Another COVID school post s/o

Has your school announced their plans for the 2020-2021 school year?

Yes
20%
No
63%
Other
18%

Total votes: 40
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 pm My highschooler doesn't even have a schedule yet. She's going into grade 12 and freaking out because they don't have her scheduled in any classes she actually asked for. It looks like they've just stuck kids anywhere right now until they know what's going on. We don't go back till after labour day, though.
How do they just stick students anywhere? There are prerequisites for university and such? I know there was talk in our district about only applied courses here and some parents lost their minds with this as this would mean that students would have to take a fifth year of high school, and AP courses would fall by the wayside. As it is university and college for the 2021 - 2022 year is going to be a mess as many students are taking a gap year and we will see the marks required for courses skyrocket. My son is going to be upset if he cannot do gym, and my friends daughter is not sure what is happening as she is in a arts school and music may not go next year. We have not got our schedule yet but usually do not see them till late July anyway. Most want their child back in school (at least the ones I know), they feel that their child regressed with the online learning. Did not help that the schools announced that the mark they had at shutdown would not go lower, only higher (if deserved).
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:44 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 pm My highschooler doesn't even have a schedule yet. She's going into grade 12 and freaking out because they don't have her scheduled in any classes she actually asked for. It looks like they've just stuck kids anywhere right now until they know what's going on. We don't go back till after labour day, though.
How do they just stick students anywhere? There are prerequisites for university and such? I know there was talk in our district about only applied courses here and some parents lost their minds with this as this would mean that students would have to take a fifth year of high school, and AP courses would fall by the wayside. As it is university and college for the 2021 - 2022 year is going to be a mess as many students are taking a gap year and we will see the marks required for courses skyrocket. My son is going to be upset if he cannot do gym, and my friends daughter is not sure what is happening as she is in a arts school and music may not go next year. We have not got our schedule yet but usually do not see them till late July anyway. Most want their child back in school (at least the ones I know), they feel that their child regressed with the online learning. Did not help that the schools announced that the mark they had at shutdown would not go lower, only higher (if deserved).
As of now the kids are just assigned random classes. No schedule has been sent out but you can search the school's class database using student number which is how the students are seeing that they're schedule right now is a shit show. I'm guessing it's not going to be their actual schedule and the counesllors are trying to figure out how to work everything for next year. As it stands now 3 of dd's friends wouldn't even be able to graduate based on what they're scheduled for.

DD is taking an integrated arts diploma for Drama and as of right now they don't know what's happening with the majority of her courses. She doesn't want to have to do another Drama course through elearning. Zoom calls for a drama class are only entertaining for those of us listening through the door, apparently.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:53 pm
highlandmum wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:44 pm
As of now the kids are just assigned random classes. No schedule has been sent out but you can search the school's class database using student number which is how the students are seeing that they're schedule right now is a shit show. I'm guessing it's not going to be their actual schedule and the counesllors are trying to figure out how to work everything for next year. As it stands now 3 of dd's friends wouldn't even be able to graduate based on what they're scheduled for.

DD is taking an integrated arts diploma for Drama and as of right now they don't know what's happening with the majority of her courses. She doesn't want to have to do another Drama course through elearning. Zoom calls for a drama class are only entertaining for those of us listening through the door, apparently.
Oh, the arts where Zoom is worthless. My DD had a couple of dance classes for her solo through Zoom and it was funny to me but not so much for her and her teacher, half the time she was off the screen as she would jump out of the way. Then some of the dancers had no room to run their dances, it was a mess.
Locked Previous topicNext topic