Meat

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There’s no meat shortage here, but it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to me. We’re not big meat eaters, we really just eat meat or chicken on weekends and we wouldn’t have a problem eating fish or vegetarian for a while. In fact, my kids prefer it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 am

Half a cow (not veal), a lamb, chickens, ducks, a hog, and venison. We have a couple of deep freezers and what we buy rotates by season.
Weird, we eat red meat 4-5 days a week, honestly eating much more than is healthy, when we buy half a cow and it lasts us like an entire year...can't imagine going through half a cow if we were only eating meat twice a week. Same with venison and even pork would last a long time if only eating it 2 times a week.
We have seven people in our family, soon to be eight. plus, we will split some animals with my sister's family and just keep it in our freezer, and we host often. We also use the meat for breakfasts and lunches. It all gets used.
Ahh, eating a lot more meat then you alluded with the 2 times a week then, big eaters for such small children.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am
Poietes wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:32 am We got a quarter cow from my sister and bill this winter and dh got a deer last fall (wish he would have gotten a couple more) so we are good on beef and burger. I have some bacon in my freezer to last a while. The only thing that I wish I could find was better chicken. Otherwise I'm not to worried, we can last if we need. I can also afford to buy the more expensive meat if we absolutely need to, I don't really want to so I hope things get figured out before it comes to that point.

The only thing that really pisses me off about this whole situation is that the farmers are getting screwed, The middle man and stores are making bank and the farmers get pretty much nothing for their livestock.
Who got the $19 billion from the recent Covid bailout? Or the $15 billion from last years trade-aid?
Who? Not any of my friends or family who are getting next to nothing for their livestock or lost nearly all of their crops due to flooding. Do you actually know any farmers?
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We are not experiencing a meat shortage here. I’m not sure if the prices went up. If I see something I like I just get it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:05 pm We are not experiencing a meat shortage here. I’m not sure if the prices went up. If I see something I like I just get it.
That usually to describe me too, lol, so when I found stew meat & I went to get my usual 4 pounds and realized it was 20.00/pound, lol, and I was like huh? 80$ for stew, seems... a bit extravagant, even for our foodie family. :lol:
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My husband and I are vegetarians so not a big deal for us but our kids are omnivores so I cook meat several times a week for them. We are fortunately to be living in a rural area so just buying local. Prices are a ton higher but as we are not buying much, we're able to work it in the budget.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am
jas wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:52 am When people were out hunting toilet paper, we kinda thought - what's next? And stocked our garage freezer. We're good for now as we use meat sparingly and there's a produce farm up the road, but it is concerning. Everything has a domino effect. Trying to think "what's next" and stay ahead. Hurricane season is coming... I'm currently stocking up on batteries and water and things I know my kids will eat should we be hit.
I hadn’t even thought of hurricane season! I’m actually a little surprised because in the back of my mind I knew it was approaching. I wonder, if people need to evacuate, how that will impact this pandemic and vice versa.
Move out of flood prone coastal areas and get generators.
We were only at Parris Island for 3 yrs and when we had to evacuate we went to my uncle’s place down in Georgia. Do most just stay in state but move further inland?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:13 pm My husband and I are vegetarians so not a big deal for us but our kids are omnivores so I cook meat several times a week for them. We are fortunately to be living in a rural area so just buying local. Prices are a ton higher but as we are not buying much, we're able to work it in the budget.
I teased my family, we might be going vegetarian, my DH and DSs were not thrilled, lol. It does increase our overall grocery bill. I have quite a bit in the freezer, but then when I take something out, I have this compulsion to replace it, lol.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Red meat prices have risen; but I've had no difficulty finding any of it in recent days.
Chicken is plentiful and still can be found on sale.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:38 pm Red meat prices have risen; but I've had no difficulty finding any of it in recent days.
Chicken is plentiful and still can be found on sale.
That's AWESOME! That is not the case here, or maybe I need to venture farther from home.
Locked Previous topicNext topic