Which would you have gone for?

HaggardWitch
Countess
Countess

Unread post

When I took an Intro to Forensics class, my professor said the FBI requires a college degree and 5 years work experience. Couldn't she join the police force and get trained for crime scene investigation?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Speak to the department chair of the less expensive college and ask about contacts upon graduation. Sometimes the smaller colleges have the best connections - sometimes they don't. How many people have gone into the position your daughter wants upon graduation - that is the question.

As an example, the profession my DD wants to go into upon graduation is highly specialized. Most universities/colleges offer the training but three stand out as far as recruitment. One is well known and other two are not. Sometimes the connections make a bigger difference than the educational program.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Why would I even consider the college that didn't offer the major I was interested in?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:22 pm If your dd got into a local, accredited but barely known college that was a cheap option and had the major she wanted, and a well-known, highly-ranked college that was a lot more expensive (still affordable but definitely putting financial strain) and didn’t offer the major she was interested in. Which would you think was better? Do you think the school where you get the degree from matters?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 pm Why would I even consider the college that didn't offer the major I was interested in?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:22 pm If your dd got into a local, accredited but barely known college that was a cheap option and had the major she wanted, and a well-known, highly-ranked college that was a lot more expensive (still affordable but definitely putting financial strain) and didn’t offer the major she was interested in. Which would you think was better? Do you think the school where you get the degree from matters?
Most colleges offer a variation. So, for example, if you are looking for a Criminal Justice program. Some colleges will offer Sociology - Crime and Society instead. Similar majors but different emphasis. Another example is that there are only a few universities that offer journalism majors but all offer political science, english, etc. majors. For a career in journalism, often the different majors are interchangeable.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Yes. As long as I could graduate from the college with a degree that would allow me to practice in my field of interest, I'd consider the college.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:51 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 pm Why would I even consider the college that didn't offer the major I was interested in?
Most colleges offer a variation. So, for example, if you are looking for a Criminal Justice program. Some colleges will offer Sociology - Crime and Society instead. Similar majors but different emphasis. Another example is that there are only a few universities that offer journalism majors but all offer political science, english, etc. majors. For a career in journalism, often the different majors are interchangeable.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The one that had the major that interested her.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:45 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 am My dd had this happen.
She was recruited by a private College to play Lacrosse for them . Their tuition was $140,000/ yr & they were willing to give her a $20,000 scholarship.
She & I went back & forth about it, my argument was she would walk out of College with a degree & in so much debt.

She ended up going to & playing Lacrosse for a more local college .With her scholarships & financial aid , shes basically going to college for free. She has about $600-$800/semester she pays for fees not covered by her scholarship. And instead of her taking out school loans, I pay the fees & she pays me back weekly.
The most I have heard of is $60K.
It seems as though some of you dont realize that private religious colleges are very expensive. Some do not understand that college students are charged by the semester not a year.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why even bother with a college that doesn't have the major she wants?
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Bubelah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 am My dd had this happen.
She was recruited by a private College to play Lacrosse for them . Their tuition was $140,000/ yr & they were willing to give her a $20,000 scholarship.
She & I went back & forth about it, my argument was she would walk out of College with a degree & in so much debt.

She ended up going to & playing Lacrosse for a more local college .With her scholarships & financial aid , shes basically going to college for free. She has about $600-$800/semester she pays for fees not covered by her scholarship. And instead of her taking out school loans, I pay the fees & she pays me back weekly.
It seems as though some of you dont realize that private religious colleges are very expensive. Some do not understand that college students are charged by the semester not a year.
Pepperdine University is a little over 70K/yr (not semester) before student aid. After, about 35k. If OP was talking about total tuition for 4 years, before any type of aid, I'd buy that. As it stands, nope.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Bubelah wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 am

Pepperdine University is a little over 70K/yr (not semester) before student aid. After, about 35k. If OP was talking about total tuition for 4 years, before any type of aid, I'd buy that. As it stands, nope.
Ok and ????? There are some private religious colleges out there that are VERY expensive. I'm sorry some of you cant seem to understand that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic