own food.

He died before it was completed. The site opened in 1911 and was a fully functional hospital, with different places for the men, women and children to live. There were a total of 130 buildings and could hold up to 2000 patients. Each housing unit was no more then two stories and only 70 people lived in each house at a time. There were buildings for dining halls, housing for the staff, and a hospital in addition to a gym, theater, Sunday school, laboratory, fire house, boiler house, laundry rooms, a refrigeration plant, bakery, storehouse, workshops, and administrative offices.

Everyone loved it and the village was praised for it's care of the patients but soon, things went very bad. Rumors started of cruelty, neglect, mistreatment, and malnourished patients. But the most shocking rumor of all was horrific experimentation...and mostly on children. The first superintendent of Letchworth Village, Dr. Charles Little, believed in strict segregation from society and from each other in the village community.

Dr. Little referred to the patients as Morons and idiots. He changed how the housing was supposed to go. Instead of 70 people per building, men together, women together and children together, he divided the patients into 3 groups: Middle aged and Industrious,
Young and Improvable and Infirm and Helpless.

Anyone able bodied was expected to work the fields, care for the animals and feed everyone who lived there. If they couldn't learn the job given to them, they weren't allowed to stay. By the 1950s, there were 4000 more people living there than the village could hold. You can imagine how the patients were treated. Patients were buried in nameless graves deep in the woods around the village. It was finally shut down in 1966.

People have claimed to see ghosts roaming around and hear voices. On the third floor of the medical building, pentagrams and other satanic rituals have been discovered. Screams of children can be heard all through the woods. Here are a few pictures

The man who started it all

Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Wow....I expected a story about a haunted house...like Amityville. Im glad my crazy ass wasnt alive then........
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 pm Wow....I expected a story about a haunted house...like Amityville. Im glad my crazy ass wasnt alive then........
I want to do ghost stories, legends and places like this.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How did you find that story?
Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:55 pm
Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 pm Wow....I expected a story about a haunted house...like Amityville. Im glad my crazy ass wasnt alive then........
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm How did you find that story?
Im researching. Im going through different sites, find one i like then start looking more into it.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Very Interesting....I used to love reading stories about haunted houses, haunted areas or unexplained events...years ago. I had a bad dream/nightmare one night (i rarely remember any dreams the next day) after reading something about a haunted mansion down south. Scared the crap out of me....lol I stopped reading anything scary or watching any scary/horror/bloody movies.
Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Im researching. Im going through different sites, find one i like then start looking more into it.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm Very Interesting....I used to love reading stories about haunted houses, haunted areas or unexplained events...years ago. I had a bad dream/nightmare one night (i rarely remember any dreams the next day) after reading something about a haunted mansion down south. Scared the crap out of me....lol I stopped reading anything scary or watching any scary/horror/bloody movies.
I have always been drawn to the darker side of things. I love going to cemeteries, I find them peaceful and beautiful. I love read horror and scary things.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

NO WAY......Darlin. I dont do cemeteries......ever, lol. The scariest thing I will watch are True Blood episodes, lol
Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:18 pm
Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm Very Interesting....I used to love reading stories about haunted houses, haunted areas or unexplained events...years ago. I had a bad dream/nightmare one night (i rarely remember any dreams the next day) after reading something about a haunted mansion down south. Scared the crap out of me....lol I stopped reading anything scary or watching any scary/horror/bloody movies.

I have always been drawn to the darker side of things. I love going to cemeteries, I find them peaceful and beautiful. I love read horror and scary things.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm NO WAY......Darlin. I dont do cemeteries......ever, lol. The scariest thing I will watch are True Blood episodes, lol
I just love them! I love to read the names of the people who passed away, look at the tombstones and graves...I'm weird, I know
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If you love it....go for it. I know its impossible but with my luck....someone will climb out of a grave and scare me to death, lol. I always hated going with my mom to put flowers on my grandparents headstones. I would see people walking on top of the graves and it freaked me out. I would walk (tiptoe) down the path and go the long way around so I didnt have to walk on the graves
Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 pm
Sassy762 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm NO WAY......Darlin. I dont do cemeteries......ever, lol. The scariest thing I will watch are True Blood episodes, lol

I just love them! I love to read the names of the people who passed away, look at the tombstones and graves...I'm weird, I know
Locked Previous topicNext topic