National coin shortage.

bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

bluebunnybabe wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 am
bmw29 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:50 pm
bluebunnybabe wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 pm I’m not aware of that problem here, but I’m not surprised. The majority of the banks around here are drive through only right now. Can’t deposit change through the drive through. I have a big bucket of change myself due to the credit union being closed. 🤷‍♀️
My father in law took $85 in change to the drive through window at his bank last week and they took it. Haha
Haha hopefully he rolled it up.
There’s no way to give it to them at ours. It’s the kind with the tubes, not the kind with an actual window you can drive up to. I think you can make an appointment if you need to go inside for something. I just can’t be bothered.
I don't know if he did or not but my mother in law said she couldn't lift the bag. Haha
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Huh, I've got 6 coffee cans full of change. Maybe I should take them to the bank. Lol
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I keep a jar of change and when it gets full enough I cash it in. I’m sure many others do too. Couple that with more people paying with debit and credit cards there would be less coinage in the system. Not rocket science.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have heard of it but not experienced it. I am sure if it comes down to it laundromats will either implement credit card machines or maybe do some type of prepaid cards like what is used at Chuck E Cheese.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I haven't heard about this yet. But a while ago when it was mentioned that some country (maybe China?) was collecting and destroying infected currency, many thought the member that mentioned that was nuts. I believe that it probably did happen and so, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this might be occurring with coin.

That said, though, if coins were removed (or were GOING to be removed), laundromats would switch to a CARD READER mechanism (versus COIN pay). No worries. But if you are worried, go buy $100.00 worth of quarters. :)
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 pm I was in Walmart today getting laundry detergent and a few other things when over the loud speakers they mentioned having a national coin shortage and only cards were able to be used and half of the self checkouts were closed. I looked it up and it's a thing I found many articles about it. I have to use quarters to do our laundry and now I'm worried that many others are going to get crazy like with the toilet paper, meat and other things and I won't be able to get money to do our laundry. I feel the need to go and get a lot of quarters but then I will be the problem when people start panicking. Have you had this problem in your area?
Anonymous 6

Unread post

lol. I didn't read your response until after I posted mine. I agree, carters! lol
carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 am I have heard of it but not experienced it. I am sure if it comes down to it laundromats will either implement credit card machines or maybe do some type of prepaid cards like what is used at Chuck E Cheese.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Not sure how BIG your bucket of coin is but I got rid of my husband's week by week at the grocery store. I always use self check out. Each time I went to the store, I dropped into the coin payment slot approximately $3.00 each time. It got rid of the coin and at no expense to us.

FYI, though...I'd take a good look at your coins and make sure none of them have silver in them. If they do, I'd take them to a local dealer. You may be surprised at how much those rinky dink silver coins get you.
bluebunnybabe wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 pm I’m not aware of that problem here, but I’m not surprised. The majority of the banks around here are drive through only right now. Can’t deposit change through the drive through. I have a big bucket of change myself due to the credit union being closed. 🤷‍♀️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe if the bank will take my change for free I'll hand it over. They usually don't even if I roll it so I guess they just got what they deserve.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't think there's a shortage in Canada, but I haven't really checked into it because I don't have to.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I saw a sign in the store yesterday about using exact change if possible because of the shortage.
Locked Previous topicNext topic