F***ing frustrating!!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So, college kids are royally fucked in a catch-22...

Employers want them to have professional experience.

All the internships want them to have professional experience.

Problem: Opportunities do not take kids without professional experience, but then they never have the chance to gain that professional experience if every opportunity requires that they already have that. What on earth are they supposed to do?!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Most interns do not require that. What are they trying to intern?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am sorry if your child is running into that, is that what you guys are running into? I feel bad for college grads right now. So many hiring freezes.

But two things, just because they say "experience" -- I'd still recommend you go for it, think if of it more as a recommendation than an absolute.

Second, one thing I am trying to do a better job of with my children, which does not come natural to me, is teach them the value of networking -- really be friendly and keep in communication with people, as that makes a huge difference. For example, that old college room-mate's friend has an uncle that works some place you want to get in at...people are often willing the help out, more than we realize. People just need to seem authentically nice & have the courage to ask.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't think most internships expect "professional experience" in the field. But yes...having worked any paid job in high school will get you into an internship faster than if you've never worked.

Both my kids were able to get internships (unpaid) as freshmen. My daughter's internship led to a paid internship and then a job offer in the same organization.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Internship requires professional experience?

My recommendation to high school kids and even college kids is: If you can't find a job, find a VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY and stick with it for a while. Then, when you apply for a job, you can say, "When I volunteered I did XYZ (skill)."
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm So, college kids are royally fucked in a catch-22...

Employers want them to have professional experience.

All the internships want them to have professional experience.

Problem: Opportunities do not take kids without professional experience, but then they never have the chance to gain that professional experience if every opportunity requires that they already have that. What on earth are they supposed to do?!
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My son was able to intern at a large shampoo company during college and had zero professional experience. Keep searching as opportunities are out there. I agree with what Livewhatyoulove said about the networking. My son is always networking and landed a very high paying job after graduation. That said I'm sure it depends on the area you live in. He is in the NJ/NYC area so lots of opportunities for professional jobs.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

jas wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:56 pm Most interns do not require that. What are they trying to intern?
She wants to do coding. Everything she has inquired about requires professional experience, so she is getting discouraged.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm My son was able to intern at a large shampoo company during college and had zero professional experience. Keep searching as opportunities are out there. I agree with what Livewhatyoulove said about the networking. My son is always networking and landed a very high paying job after graduation. That said I'm sure it depends on the area you live in. He is in the NJ/NYC area so lots of opportunities for professional jobs.
We don’t live in a big city, so unfortunately not too many opportunities around here. She is getting frustrated, as she keeps running into the professional experience catch-22.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Volunteering?

I don't really know. My oldest just finished his Freshman year of high school. But he is already volunteering in the field that he plans to have a career in. And I don't know if his field even has internships or not, but I figure when he tries to get a job in his career, seeing that volunteer experience on his resume will be a bonus and will put him a step ahead.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm My son was able to intern at a large shampoo company during college and had zero professional experience. Keep searching as opportunities are out there. I agree with what Livewhatyoulove said about the networking. My son is always networking and landed a very high paying job after graduation. That said I'm sure it depends on the area you live in. He is in the NJ/NYC area so lots of opportunities for professional jobs.
We don’t live in a big city, so unfortunately not too many opportunities around here. She is getting frustrated, as she keeps running into the professional experience catch-22.
My second son will probably experience this. He is also in college now as a business major but does not want to live in the NYC area. So here in our coastal town there really isn't any big business. I told him this a million times.
Locked Previous topicNext topic