Is it jealousy or mom guilt?

Unread post

On social media Serena Williams mentioned how her it was 319 days since she gave birth to her daughter and how she's spent 319 of those with her. She mentioned how lucky and fortunate she was. She got the usual positive comments but then she got the "Your so lucky and don't even know it, I have to work 80 hours just to survive", "I wish I had all your money so I could do the same", etc. Is it jealousy? She wan't putting anyone down but some momsd felt she was.
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My sil would love that.
I shit glitter
Lo428
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Probably a little of both.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A bit of both. I didn’t want to have kids until we were a financially ready. I don’t work so I spend most of my days with my kids. They say with grandparents if my husband and have a 2 day getaway but that’s only maybe once a year and not until they’re over 1.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aww, that is sweet.

I am sure some of them are envious and every mother has guilt for one thing or another, lol. So both. I feel bad for them though. I remember how I was working when my first and second were wee little ones, it was awful. I was so defensive, scared, jealous, and unsure of my decisions, even though at the time I would not admit that. But with time comes wisdom, I am much more at peace now with my career goals
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well... maybe a bit of both. But ultimately, she was sort of “showing off” her privileges. Maybe she thought she was just expressing her happiness, but there’s a fine line between sharing your happiness and rubbing it in other’s faces. And she probably didn’t intend the latter, but some people felt that way.
To give you an example, my dil recently remodeled her whole apartment. When it was done she had a housewarming for the family. I know she wasn’t showing off, she would never do that, she’s the most caring person in the world, but I felt bad. Because it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, I hate my house, but I just can’t afford it. Call it jealousy if you want, I know part of it is jealousy, but it hurt. Seeing someone have something I want and can’t have. It’s human nature.
So while Serena maybe didn’t have any malicious intent with it, she lacked the sensitivity to understand that what she’s sharing is a privilege many people would love to have, but can’t afford. And it bruises feelings, it creates jealousy and in some people it can inspire feelings of guilt.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It does come off as bragging to me. I could SAH home too. I have in the past. It's not for me and I still think it comes off as braggy and holier than thou.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

both.
anon 1

Unread post

famousglm714 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm It does come off as bragging to me. I could SAH home too. I have in the past. It's not for me and I still think it comes off as braggy and holier than thou.
I think she's still trying to make herself feel better about missing her daughters first steps because she was training.
anon 6

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 pm Well... maybe a bit of both. But ultimately, she was sort of “showing off” her privileges. Maybe she thought she was just expressing her happiness, but there’s a fine line between sharing your happiness and rubbing it in other’s faces. And she probably didn’t intend the latter, but some people felt that way.
To give you an example, my dil recently remodeled her whole apartment. When it was done she had a housewarming for the family. I know she wasn’t showing off, she would never do that, she’s the most caring person in the world, but I felt bad. Because it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, I hate my house, but I just can’t afford it. Call it jealousy if you want, I know part of it is jealousy, but it hurt. Seeing someone have something I want and can’t have. It’s human nature.
So while Serena maybe didn’t have any malicious intent with it, she lacked the sensitivity to understand that what she’s sharing is a privilege many people would love to have, but can’t afford. And it bruises feelings, it creates jealousy and in some people it can inspire feelings of guilt.
So we can't share anything now for fear that other people will feel bad about it? I see pregnancy announcements everywhere should people stop sharing them because of those who can't or have difficulty having children?
Locked Previous topicNext topic