How far should we go with this?

Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

If you have a child who's deathly allergic to something, you probably shouldn't have it in your home at all.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The most fair thing to demand IMO is to demand certain flavors be processed in plants with no peanuts. Many cookie companies/candy companies do that already. However I do not think they are obligated to.

If the girl has such a deathly allergy she should have been taught to read every package carefully because almost all of them state if they are manufactured in plants that also manufacturer peanut products.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, I understand the mother is upset and grieving, but that's insane to expect a company to get rid of an entire product that some people can't eat.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Love
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm shocked by how many food items have peanuts in them still even though so many are deathly allergic to them.

It's likely the packaging says there are peanuts in the cookies, so it is obviously not Chip Ahoy's fault. However, there was some neglagence on someone's part. Without knowing more of the story it's hard to say whose.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm Put this on the front and then you know it is safe. If you do not see that and you child has a allergy - read the ingredients. Even if you see it still read the ingredients. It is our own responsibility to keep our families safe when it come to this.
This.

It should be marked very large, but the responsibility remains with the parent and or child of they are old enough to read labels.
It's ridiculous to request a company completely stop making a product. It's less ridiculous to ask that they mark it with info that will help save someone's life.
anon

Unread post

Foreverme123 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm If you have a child who's deathly allergic to something, you probably shouldn't have it in your home at all.
She was at a party and the whole front was ripped open and underneath so only the cookies were showing. I guess the girl thought it looked like the safe cookies they have at home but it wasn't.
flowerfunleah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think the mom is experience indescribable pain that comes with the grief that is losing a child and she feels the only way to feel better is to eradicate that which made her feel this way in the first place, i.e. getting rid of peanut butter cookies all together. I do agree with changing the packaging though to make peanut butter inclusion more obvious.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Very sad of course, but ultimately the parents of kids who have allergies are the ones responsible for their health. Just like every other aspect of raising kids.

Young kids must be taught to not accept any food except from their parents or their packed lunch. Older kids must read all labels.

The world should not cater or coddle anyone. Life is tough. Do your job, teach your kids, and stop making a fool of yourself by asking everyone to ban this or that.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The most she'll get out of it is a POSSIBLE package change. But off the market? She's off her rocker. (and rightfully so with the pain of losing her child)
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm I can't imagine the pain that mother feels. Obviously, she was wants peanut plant to become extinct if possible, so much anger, she likely cannot think straight.

But of course, the rest of the world goes on, and NO, we shouldn't take peanut products off the cookie shelf or out of the chips ahoy package.
This. Im sorry she lost her daughter. I can't even imagine. I have to wonder why the child didnt check the package they had come from. Her demands are coming from anger which is never good. And i dont think they should be met. Its not the cookie companies fault this happen.
I read this she was 16 and they looked identical to the ones they had already verified were safe for her. The top was opened so she didn't see that there was a small symbol that had reeses on it. She just saw they were chips ahoy. She thought she was being safe. The family is not blaming Chips ahoy either they are simply asking if they can change the color of the pkging to prevent this accident from every happening again.
Locked Previous topicNext topic