Could you feed 4 for $400 a month?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I've just been going over my budget and I'm so far overbudget on groceries for the past few months! After moving some things around I'm left with just about $400 for this month. I usually spend about $650 and during the pandemic I've been spending closer to $900 for 2 adults and 2 children.
I'm going to try, but I'm not sure we can make it without going overbudget again. Could you do it? What would your meals look like? None of us are attending work or school outside of the home so almost all meals will be at home. This would be for this month only.

*disclaimer: I'm not fishing for a handout or any sort of financial help, we can move money from elsewhere if need be*
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No. I spend $400-500 a week to feed 4 people.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I could if we were eating pasta, rice and beans, ramen, hot dogs etc. Since we wouldn’t want to eat that for the whole month I couldn’t. We live in a higher cost of living state and highly taxed so food is a little more expensive here.
Nvl0707
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Nope, we do about $250 a week.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I could with a lot of rice, potatoes, pasta and casseroles. Breakfast would be oatmeal. I'd get the steel cut kind so it would stick to their ribs until lunchtime. You can get a couple of meals with a big casserole, add rice or pasta to stretch it. Lots of whole fryers or bulk frozen chicken quarters and hamburger meat. Cottage pie (like Shepherds but with hamburger), and baked spaghetti with penne pasta would go a long way and I make a chicken noodle casserole with baked chicken, frozen mixed veggies and noodles. You can make a gravy from the chicken drippings and the giblets and add some milk or half and half to make it creamy and thicken with some cornstarch or flour and mix that in the casserole. I usually use a rotisserie chicken and cream of chicken soup with some marjoram and a bit of garlic and onion thrown in for my sauce. There'd be a lot of leftovers.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Depends on your COL is like. I live in a low COL area and could pull it off but the meals certainly wouldn’t be anything fancy. Cereal for breakfast. Sandwiches for lunch. Soups, hot dogs, rice, lots of chicken for dinner.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Could I use my current pantry & freezer? Yes, but even then, it would be a challenge, lol.

I am pretty spoiled when it comes to my grocery budget. My family would definitely not be thrilled and would probably moan & groan, if I was going that economical. We are also a family of 5, with two growing boys, one who starts some athletic camps next week!
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Easily, but a lot more food is available free to me that most people would refuse to eat.

If o had to go on a budget, we would eat much more foraged food.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:11 pm Easily, but a lot more food is available free to me that most people would refuse to eat.

If o had to go on a budget, we would eat much more foraged food.
Like mushrooms, crickets and edible clover? Or like dumpster diving?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It would depend where you live and how frugal you were, but to feed four people properly with good nutrition in the U.S. or Canada, I couldn't.
Locked Previous topicNext topic