DT praises absentee ballots, condemns mail-in ballots

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:57 am
Francee89 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm
Mommamia wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:31 am

Of course he did. By Michigan law, one must request an absentee ballot and fit certain criteria to get one. That lawless hack of a gov thinks she can do whatever the hell she wants. Sadly, the citizens of Michigan let her.

Michigan An “absent voter” means a qualified
and registered elector who meets one or
more of the following relevant
requirements:
(1) on account of physical disability,
cannot without another’s assistance
attend the polls on the day of an
election;
(2) is 60 or older;
(3) is absent or expects to be absent
from the township or city in which s/he
resides during the entire period the
polls are open for voting on the day of
an election. MICH. COMP. LAWS
ANN. § 168.758

Not later than 2 p.m. of the Saturday
immediately before the primary or special
primary, or before the election, an elector
who qualifies to vote as an absent voter,
may apply for an absent voter ballot, either
in person or by mail with the clerk of the

township, city, or village in which the voter
is registered. MICH. COMP. LAWS ANN.
§ 168.759.
First of all, it wasn’t the Governor who sent them, it was the Secretary of State. Secondly, ballot proposal 18-3 passed in 2018, and authorized no-reason absentee voting, so voters don’t need to meet those criteria any longer (https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-1 ... --,00.html) And lastly, she didn’t send them absentee ballots. She sent them applications for absentee ballots.
The SoS doesn't report up to and take direction from the governor? Is there a separate channel that they report through? How did I not know that all this time? I learn new things on this board every day!
It’s a separately elected position in many states, including Michigan. The Governor doesn’t appoint them, and they can be from a different party that the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 am
Francee89 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm

First of all, it wasn’t the Governor who sent them, it was the Secretary of State. Secondly, ballot proposal 18-3 passed in 2018, and authorized no-reason absentee voting, so voters don’t need to meet those criteria any longer (https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-1 ... --,00.html) And lastly, she didn’t send them absentee ballots. She sent them applications for absentee ballots.
The SoS doesn't report up to and take direction from the governor? Is there a separate channel that they report through? How did I not know that all this time? I learn new things on this board every day!
It’s a separately elected position in many states, including Michigan. The Governor doesn’t appoint them, and they can be from a different party that the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.
Yes. I've voted since the mid 80s, so I've definitely voted for the position in my state. I didn't think that the governor appointed them in most states.

You drew a distinction about the SoS mailing ballots and not the governor. My question was specific to the reporting structure and who the SoS takes direction from. My understanding has always been that the SoS reports to and takes direction from the governor. The SoS is third in line for succession at the state level.

Your comment made it seem that the SoS doesn't carry out the bidding of the governor, as if the SoS is autonomous and makes policy decisions independent from the governor.

Is that the case, that they make decisions on their own? They set policy? Or are they simply carrying out the decisions of the governor because they have the manpower to do it under their office?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:08 am
Francee89 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 am

Yes. I've voted since the mid 80s, so I've definitely voted for the position in my state. I didn't think that the governor appointed them in most states.

You drew a distinction about the SoS mailing ballots and not the governor. My question was specific to the reporting structure and who the SoS takes direction from. My understanding has always been that the SoS reports to and takes direction from the governor. The SoS is third in line for succession at the state level.

Your comment made it seem that the SoS doesn't carry out the bidding of the governor, as if the SoS is autonomous and makes policy decisions independent from the governor.

Is that the case, that they make decisions on their own? They set policy? Or are they simply carrying out the decisions of the governor because they have the manpower to do it under their office?
The Secretary of State’s job in Michigan includes acting as the administrator for elections. They don’t take direction from the Governor on how they do that: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uppyblm32bzetsx1fspddz0h))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-168-31
Locked Previous topicNext topic