Religious nut Senator Tom Cotton claims slavery and holocaust were necessary

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm Tom Cotton has claimed that slavery and the Jewish holocaust were "necessary evils" and if it weren't for them there would be no Israel and no USA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... d066566de7

Not liking the way the 1619 Project shows American history, Cotton is pushing to defund schools in states that decide to use it. Cotton said:
"We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can’t understand our country. As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the Union was built, but the Union was built in a way, as [President Abraham] Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction.”
Of the Jewish Holocaust Cotton told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:
“the Holocaust was also a necessary evil.” Appearing earlier today on the Fox New Channel’s morning show Fox and Friends, Cotton justified his remarks, arguing that “absent the Holocaust, Israel would not be a country today.”

Cotton went on to explain that, according to the book of Revelations, “it is absolutely necessary for the Jews to be in Israel” so that “the Beast can be destroyed at the Second Coming of Christ.”
So, according to Cotton, slaves were needed to build this country and Jews were needed so that the Christians could have their savior show up again. And people vote for this man.
WRONG
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

1st Toms Cotton needs to learn that the goal of the MSM is political activism, not truthful reporting. He really shouldn't talk about deep subjects that the media is always looking to take out of context just for the sake of convincing the public of anything nuanced with regards to the history of the nation. people either already respect the country warts and all or they hate it and want to tear it down. there is no middle ground.

However, of course the media is lying about what he said.

"Fact check: No, Tom Cotton did not say he believes slavery is a necessary evil"
Here is Cotton's quote, intentionally explaining his historiographical qualms with the 1619 Project's framing our founding, not his own personal feelings about the slavery's role in our founding ideology:

We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can’t understand our country. As the Founding Fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ssary-evil

Here's what Lincoln said of the Founding Fathers in his 1854 Peoria speech:

The argument of "Necessity" was the only argument they ever admitted in favor of slavery; and so far, and so far only as it carried them, did they ever go. They found the institution existing among us, which they could not help; and they cast blame upon the British King for having permitted its introduction. BEFORE the constitution, they prohibited its introduction into the north-western Territory---the only country we owned, then free from it. AT the framing and adoption of the constitution, they forbore to so much as mention the word "slave" or "slavery" in the whole instrument. In the provision for the recovery of fugitives, the slave is spoken of as a "PERSON HELD TO SERVICE OR LABOR." In that prohibiting the abolition of the African slave trade for twenty years, that trade is spoken of as "The migration or importation of such persons as any of the States NOW EXISTING, shall think proper to admit," &c. These are the only provisions alluding to slavery. Thus, the thing is hid away, in the constitution, just as an afflicted man hides away a wen or a cancer, which he dares not cut out at once, lest he bleed to death; with the promise, nevertheless, that the cutting may begin at the end of a given time. Less than this our fathers COULD not do; and NOW [MORE?] they WOULD not do. Necessity drove them so far, and farther, they would not go. But this is not all. The earliest Congress, under the constitution, took the same view of slavery. They hedged and hemmed it in to the narrowest limits of necessity.

In 1794, they prohibited an out-going slave-trade---that is, the taking of slaves FROM the United States to sell.

In 1798, they prohibited the bringing of slaves from Africa, INTO the Mississippi Territory---this territory then comprising what are now the States of Mississippi and Alabama. This was TEN YEARS before they had the authority to do the same thing as to the States existing at the adoption of the constitution.

In 1800 they prohibited AMERICAN CITIZENS from trading in slaves between foreign countries---as, for instance, from Africa to Brazil.

In 1803 they passed a law in aid of one or two State laws, in restraint of the internal slave trade.

In 1807, in apparent hot haste, they passed the law, nearly a year in advance to take effect the first day of 1808---the very first day the constitution would permit---prohibiting the African slave trade by heavy pecuniary and corporal penalties.

In 1820, finding these provisions ineffectual, they declared the trade piracy, and annexed to it, the extreme penalty of death. While all this was passing in the general government, five or six of the original slave States had adopted systems of gradual emancipation; and by which the institution was rapidly becoming extinct within these limits.

Thus we see, the plain unmistakable spirit of that age, towards slavery, was hostility to the PRINCIPLE, and toleration, ONLY BY NECESSITY.

In Lincoln's famous 1860 Cooper Union speech, he noted that of the 39 framers of the Constitution, 22 had voted on the question of banning slavery in the new territories. Twenty of the 22 voted to ban it, while another one of the Constitution's framers--George Washington--signed into law legislation enforcing the Northwest Ordinance that banned slavery in the Northwest Territories. At Cooper Union, Lincoln also quoted Thomas Jefferson, who had argued in favor of Virginia emancipation: "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly...."

To be sure, the Founding Fathers weren't abolitionists. But they were overwhelmingly antislavery.

https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyc ... speech.htm

So Tom cotton did not say *he" felt slavery was a necessary evil but that the founding fathers felt slavery was a necessary evil, and intentionally left the constitution's definition of persons open to be interpreted for the eventual freeing of slaves like Lincoln confirmed. and Lincoln's own speech backs that claim up. MORE FAKE NEWS, NEXT.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 pm Is anything about what he said contrary to the belief of most of the country in between New York and LA?

Religious people believe that. Most of your country is religious in the evangelical way.
Oh nooooooo. Normal people don’t use religion to justify horrible and inhumane acts like slavery or the holocaust.

This dude sounds crazy.
He didn't justify shit, read my post ^^^
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 am
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 pm Is anything about what he said contrary to the belief of most of the country in between New York and LA?

Religious people believe that. Most of your country is religious in the evangelical way.
Oh nooooooo. Normal people don’t use religion to justify horrible and inhumane acts like slavery or the holocaust.

This dude sounds crazy.
I did read some of it before you quoted me, just did not comment on it. I already read his quote and posting someone else’s spin/interpretation didn’t change my opinion.

Im not in the mood for your race trolling right now, maybe tomorrow.

Good night
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:29 am

This dude sounds crazy.
I did read some of it before you quoted me, just did not comment on it. I already read his quote and posting someone else’s spin/interpretation didn’t change my opinion.

Good night
lol, whatever. I didn't make this post. the OP made a post "race trolling" according to your standards, I am dismantling the F***ing lies told here on a daily basis. Of course you are in the mood to bash a republican based on a lie but not in the mood to hear the truth when its goes against the narrative you WANT to accept.

oh, its not anyone else's spin. OP literally misquoted Sen Cotton. night night.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Cotton's basic premise is incorrect. There is no reason to withhold funds from schools that teach the 1619 project. More people should know about what happened in 1619 and why it was significant.

Here is his really stupid quote, calling the 1619 Project "a racially divisive, revisionist account of history that denies the noble principles of freedom and equality on which our nation was founded. Not a single cent of federal funding should go to indoctrinate young Americans with this left-wing garbage."

Acknowledging the truth about slavery as the linchpin of North American economics is not racially divisive, it is a step in the right direction. The events took place as described; revealing it is not revisionist or "left-wing." The project highlights the yawning chasm between America's stated principles of freedom and equality and actual American behavior throughout our history. Only with this knowledge can people appreciate how much progress we have made in closing that gap and how much work still remains.

"Indoctrination" just means teaching information that is valued by your political opponents. The information is true and important and should be taught.

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:57 am

Good night
lol, whatever. I didn't make this post. the OP made a post "race trolling" according to your standards, I am dismantling the F***ing lies told here on a daily basis. Of course you are in the mood to bash a republican based on a lie but not in the mood to hear the truth when its goes against the narrative you WANT to accept.

Cotton is a religious extremist. I’ll judge by his actual words not by the right wing Examiner trying to spin the meaning of his words.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 am
Mr.Smile wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:57 am

Good night

Cotton is a religious extremist. I’ll judge by his actual words not by the right wing Examiner trying to spin the meaning of his words.
his actual words were in reference to the founding fathers, not his own opinion. you misquoted him. and tom cotton retweeted the WE article so he felt they represented him well.

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Cotton is as much an idiot and fool as those who believe as he does.

“absent the Holocaust, Israel would not be a country today.”

But he's correct about that ^
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

While I do agree that those things eventually led to good and better outcomes, I disagree that they were “necessary”. That’s a horrible way to put it. We should know better than to “need” such atrocities to do good things. If anything, we should learn not to “need” to sink that low for good things to happen.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic